It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Wanna see where many Star Wars props (screen used) ends?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:48 am 

There's no question that's the original mask.

I knew it was the one even before the comparison was done....I'm still in shock. In my mind there's no need for comparisons at this point.

That full head casting. I saw that for sale years and years ago and now that is found too! I have to find out more about that but it is as incredible to me to see that again as it is [edit: to see] the original mask.

So it must have been sitting around at Elstree Studios and then Patrice got a hold of it somehow probably from there.

It stands to reason that he only has the mask otherwise he would have the helmet mounted to it as well. But the mask is the most important thing.

Last edited by SithLord on Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:54 am 
Site Admin

This is how it looked during the Chronicle Shoot after the repaint - if the Chronicle helmet is indeed the screen used helmet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:48 pm 

It is and I guess we can examine what was altered from any kind of repainting. I don't think it was a full repaint but should find out at some point :).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:03 pm 

Holy Jesus! Anyone set up a meeting with the owner, I volunteer to lend my photography to document it. I'll even bring full lighting and everything.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

SithLord wrote:
It is and I guess we can examine what was altered from any kind of repainting. I don't think it was a full repaint but should find out at some point :).

From what it appears in the video it doesn't look like it was repainted after that footprint ceremony repaint all those years ago. Any additional repainting would have further obscured details of the original paint and damage, which are still visible, so not saying too much, but I believe it is in the exact state of that original repaint, save for some age and wear and tear.

My Chronicle pictures, save for a few, aren't high res enough to say if the damage and details match up, so hopefully someone with better access to those pictures can get better helmet shots.

It's interesting to see what the repaint covered and what is still visible. It certainly softened some detail and sharpness ever so slightly, but man... just thinking that the real helmet is actually there. It's pretty awesome. I guess the owner will be overrun now by all of us maniacs.

Post subject: Wanna see where many Star Wars props (screen used) ends??
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:23 pm 

Unbelievable discovery. It is a travesty that this treasure is not in the USA or even the UK. Sorry if this is obvious, but if it was in California for promotions, Eller/Post/Chronicles photos, etc, why did Lucasfilm not retain it in the archives, but (I assume) instead allowed it to return to UK/Europe after the promotions? Did they technically not own the costumes?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:04 pm 

There was a decent (but small) side view of the mask at the very beginning of that video which I'd love to see captured, if anyone is up to it?

As far as how it got out of LFL hands, I heard a story from a very reliable source years ago (which I once told and some dismissed) that the entire suit was stolen from KE by a certain individual the very day that KE was to return it to LFL. I'll skip the details, but I've always believed it. About a decade later when the individual died, his widow sold it supposedly very cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:19 pm 
Random avatar

Contacted Mr. Girod today in the morning. Got his answer a few minutes ago. Sadly there is no chance to make a visit and look at all these SW props. Just got a link to buy their book or look at their internet pages. They seem to have an exhibition but not with Star Wars props at least not these which would be interesting for the guys of this group here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

Zuka Zamamee wrote:
There was a decent (but small) side view of the mask at the very beginning of that video which I'd love to see captured

Is this the shot you're referring to?

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/L9LQx7v.png)

Darth Niob wrote:
Contacted Mr. Girod today in the morning. Got his answer a few minutes ago. Sadly there is no chance to make a visit and look at all these SW props. Just got a link to buy their book or look at their internet pages. They seem to have an exhibition but not with Star Wars props at least not these which would be interesting for the guys of this group here.

Hm, dissappointing. And there are no plans to exhibit the mask in the (near) future?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:43 pm 

He means the original ANH mask seen from it's right side.

Let's not give up hope so soon ;).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

SithLord wrote:
He means the original ANH mask seen from it's right side.

Okay, two more grabs

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/TNRMZn3.png)

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/D8T1Mze.jpg)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:53 pm 
Random avatar

If you look at the stuff they have in there exhibitions you won't find much or anything from SW. All the holy SW grail props aren't shown anywhere except in their book. Perhaps that might be changed in the future but i see problems with Disney and Lucas.
Anyway....it certainly won't help if they got spammed with even more emails from us super nerds :lol
If there is a chance for them to publish them in an exhibition we will see it in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:27 pm 

Correction....super Vader nerd :cheers

What an incredible way to start the year!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:31 pm 
Random avatar

SithLord wrote:
Correction....super Vader nerd :cheers

What an incredible way to start the year!

Amen mate :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:17 pm 

Yep, I also knew it was THE original the minute I looked at that first pic Carsten posted. I did the comparisons just to show others. And no offense to anyone, but if you really have studied Vader, in particular the helmet and faceplate like I have and a few others here, you KNOW when you see the real deal. Much like a trooper or Fett , for lack of a better word "expert", knows when they see the real deal. That is no fake or forgery.

I also wrote him an email the day I saw this thread and was given the same standard email about no private views, here's a link to my book, follow us on facebook etc, etc etc.... What is shocking is that this faceplate and all of the collection, appears to have been shown in numerous exhibits all over Europe going back to 2011 according to his email and no one has ever posted a pic of that faceplate. Now that is pretty unreal.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next