It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Bonhams Auction Complete ESB Suit
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:09 pm 

Man, I wish Paul Allen were still around. Maybe Arnaud Grunberg will be able to acquire it so it will end up in a museum. :( Tour suit owned by Kermit Eller.
Analysis and authentication of the pieces by our good friend Jez Hill of starwarshelmets.com. Hopefully we'll get some more detailed photos!

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25491/ ... 8AttjT3S7E

Post subject: Re: Bonhams Auction Complete ESB Suit
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:16 pm 

I'm stitching up all the images in as high resolution as possible. here is what I have so far:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 pm 

Imagebmo harris locations near me

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:20 pm 

Click on the pictures and it links you to the full resolution images that you will be able to download. I'll keep posting files as I stitch them up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Such an amazing piece. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:13 am 

Awesome, thanks Juan!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:03 am 

Imagei need the nearest gas station

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:49 am 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:07 pm 

Unbelievable discovery. I don't think Kermit ever mentioned in any interviews that he happened to have a full suit in his garage for 35+ years after he retired from the Lucasfilm gig. I wonder if it was officially gifted to him. I'm no expert on ESB- which pieces are NOT screen used? The belt boxes look like casts of ANH. Are parts of this actually tour versions?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:54 pm 

Hi guys, as you may know I’ve assisted Bonhams LA in the sale, when they contacted me last year to provide my opinion on the costume, which I was happy to do having done a similar (although more extensive) job on the John Mollo archive.

I’ve not seen the costume in the flesh, so my report was based on the photos they sent out, along with some conversations I had with Bryce (Kermit) Eller. As we know Bryce had the complete original ANH suit between 1977-1979 and said that this new suit was given to him as a form of "upgrade" as LFL were keen for his promo work to continue with the newer ESB Costume. He maintained that the suit was sent to him from Elstree immediately after ESB wrapped - and I feel that given the reliability his continued association to Lucasfilm justifies, this was a realistic scenario.

Based on that it was my opinion that this was a production made set, but not screen used. However there were a couple of things that interested me in the collection, a pair of gloves which I was convinced were the screen-used ANH gloves (split away in a separate auction), and the upper chest/shoulder armour, which looked to me a lot like the Bob Anderson armour - but without adequate corroborating evidence I wasn’t able to confirm this.

So my opinion was/is that this was production made (IMO the quality of several pieces notably better than Tour costumes I’ve seen) - and again Eller was clear that this was sent as a whole costume, not separate pieces, nor added to over time.

I’ve previously reached out to a number of learned friends on this costume, as am always keen to hear other views/opinions and to ensure we maintain the integrity of lots such as this - so am equally keen to hear the views of people here.

Cheers

Jez

Edit: worth adding that I completed my report for them in early Oct last year, and haven’t had anything back on this from them on this since then - so I don’t know what other information, proofs or opinions they may have received on this costume since then.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:16 pm 

Cool, thanks Jez. I'll need to find the separate ANH glove auction. He did mention once that the original ANH gloves wore down and exact replicas were made at some point (I believe in California) during the ANH promo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:45 pm 

That is an incredible discovery. Although it's not screen used and I'm glad they are not passing it off as so. I'll be jealous of the buyer!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:47 pm 

Perhaps this is fodder for a separate thread but at least one of the ANH gloves (in the separate listing) looks to be in bad shape so, if the details look accurate, it would mesh with the story that the originals wore out and were replicated during the ANH promo tour, and he then retained the damaged originals. Only one decent photo is on the site, so I would want images of cuff underside to see full details.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:37 pm 

belloq wrote:
Perhaps this is fodder for a separate thread but at least one of the ANH gloves (in the separate listing) looks to be in bad shape so, if the details look accurate, it would mesh with the story that the originals wore out and were replicated during the ANH promo tour, and he then retained the damaged originals. Only one decent photo is on the site, so I would want images of cuff underside to see full details.

WOW

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:22 pm 

Great photo’s :thumbsup