It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Yet another mod - Rubies Vader Helmet
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:39 am 
Random avatar

Hello there!

I'm new into this forum and into modifications of such helmets, never done anything before.
Firstly I'd like to apologise if this is has been answered, but from the multiple threads here and over at the RPF forums. It appears I'm missing two very important details during my own progress.

Now with all that said, let me also add, I'm not that much about proper details or movie accuracy also not willing to join any of the 501st due to lack of time in other projects I'm working on, but rather searching for satisfying good looking updated Rubies Vader
My goal is to achieve either more of ANH look or even Rogue One, as far as I understand the R1 was using either fan made helmet props or made their own but certainly isn't quite like ANH prop.

Onto the helmet issues I'm currently facing. As most of you know the angle of the helmet mount must be changed in order to have better dome position. From all topics related I understand that the male mount on the helmet should be bent down or pushed backwards? However as my helmet won't be only on display, but used from time to time how does one attach best the dome, do you still use the original two vekcros or there's something more to it. I tried with EVA foam to adjust the first time my positioning, but feels strange when I remove the dome. Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. As to be correct I'm sharing the thread that I feel more close to the final goal I'm going for at least on the angle position. Original link comes from TIGCreations user at RPF post #56:
https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/rubies-to-ro-supreme-edition-mods.270967/page-3

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Yet another mod - Rubies Vader Helmet
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:20 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum and hope you'll have fun. There are several issues with the Rubies Supreme, but you can do minimal tweaks and get a good looking helmet out of it. The link you posted definitely shows a good reworked dome position.

For mods on the face mask you can stick with just making the three nose slots square, fix the eye sockets, carve out the nail marks on the upper side of the cheeks under the eyes, take out the nose plug and slim down one of the mouth side walls a bit, swap out the grills and tusks and bend the left side of the flared neck inwards a bit. That would give you a decent looking Vader helmet.

One thing most people forget to do on the Rubies when fixing it up is to square up the dome ridges and center ridge.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:41 pm 
Random avatar

Thank you and appreciate the additional heads up on other details that require improvement.
As in most of the other topics of Rubies mods I noticed people usually focus after the dome, to fix the nose the mouth area and sculpting better eyes. However am not that much into such detailing and also am afraid of risking any damages I can't fix on my own. So I followed the method described in both topics (links shared in first post here). I feel satisfied with the new dome angle. For now it's still using the original Velcro to keep the dome stable on the helmet, will see how durable it is when wearing it around. Will try to share images of my progress in a moment or bit later. Today working on smaller vent at the chin area to bring that ANH /R1 feeling on it.

Regards the dome ridge and detailing the eyebrows of the dome I'm having mixed feelings if ABS plastic will be user friendly for a dremel as it seems soft around the dome and hard to work with.
Perhaps I may try to shape the eyebrows and his ridge with a worbla or EVA foam, anyone have experience with such? Also I'm thinking of using old pair of red ski goggles to cut out new lenses for the helmet...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:09 pm 
Random avatar

Here are some photos from yesterday correcting the angle of the dome and cutting the front mount inside the dome with dremel. Today is the small vent. Later will go with two colour scheme, sadly can't find any gun metal spray paint in Bulgaria, so I'm going perhaps with a dark grey. Tried a test shot with dark chrome and applying matt gloss after the chrome was drayed in order to make it more like matt darker gray, didn't worked well it turned too light in shade. Will test couple more before I start the paint job of the helmet.

https://i.imgur.com/bbKoOfq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lCskWyQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XzUwUh0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mNcMRyu.jpg

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:34 am 
Site Admin

Don't use power tools on ABS - it will melt the plastic. I used a flat file with a rough texture on one side and a less rough on the other to slowly grind down the sides of the dome ridge and front of the brow. I never finished, but the method works.

Don't paint the helmet too early. If you have access to automotive paints you may be able to find gunmetal paints there. Though, you may be able to create one by mixing black and silver or perhaps dark grey and silver!?

Regarding the chin vent. The top of it should be where the top of the large chin vent is. Also, though the grill isn't correct I think it would look better if you turned it 90°.

Image, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:43 am 
Random avatar

No Humor Man wrote:
Don't use power tools on ABS - it will melt the plastic. I used a flat file with a rough texture on one side and a less rough on the other to slowly grind down the sides of the dome ridge and front of the brow. I never finished, but the method works.

Don't paint the helmet too early. If you have access to automotive paints you may be able to find gunmetal paints there. Though, you may be able to create one by mixing black and silver or perhaps dark grey and silver!?

Regarding the chin vent. The top of it should be where the top of the large chin vent is. Also, though the grill isn't correct I think it would look better if you turned it 90°.

Image, on Flickr

Well the only thing I really needed to cut from the dome had to go for dremel and already noticed how hard it's to cut it. The sanding will be done later as I took some more work around the chin vent to fix it and sand again, later when I find decent paint or one for cars, for now what I found at the stores didn't macht the desired tone. Will keep looking and maybe when I get finally back home will be able to find more in the stores.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:52 am 
Site Admin

You can sand ABS, just expect it to take a while. I can take some pictures of my old Rubies dome to show the progress I made as well as show the large file I used. I was planning to refine it later with higher grit files and sandpaper to smooth out the rough work and use filler.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:31 pm 
Random avatar

Thank you, that would be wonderful to see as reference.

Profile E-mail