It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:50 pm 

TE2's are bumpy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

clutch wrote:
TE2's are bumpy.

Hehe... correct, because he's using TE's molds. :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:01 pm 

Midnight Trooper wrote:
Your Hero helmets are superb and they have no competition in my mind. :cool:

Agreed. I actually dislike the Hero design and love the Stunt, but GINO's Hero helmet is the absolute best I have seen online.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:10 pm 

GINO,

I think we all believe your work deserves acknowledgement over TE, and I empathize that your past dealings with TE did not go well.

That being said, for those of us looking to acquire an accurate stunt helmet for $450 made out of HPDE, are you able to offer us a choice in this situation? If so, PM me, and let's talk business.

If however your pricing is much, much higher, or if you don't feel you want any more than a select few own your V2, then people like me actually do *NOT* have a choice other than TE, and we have to bring our business to someone you dislike.

I am sympathetic to your pain and feelings of betrayal, and I wish you didn't have to go through all that with TE. But my options are severely limited, unless in all your posts to this thread you are saying you are offering another option to collectors.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:59 am 

OT: I love that White Fett.... planning on doing my Sgt. Fang helmet that way. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:59 am 

Gino, I never get tired of seeing those lids! :toothy

Put me on a list if/when you decide to get back to doing troopers!

BTW, thanks for the help on my Vader -- one step closer! :wink:

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:28 am 
Random avatar
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Mac,
I understand your situation completely.
You have to weigh all the factors when picking a helmet. Not just one, and cost is certainly one of them just as is accuracy. I'd never fault anyone for picking another maker's helmet for reasons such as personal preference or cost. I only get defensive if someone were to make claims about another helmet being more accurate as I am certain that they are not and don't want people being misled.
I get asked about trooper stuff all the time and when I do, I always refer them to AP as I believe he puts out the best all around product (cost, accuracy, availability, trustworthyness, timeliness, durability).
Mine is by far the most accurate, but if these other criteria are important to you, mine not be for you (except for trustworthyness of course). :wink:

Matt's bumpy cap back is a totally refurbished shadow of its former self. It was practically destroyed with huge chunks missing out of many areas. No way its restoration would produce a screen accurate piece, but I know it gets marketed to the unknowing as such. That is unfortunate for them.
Also, his formed parts are substandard when compared to the quality of other makers out there as I'm sure lots of seasoned trooper enthusiasts would agree. Not to mention, he's a pretty unstable guy. Send money at your own risk. Don't take my word for it, ask around.

I haven't made any new helmets for a few years. I might be selling off one or two from my personal collection at some point in the future, but I haven't decided. If I do, I plan to auction them off as they are really rare and limited.

I think things lose their special-ness when there are lots of them floating around. It's very important to me that the stuff I make or offer maintain its special-ness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:26 pm 

Here's a pic from me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:39 pm 

GINO wrote:
I get asked about trooper stuff all the time and when I do, I always refer them to AP as I believe he puts out the best all around product (cost, accuracy, availability, trustworthyness, timeliness, durability).

Isn't the AP supposed to be smaller than the TE? I think I had seen some comparison shots on MEPD.net and for the life of me I can't explain why the AP is smaller, if it's supposedly accurate.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

CSMacLaren wrote:
GINO wrote:

Isn't the AP supposed to be smaller than the TE? I think I had seen some comparison shots on MEPD.net and for the life of me I can't explain why the AP is smaller, if it's supposedly accurate.

Some of it has to do with assembly, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:35 pm 
Random avatar
It has to do with recasting.

Basically a vacuum formed plastic casting will shrink slightly as it cools and locks onto the mould if left to go cold before removal. If you try taking a mould from inside that casting then it will naturally be slightly smaller, so the next forming over that mould will be smaller again as it cools.

The AP must be at least 3rd or 4th gen so imagine each time getiing smaller, only slightly mind you, but smaller none the less.

Every replica helmet is smaller than an original due the generations.

-Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:13 pm 
Random avatar

troopermaster wrote:
It has to do with recasting.

Basically a vacuum formed plastic casting will shrink slightly as it cools and locks onto the mould if left to go cold before removal. If you try taking a mould from inside that casting then it will naturally be slightly smaller, so the next forming over that mould will be smaller again as it cools.

The AP must be at least 3rd or 4th gen so imagine each time getiing smaller, only slightly mind you, but smaller none the less.

Every replica helmet is smaller than an original due the generations.

-Paul.

Hi TrooperMaster, I really like your stuff by the way. Would that therefore mean that a person would get a more accurate (size wise) helmet by taking a mould of the outside of the helmet and making a fiberglass helmet rather than a plastic one? Or does the fiberglass shrink to a certain degree as well? Just curious as to the technical aspect of the whole thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:08 pm 
Random avatar
Well making a fibreglass helmet from the outside might be better size wise but the shrinking is not that bad to be honest. Saying that though, once a casting has been taken from a shrunken casting and then reworked and sanded just gets smaller. The shrinking is only very slight but usually a formed piece won't go back onto the mould it was taken from just FYI :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:10 pm 

Troopermaster,

I just sent you a PM. I didn't know how else to contact you. Do check it out when you have a moment. Thanks!

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:11 pm 

HDPE wrote:
Here's a pic from me.

Who's the maker of this helmet?

- Mac

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next