It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 42  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: 1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Been working on the project some more to perfect things and try to find ways to start actually producing them. With the advance in 3D printing technology and near perfect quality that requires almost no work on the prints themselves other than priming and painting becoming more affordable, this route is preferred over getting prints made and then mold and cast those in the traditional way. More on that later.

This however means that the models has to be made print ready and this is what I've been working on for a while now. Most of the work is easy enough, just aligning surfaces so everything ends up creating a solid model, but some means I have to go down and manipulate the models on the polygon level (the points that make up the model geometry) and that is a bit trickier and I've had to learn new techniques and sometimes had to ask for help.

Basically, the parts I'm working on right now are the face masks - ANH, ESB, and the Truly Symmetrical version - fitting them all with grills and tusks. For the most part much of that work was done already, but some of the models or some parts of the models had inverted surfaces, so I had to go in and align things correctly and fixing excessive geometry and simplify things, as some of the previous work I did added extra unnecessary connection lines in the geometry. Still have a lot to do on that account. Though you can't see it in the picture there is a lot of cleanup still needed on the grill models, and I'll probably tweak the position and angle of the tusks as well, trying to get it as screen accurate as possible.

This is the line-up so far:
Image, on Flickr

Here's a glimpse of the Truly Symmetrical face mask in a more close-up view with tusks and grills attached. Though it could be cool to keep it clean, so ESB configuration is possible, I am not working on that - maybe some day.
Image, on Flickr

Next up is the ESB belt box. I'm not entirely done with it at this point as I would like to try and get the lines on the hose part more accurate (a mistake I made when I had them made originally to ask for them to be made farther apart than accurate - a decision I regret now, but I was afraid it might look weird once printed to go fully accurate. Unsure whether I can achieve it myself)
The first picture shows the box already in a state of rework. In the earlier version the edges of the box were sharp with no curve, but I always wanted to incorporate the curve to the edges and was helped by Paul Carson on how to achieve it, so thanks mate. But all the rest of the details on the box are still the earlier version.
Image, on Flickr
In comparison I reworked the green lights and the red light and the tops of the metal studs to make them more accurate. I am not done with the tweaks yet, but I'm fairly satisfied with the outcome so far. Of course, because I'm an idiot I didn't work on the same box, so sorry if that is confusing.
Image, on Flickr

Then I went on to the ANH belt boxes, in order to take a break from the "at what I thought at the time as being hard work" ESB boxes... to the "OH MY EFFING GOD I'M OUT OF MY MIND THIS IS DIFFICULT" type of work the green lights turned out to be. Those alone was a whole days worth of work. Mainly because I suck and am a complete newbie in regards to this kind of 3D modeling... but man oh man... I DO NOT envy 3D modelers and I bow down to their patience and skills. But... I'm kinda pleased with the result. Is it perfect? NO! Was it needed and will it actually be worthwhile in such a small scale print... hmm... tough question, but in my mind the answer would have to be yes. Frankly, my mindset has always to go über accurate, even if it won't even show up in the print, so I'm still debating with myself whether I should even put knurling on the metal studs or not. I'm aiming towards: absolutely. Will I be able to do it? At this point: unknown. Skill not learned yet.
Image, on Flickr

And here are the green lights on the belt box. Everything else is all earlier version - much of it all the way back from the Eric Chan days at the early days of the 3D project, with rework by Jesse McClear who's the guy who has helped me greatly with this project. Thanks man.
Image, on Flickr

Lastly, taking a stab at fixing some inaccuracies on the ESB chest box that I may have caused when it was being remade by Jesse and trying to incorporate some things that were pointed out to me after it was made that I really had no clue about, such as the sticking out light covers on the coin slots and when it was pointed out that the red and blue light covers might be too large. I made them a little smaller and more rectangular - they were more square before. Reworked the spacing between them and the greeblies above and between the lights. Will probably have to make the lights stick out more from the box, as they are currently pretty flat compared to the reference. I think it turned out looking okay.
Image, on Flickr

Let me know what you think and if you spot something that could need a fix, please let me know. I can't go super accurate, as I'm not skilled enough. Down the line I hope to scan all original parts or cast from original parts for these as well. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:20 am 

Looks great. With my limited 3D modelling experience (Maya, ten years ago,) I would have pulled my hair out and quit a while back. You have serious patience. Can't wait to see the prints.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

More work on the ANH box. Worked on the grill, trying to replicate the look of the found part grill. Was damn difficult. Then I worked some on the metal studs. Think it looks much better now. I'll have to study up on how to do knurling on 3D models and I think that will be the last thing I do. Other than simplifying the geometry on the box I haven't really worked or altered that, as well as the red light.

Let me know what you think.

Image, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

Okay... after looking at the reference I got annoyed with the red light. Will probably tweak it a bit more, but it's much closer to the found part now.

Image, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:15 am 
Site Admin

This has been in the planning stage for a long time, but I finally got the latest scans for the v2 scaled Vader project. I honestly never thought it would be possible, but talking with the owner of the pieces he was open to getting his stuff scanned, so I then involved Mike, vadermonkey, to do the scanning for me, as I wouldn't be able to do it myself. A trip was planned, the scanning session took place, and the scan slices were meticulously put together to create the final models as they are seen below. I'm really appreciative of the owner and I can't thank him enough for being willing to get his pieces scanned and I can't thank Mike enough to go on the trip to scan them for me. I really appreciate it, both of you.

Anyway, on to the pictures. I will work on the scan models and make the shoulder bells separate, add edges where they are missing in the scan and make them ready for 3D printing along with the rest of my v2 project. Enjoy.

Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:36 pm 

Very cool. Nice work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:50 pm 

Those look freaking fantastic Carsten/Mike! Hopefully, we'll be seeing this project coming to a successful conclusion soon (I have parts waiting, lol)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Thanks. Studying an accurately shaped chest armor is really an eye opener. It's pretty spectacular.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:42 pm 

Was the chest armor the DVV elstree set, or something else?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:29 am 
Site Admin

The helmet and chest armor belong to Darthjones, a former employee at ILM and a long time member of the community, and I can't thank him enough for being willing to get his pieces scanned. :)

Post subject: 1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:28 pm 

No Humor Man wrote:
The helmet and chest armor belong to Darthjones, a former employee at ILM and a long time member of the community, and I can't thank him enough for being willing to get his pieces scanned. :)

Awesome! You probably can't get better than that. Do you have any rough dimensions you can share like total height and width of chest and bells, or any opinion as to whether the DVV elstree casting was different in size compared to DJ's casting? Just wondering if the castings were from significantly different generations down from the original.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:23 pm 

Hello! I would do a rough measure of the chest armor here if it was not stored off site (for now). But, in brief, it has been my overall observation that chest bells have stayed the same pretty much over time (like with GH armor all the way to this "darthjones" armor). BUT - the difference is that subsequent armors are more "open." Imagine that, from the side, the armor is a "C" (viewed from the side, right?)...

Now, Brian Muir told me in person that the shoulder bells line up perfectly with the original sculpt.

The bells on the "darthjones" armor line up with the chest armor perfectly and I do know that it was an early piece because, like an idiot (in the 1980's), I cleaned up some of the tell-tale details you see in ANH and promotional armor but not in all of ESB.

Now I'm only half stupid.

So I'd say this is pretty much dead-on in between ANH/ESB armor.

Now, why has Vader chest armor expanded over time? I have just guesses. Even the ILM/ LFL armor is a bit wacky now up there.

1. Fiberglass will warp and "recover" if it is pulled from a mold too quickly. If it is still curing it will change shape. And subsequent copies will be the same. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a factor (having worked with fiberglass).

2. Somewhere I read that Dave Prowse bulked up a bit for Vader after ANH. If he needed the armor bigger at any point they could have sized it somewhat larger by casting it and "guiding" its warpage before it fully cured. This is a reach but it is possible.

I have had this armor right next to GH armor and they are exactly the same but for the GH being more ROTJ in its front-to-back space.

One COULD easily make a much better ANH armor shape from GH by using the left shoulder bell as a guide.

NOTE - it is the left shoulder bell that is used on both sides for Vader. The right one was never used says Muir but it did line up perfectly too.

Sorry if my typing is goofy here. In a rush. Cleaning my fridge!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:34 am 

Thanks for he info. Eventually I would love to know the rough dimensions- when you have it in hand again. The photos of original lineage armor like the DVV look undersized to me but perhaps the originals appeared small too (compared to what one would assume Prowse's large proportions might be.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:07 am 

I just looked up DVV armor but the photos are hard to figure out. At a glance it looks great! And it looks the same size as this piece here.

If you can find a photo of its left side with the bell attached or close we could maybe tell something.

But the DVV looks great!

belloq wrote:
Thanks for he info. Eventually I would love to know the rough dimensions- when you have it in hand again. The photos of original lineage armor like the DVV look undersized to me but perhaps the originals appeared small too (compared to what one would assume Prowse's large proportions might be.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:52 pm 

Thanks for confirming. Sorry to derail thread. A final point on chest armor: The DVV chest only is about 23" along top width. Don Post/Eller photos against brick wall looks to be about 21" wide but that is a really rough estimate based on standard brick dimensions and perspective. So I guess the DVV and probably yours are not undersized. Sorry again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 42  Next