It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Master Replicas ROTS compared with Don Post Deluxe
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:25 pm 

This is a slightly flawed comparison because the shots are not done from the same angle and distance, and that my DP DLX is actually my "Rescued" facemask and not purely identical to my 188/1000. However the point I'm trying to make is that despite their differences, when both Vaders are looking downwards slightly, they start looking the same again!

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:19 pm 

True....its the only angle I can stand to look at that mask from :wink:

I will eventually break and buy one.....but George Lucas should have his head checked for resculpting the most iconic screen villian of all time. After that he should recieve numerous lashes and then therapy.....lots and lots of therapy.

Mac I'd love to see your comparisons of all screen helmets to each other and subsequent replicas.
(DPD, DP DLX, Rubie's statue, Rubies deluxe etc..)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

Would be difficult, since it is hard to get info or pictures of most of the replicas...

tbh: I am still unsure whether that face is actually a real DP DLX... and the price alone is no indication that it is not a fake, imo. It may be real or it may not be real... I don't know... but someone definitely took great pride in replicating the DP DLX look if it is a fake. No slam on you or your helmet CSM... just thinking out loud.

Well... I don't mind the symmetricalness that GL wanted... if only it had been done more professionally and artistically. The way it was done was without heart or respect for the original - you don't get a brick-layer to design a house, you get a designer. If they had scanned the whole mask, mirrored it on top of itself and got the complete average, as was attempted here on the forum in this thread - http://www.aokforums.com/thepropden/thepropden-about274.html - then the helmet would have looked more aesthetically pleasing and would have kept the spirit of the original more than the RotS version, which imo was a respectless re-interpretation and a flimsy attempt to please GL's weird ideas of symmetricalness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:39 pm 

Vadermonkey wrote:
True....its the only angle I can stand to look at that mask from :wink:

I will eventually break and buy one.....but George Lucas should have his head checked for resculpting the most iconic screen villian of all time. After that he should recieve numerous lashes and then therapy.....lots and lots of therapy.

Mac I'd love to see your comparisons of all screen helmets to each other and subsequent replicas.
(DPD, DP DLX, Rubie's statue, Rubies deluxe etc..)

You're the only one I know who owns a Rubie's statue but of all the cool things you own, you have the crappiest camera of us all! :lol

So what's it going to take? Do I have to fly up there to visit you and photograph all that stuff for you?

Might be fun... I could use a vacation!

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:43 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
Would be difficult, since it is hard to get info or pictures of most of the replicas...

tbh: I am still unsure whether that face is actually a real DP DLX... and the price alone is no indication that it is not a fake, imo. It may be real or it may not be real... I don't know... but someone definitely took great pride in replicating the DP DLX look if it is a fake. No slam on you or your helmet CSM... just thinking out loud.

NHM,

Not offended at all. If if can be proven the facemask is a fake then I'd be more inclined to actually try to redo the paintjob since there would be no historical value to it.

I mean, not only are the grills identical but the level of oxidation is the same.

But it's coming to the point that I can't part with it. I actually like this more than my Don Post Deluxe #188.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Good... 'cause I never intended to offend... it would be interesting if it could be proven to be a real one! :thumbsup

Yeah... no point in changing anything if you are happy with it... just don't try to replicate the paint-job on your other helmets... as it is WRONG! :blah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:08 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
Good... 'cause I never intended to offend... it would be interesting if it could be proven to be a real one! :thumbsup

Yeah... no point in changing anything if you are happy with it... just don't try to replicate the paint-job on your other helmets... as it is WRONG! :blah

Ah, but you're wrong about the paint scheme being wrong! Sure, it's reversed, but there are scenes in ESB where they reversed the scene, so technically speaking the paint scheme is screen-accurate! :blah

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:19 pm 

I would prefer to think of screen accuracy referring to the prop itself, but that's just me....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

CSMacLaren wrote:
NoHumorMan wrote:

Ah, but you're wrong about the paint scheme being wrong! Sure, it's reversed, but there are scenes in ESB where they reversed the scene, so technically speaking the paint scheme is screen-accurate! :blah

Inaccurate, as they flipped the image - meaning BOTH the helmet and the paint job on the mask being reversed... so in order to make that screen accurate, you would have to have a mirrored helmet to make that claim! :blah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:49 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
CSMacLaren wrote:
NoHumorMan wrote:

Inaccurate, as they flipped the image - meaning BOTH the helmet and the paint job on the mask being reversed... so in order to make that screen accurate, you would have to have a mirrored helmet to make that claim! :blah

YES, but if you TILT your head to one side, you can reproduce the asymetry of the tilt of Vader's mouth! :as2

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:12 pm 

Quote:
You're the only one I know who owns a Rubie's statue but of all the cool things you own, you have the crappiest camera of us all!

True enough :lol And you're welcome to come up anytime CS!!

I'll get some shots to you of various things......it'll be nice to look at all of these things together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:01 am 

Vadermonkey wrote:
Quote:
You're the only one I know who owns a Rubie's statue but of all the cool things you own, you have the crappiest camera of us all!

True enough :lol And you're welcome to come up anytime CS!!

I'll get some shots to you of various things......it'll be nice to look at all of these things together.

That's very nice of you! It would be kind of fun, actually. I meant it in jest but it would be awesome to hook up with you in person! My schedule's very unpredictable but if I do anything I'd like to do something within the next 1-2 months!

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:20 am 

Yeah, that would really be alot of fun!! Maybe something to think about eh?

I was trying to make it to C4, but its not looking so good now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:09 pm 

edit

Last edited by Star Wars Helmets on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:15 pm 

Jez,

I appreciate what you had done on the article, and recall you sharing this already in another thread. I'm sorry, but the variety and sheer number of photos you posted is off-topic. However, if you are still in possession of these helmets and can match the downward direction of the masks, it would be a welcome contribution.

The point of this post was specifically the downward looking faces of the Don Post and the MR and comparing similarities, not differences.

- Mac