It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Star Wars - The Last Jedi - SPOILER WARNING
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

Just got home from watching this. Was interested in hearing everybody's thoughts. I gotta be honest, I was bored out of my mind. I hated Revenge of the Sith, but at least it was more entertaining that this. I won't call it garbage, because it wasn't... it was just not really a very interesting film for me.

Post subject: Re: Star Wars - The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:26 am 

It was a disappointing mess. The Force Awakens had a little melody to it but this movie was random notes being played all over the place. The "what the hell did I just watch?" look on people's faces leaving the theater was more entertaining.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Star Wars - The Last Jedi - SPOILER WARNING
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah. I kinda get the same feeling, though my friends liked it.

I just feel these filmmakers are trying so hard to go back to the OT that they come off as desperate and it falls flat on its face. Take Force Awakens for instance... a near carbon copy of A New Hope with a little Return of the Jedi sprinkled in. Why the hell do the Republic have a resistance force in opposition to The First Order? The Republic should have a grand army and The First Order should be the underdog, the resistance. That would make sense. It's a reversal of the OT dynamic and it would have played out much more believable and interesting when the roles are reversed. Where the hell did The First Order get the finances to build Starkiller base without the Republic finding out? You don't let a former dictatorial remnant go unchecked to do what they please - you'd keep your eyes fixed on them to the point of near oppression. That's where the drama should have been - the reversal of roles and could have been the main focus of the Jedi journey in this trilogy... to stop the Republic from acting like the Empire. Starkiller base - if it should even have been in there at all - should have been a secret weapon of the Republic in their fight against The First Order insurgents - the resistance. It should have set Luke into motion against the Republic to not become a clone of the Empire's ways in their thirst for revenge. And WTF is up with the handling of Luke's character? He's just tucked tail and run? WTF? The man who stood against the Emperor and his own father and won. WTF! No, he and his merry band of Jedis should have stood against the beginning oppressive nature of the Republic and shown them the right path. That would have been interesting and would be a continuation of the OT... not this desperate attempt to go back to status quo and fuck everything that happened in the OT over in the process.

With The Force Awakens being a remake of ANH... it just feels like The Last Jedi is a remake of the new Battlestar Galactica... and in a bad way. Can't these filmmakers come up with something original instead of just copying things? I guess with JJ Abrams involved it's a bit too much to ask - many of his movies are derivative in some way either in terms of storytelling or the actual setting itself. With the reversal of the roles it would have been more interesting to see the Republic hunt down The First Order instead and then Luke stepping in to stop them.

Basically, what I'm saying is that my interest in the new movies has become non-existent to the point of not even wanting to see episode 9. They feel more like glorified expensive fan films than actual interesting movies. Though I don't really like the prequels, they are still Star Wars. These new films just doesn't feel that way to me. They feel derivative and forced and unoriginal.

And Chewie should have taken a bite out of that deliciously cooked Pork and savored it - a creature that actually didn't bother me that much. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:39 pm 

Loved it.

It's breathing fresh air into SW in an intelligent and respectful way.
If you want to watch the original movies do so - but don't expect creative talents
to just regurgitate them verbatim. Life moves on - so do movies.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

HAL9000 wrote:
Loved it.

It's breathing fresh air into SW in an intelligent and respectful way.
If you want to watch the original movies do so - but don't expect creative talents
to just regurgitate them verbatim. Life moves on - so do movies.

But they are regurgitating them. The first one was A New Hope and the second, though not Star Wars, was very much the new Battlestar Gallactica and everything I didn't like from that series. Just so many things that doesn't make sense and was pointless.

And it had the same stupid character stuff I hated in Looper.

Post subject: Star Wars - The Last Jedi - SPOILER WARNING
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:23 pm 

I am still processing what I saw, but my first impression is that it was pastiche/collage, and not in a good way. It didn't feel mythical and wondrous like Star Wars should, and I'm not averse to innovation in substance or style. The cheap jokes did not help. There were a couple of good nail-biting action scenes, but overall three fundamentally fatal storytelling flaws ruined it for me: 1) if anything is possible, then nothing matters; 2) goofy villains yield no real jeopardy; 3) individuals do not drastically alter behavior or psychology. Ultimately I was disappointed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:00 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QJRw56cOVw

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:51 pm 

Anybody has count how much he said..f**k :lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:02 am 

I guess among the TLJ partisans, adorers, haters, apologists etc. there is also my kind: indifferent(ists).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:55 am 

jkno wrote:
I guess among the TLJ partisans, adorers, haters, apologists etc. there is also my kind: indifferent(ists).

Jep...like the stroy part with Luke, Rey and Kylo.
But the whole rest of the plot is...well how to say..would say..boring.

Running though the galaxy 2 hours just to wait till the fuel gets empty was not that arc of supence to me.
The whole suiced commando for to find the "codebrake guy" was dispensable for the whole story at the end.

Also may sombody can tell me why just a hand full of "rebels" were left after the destruction of the starkiller base?
Made absolute no sence to me.

Would say the film had could have an better end, if they just had made a cut after the battle in the throne room.
The 30 extra minutes on that ice...pardon salt planet was redundant to me as well.

Overall it had could been a great movie, but to me it's just well....i don't know what it is.LOL.
At last it was miles better than episode 7.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:42 pm 
Random avatar

Turrican wrote:
jkno wrote:
I guess these weight loss shakes work well among the TLJ partisans, adorers, haters, apologists etc. there is also my kind: indifferent(ists).

Jep...like the stroy part with Luke, Rey and Kylo.
But the whole rest of the plot is...well how to say..would say..boring.

Running though the galaxy 2 hours just to wait till the fuel gets empty was not that arc of supence to me.
The whole suiced commando for to find the "codebrake guy" was dispensable for the whole story at the end.

Also may sombody can tell me why just a hand full of "rebels" were left after the destruction of the starkiller base?
Made absolute no sence to me.

Would say the film had could have an better end, if they just had made a cut after the battle in the throne room.
The 30 extra minutes on that ice...pardon salt planet was redundant to me as well.

Overall it had could been a great movie, but to me it's just well....i don't know what it is.LOL.
At last it was miles better than episode 7.

I also find myself being indiferent. That's a bad thing. It's a wachable movie at the end of the day. Luckily for me, I didn't 'expect' anything. That's why I don't have any lingering bad feelings. On to the next one for me.

Last edited by Croy on Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:11 pm 

There are so many issues with TLJ that I simply don't have the time and patience to write about them all. And like I said, I'm indifferent to it and the upcoming flicks.

Profile E-mail