It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: ROTJ saber hook help
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:14 am 
Random avatar

Hello,

Does anyone have any pics of the ROTJ saber hook? I’d like to get a definitive answer once and for all. Behind the scenes pics are probably best. I’ve been through every pic on starwarsscreencaps and can’t get an absolute answer.

The costumes book has a pic in it that claims it’s an ROTJ screen used belt. BUT that belt does not have the Chicago Screw next to the buckle. And the belt doesn’t have any damage where the Chicago screw might have been. If it was screen used, it certainly wasn’t a hero belt.

Thanks for any help finally putting this issue to bed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ROTJ saber hook help
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:17 am 
Random avatar

Here’s what I have so far. I hope these images post.

That’s the entire belt from the book.

But no damage where the screw should be.

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:07 pm 

It's possible the whole buckle is covering the screw completely in the photo.

Really take a look at the shot where Vader is walking up the stairs and after Luke gives him a nasty blow. That whole side of the belt is exposed. If it was silver color we would know it for sure. That is why I painted mine black. Look closely and you could see light reflecting off it suggesting it to be mounted on the outside.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:14 pm 

If it wasn't black then Vader is using the force to hold it near his hip.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:00 am 
Random avatar

I agree 100% it should be black, but besides that photo, there aren’t any pics of it.

That belt must be a tour belt/background belt without the rivet/Chicago screw. There are plenty in this pic:

Here is a closeup if the stair scene in ROTJ. This leads me to believe it’s a black hook, as on the costumes belt, but still nothing definitive.

THXboy at SLD has been shown a pic from LFL of the hook on the belt for one of the pick up shots. The one with the closeup of Luke’s lightsaber. While, technically, it’s a screen used belt, it’s not a belt Prowse ever wore. The buckle is wrong, the boxes are on the wrong sides. It was a pick up shot. He also says the saber hook on that belt is nothing like the saber hook in the costumes book. But it was painted black I guess.

Any pics of the Prowse hero belt and hook are greatly appreciated and will finally put this to rest after 35+ years. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 am 

The belt boxes are certainly rotj screen used in that picture. Look at the shape of the green squares and they even have the 2 different shades of the green lenses like in the film. Compare and you will see it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:28 am 
Random avatar

As pointed out above, there’s no Chicago screw/rivet to the right of the buckle. Nor evidence there ever was.

Every Prowse/hero belt had the Chicago screw. Looking at the distance to the box, there’s no way that buckle could be covering it. It’s too big. It’s not like the small under-buckle rivets in ESB.

I’d love to believe the belt in the costumes book was the Prowse belt. I truly would. But without the Chicago screw, or evidence the screw was on that belt at some point, I’m not buying it.

On every straight-on photo of Prowse, and that photo of the belt is taken flat/straight-on, the entire Chicago screw is visible. It doesn’t peek behind the buckle and, in many pics, we can see leather between the screw and the (picture) right edge of the buckle.

Thanks for the help in bringing the truth to light. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:01 pm 

Just because the screw isn't there does not automatically rule it out as a screen belt. Like I said the buckle could be covering it. Look at the placement of the incised lines and compare. The top one is further down. And the off set color of the green lenses can be seen to. I'll make sure comparison later.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:43 pm 

Here is a quick comparision. Look at the placement of the incised lines and the difference in shade and shape(tour belts are square while the screen are rectangular) of the green squares. Since the extra bit was added on for touring it's possible the belt was cut to fit the tour guy.

Attachment:
IMG_20190320_174030.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:53 pm 

Here is a buckle comparision.
Attachment:
IMG_20190320_175211.png

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:45 pm 

Where did JSmails go? Let's keep this discussion alive!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:46 am 
Random avatar

It has been 6 months and nobody has stepped up with a picture of the screen used saber hook?

In that time THXBoy from the SLD got to tour LFL/Skywalker. He got to see a screen used belt, but it was the belt from the pickup shot here:

It’s not the hero belt or buckle if you look at the frame where Vader handles Luke’s new lightsaber. It’s simply not Prowse’s belt. Moreover, the saber hook on that belt was nothing like the hook from the costume book or the hooks from ESB/ANH.

It seems the ROTJ hero saber hook is destined to remain a mystery.

Please, one of you guys, look through your archive of photos and put up a picture of the actual screen worn hero hook. This silliness has gone on long enough. :)

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:07 pm 

It's black. No mystery there. The belt in the book is damaged rotj belt. That's why there is no stud or that it's not on a statue. A silver hook would catch the light like the lightsaber does in certain frames of the film.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:22 pm 
Random avatar

Pics or it didn’t happen.

Like I said above, since I started this thread, there is new information. Chris Greene saw that actual belt that was used in the pickup shot. The saber hook on that belt was nothing like ANH/ESB or the one shown in the costumes book.

I’d like to see one, or more, pictures of the screen used hook. There has to be at least one picture out there. Something like a “Prowse getting dressed” sequence of pictures would be perfect.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:58 am 

Untill contradictory evidence comes forward the hook is black.

The stair scene during the duel is solid enough proof. If said hook was silver it would be visible plain as day. You're looking to hard into it.

Profile E-mail