It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:41 pm 

I like it, Andy! Outrageously expensive, but a very nice lid nonetheless. Also pretty cool to have something that has been touched by one of the original guys who worked in the OT. (Notice how I did not say sculpted, original molds, etc, etc.....don't want to fall into that trap!! :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

Well, no one can deny that AA worked on the Stormtroopers and other various vac-formed pieces. That is fact.

If they were cheaper I would probably also like to get one, but I just cannot justify a purchase with that price tag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:54 pm 

KevVader wrote:
I like it, Andy! Outrageously expensive, but a very nice lid nonetheless. Also pretty cool to have something that has been touched by one of the original guys who worked in the OT. (Notice how I did not say sculpted, original molds, etc, etc.....don't want to fall into that trap!! :wink: )

Thanks! Admittedly, I'm no expert, but certain things about this helmet appealed to me. I love the surface gloss of the plastic used.... It's very idealistic, but looks beautiful to me. And the whole involvement/lawsuit/controversey makes for a fun story to tell visitors to my prop room.

I never thought I'd get one of these, it became available to me for about 40% off retail. That was enough for me to bite.

Mac, here's a pic from 6 feet away....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:42 pm 

40% off....I don't blame you....its a great helmet and I would love to own one myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:59 am 

the stunt is a killer helmet. And supposedly that is THE helmet from the orig mold...and it looks like it (Unlike my battle spec which is admittedly a new creation). Personally I like my BS helmet (horrible acronym...note to self: do not use in future) although one thing I am considering is raising the brow. Rather i should say, re-drilling and tilting the face down for the same effect. I'm too much of a wuss to cut the brow. The battle specs are made with a lower brow (not quite as low as the Hero, but low) and I have no idea why. ANDREW IF YOU'RE GONNA TRY AND COPY THE STUNT, COPY THE STUNT. :angry4 It's not rocket science!!

Isn't it funny, this whole business of the subtleties of these helmets? But it SOOOOO makes a difference! Can't quite describe it.

Oh...and in my humblest of humble opinions, the ANH helmets RULE over all others!!!!

:as2

AJCG-- how is the vision thru those bubble lenses on the Hero?

SWC--thanks, m8, that is indeed SDS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:07 am 

Hi Crow,

To be honest with you...the hero helmet visibility is as bad as Luke says in the movie ...”you can not see a thing"
It is really distorted and I would not be surprised if after few minutes with it on you get bad headache :lol

A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:38 am 

I've trooped in a Hero (my old GF) and I can confirm it does make you feel like your smoking bad crack :lol

As others know, I too really like the SDS - but agree that the back and cap is odd, however the face is IMO the most accurate out there.

The one thing with the SDS is the assembly is often wrong, AA tends to slope the face down far too little. It looks a lot better if you remover the face, redrill a couple of holes and make the face more vertical. However I understand why people dont want to do this

Cheers

Jez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:11 am 
Site Admin

The cost of the thing would be a pretty high factor in why people feel reluctant in doing any mod-work, I would think.

I have nothing against the SDS helmets - I think they look nice - but the way they are made, the materials and the assembly could be better, imo... and the price is the helmets appeal killer for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:14 pm 

Well after looking over many of these photos, I may just attempt to mod my Battle Spec to raise the brow. And I actually think I might trim the actual brow, rather than re-drill. (**gulp** deep breath) It just bothers me how low it is.

this is a shot from SDS's battle spec photos page that shows things closer to how I want them:

Maybe not so much of a "swoop" down to the ends, but clearly more space above the eyes. In fact many of Mac's ref pics show very little swoop (curve) at the ends...more of a straight shot...like this:

To me, that makes a big diff in the overall look and feel. Not as large as the Sandtroopers by far, but more accurate to the ANH troopers.

After careful study, I actually think tilting the face down more might NOT be the thing to do, as the current angle looks almost spot-on.

Stay tuned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Keep in mind there's no such thing as "THE Stormtrooper look".
They all look slightly different due to trimming, casting and/or assembly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:06 am 

True that.

Well this might be the most anal-retentive thing I've ever done. I completely disassembled my helmet to trim off about 3/16" of brow material LOL. But I didn't want to over-do it. I figured I could always take off more if I wanted.
On the left is how it was, on the right is after the trim job. I must say I like it a bit better. (Not sure if it was worth all the f@$#%^$*%$ing trouble, but I like it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:31 am 

I like it. Its a subtle difference...but a noticable one. :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:11 am 

crow wrote:
True that.

Well this might be the most anal-retentive thing I've ever done. I completely disassembled my helmet to trim off about 3/16" of brow material LOL. But I didn't want to over-do it. I figured I could always take off more if I wanted.
On the left is how it was, on the right is after the trim job. I must say I like it a bit better. (Not sure if it was worth all the f@$#%^$*%$ing trouble, but I like it)

Whoa, I see the difference. Very nice.

More on this later....

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )