It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Whats the most accurate fanmade Stormtrooper helmet?
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Okay it sounds like a loaded question and I have been around long enough to know better.

However...I am so tunnel visioned with my passion for Vader I actually know little about Stormtrooper helmets. I'm guessing the TE helmet is the best from brief reading over the years as It's supposedley from original moulds. I often overlook many threads regarding trooper's though and maybe I should study and find out for myself but I just have too much research going on with other things. I'm looking for an easy answer I guess, so forgive the ignorance.

TE, SDS, HDPE, GINO What's the best??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

Well... looking for ANH/ESB or RotJ accurateness? Also... looking for ANH stunt and hero accurateness? Also... looking only for the best... or also availability and affordability?

It's definitely a loaded question... but also a question that cannot be asked in any general fashion, but has to be asked in a very specific fashion, imo, to get the most desirable answers, without it potentially going south.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:25 pm 

These are the ones I have (so far). [only ANH styles]

TE 1
TE 2
SDS Hero
SDS Stunt

Out of these the TE1 stands out as the top. My TE2 is a softer pull than the TE1, but I have heard that TE2's can be sharper. SDS both seem to be assembled slightly wrong so they don't look quite right (I will be trying a re-assemble on my stunt soon).

With that said I'd kill to have Ginos Hero and Stunt, but chances are extremely slim getting one. Maybe one day (fingers crossed).

I will be ordering an AP soon, so I can compare this one too.

Hope this helps a bit.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

Cool thanks Doug.

Ahh okay.
Right so first question lets go with popularity a bit like ANH/ESB Vader is more popular than ROTJ., what's considered the most popular? ANH,ESB ROTJ.

Second question It's preference like everything but if you had to pick one out of the Hero or stunt which one??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:45 pm 

darthvaderv wrote:

Second question It's preference like everything but if you had to pick one out of the Hero or stunt which one??

I would choose the stunt over the hero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:48 pm 

It seems to me (and it may be based on availability) that populatity goes how the movies came out -- 1 ANH, 2 ESB, 3 ROTJ. It's strange but that is how I would rank them too. From what I've been reading, I think we will see a surge in ROTJ lids soon. :wink:

Hero or Stunt, for me Stunt hands down. Heros don't seem to capture what I remember about the movie when I was a kid.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

I think it is an availability thing too... like with Vader... more ANH available than anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

availability and cost are always issue's but what do you think may be the closest in resemblance to say the screen used stunt ANH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:57 pm 

NHM,
Availability-wise, can't the ANH lids be used to make accurate ESB lids? I'm not quite up to speed on the differences other than stickers used an frown black instead of grey.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:59 pm 

darthvaderv wrote:
availability and cost are always issue's but what do you think may be the closest in resemblance to say the screen used stunt ANH.

I'd say Gino and TE1. Both tough to get though.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

I heard Gino's was smaller in comparison, which resembles the screen used size more or is that untrue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:33 pm 

wannab wrote:
NHM,
Availability-wise, can't the ANH lids be used to make accurate ESB lids? I'm not quite up to speed on the differences other than stickers used an frown black instead of grey.

Doug

Yes you could make a decent ESB helmet from an ANH casting or whatever you want to call it.

However based on my own research (and that would make it a theory and not THE truth) I'm pretty convinced that a new batch of helmets and armours were produced for the production of ESB.

Not too many were screen used but one is there.

These helmets are very close to the ROTJ background helmets and could be THE ROTJ background helmets.

I also discovered that new sets of earcaps were probably used for some of the ANH refurbished helmets.

But that's another thread.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

HDPE wrote:
However based on my own research (and that would make it a theory and not THE truth) I'm pretty convinced that a new batch of helmets and armours were produced for the production of ESB.

Not too many were screen used but one is there.

These helmets are very close to the ROTJ background helmets and could be THE ROTJ background helmets.

Are you referring to this helmet? (ESB promo)

Image Image

My favorites are:

1: Gino Stunt/Hero
2: TE 1 Stunt/Hero
3: SDS Stunt/Hero

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:43 pm 

StarWars Collector wrote:
Are you referring to this helmet? (ESB promo)

Hi Leo,

I was talking about the Carbon Chamber trooper that gets knocked off by Chewie, but yes this could be one of them, def not screen used in this condition but ESB era, (production made) and perhaps altered for this promo shot,... could have been used on screen as well, who knows...

I have spotted at least one other 'stunt trooper' who has the white edge trimming on his armour in ESB (one that gets blasted in the corridor of the the Cloud City)

I think we need to get back on topic, sorry.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:02 pm 

darthvaderv wrote:
I heard Gino's was smaller in comparison, which resembles the screen used size more or is that untrue?

It's my understanding that they are the same generation, but only Gino or TE can speak to this -- and that is asking for a fight from what I've seen in the past.

This is how I see the two, they both seem to have the same face plate, but the dome/backs are from slightly different (original) helmets as well as the ear caps. Now I don't know this as any sort of fact, it is just from looking real hard at pics I have gathered. This plus assembly could account for any size differential, the faces however should be the same size coming from the same original.

Speaking of assembly, the size (especially front to back) can vary dramatically depending on how you trim and assemble.

Doug

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next