It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: SPFX...Anachydesign...Phil...Robert Loomis... same trouble
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:31 am 
Random avatar

Apparently I am the latest victim from the poorly reputed guy. Wish I had encounter this forum beforehand. Anyway please beware of the guy selling "authentic" Vader props in eBay. Took it 5 months for shipping which ending up with flimsy package and damaged helmet. Guess I am at least lucky enough to receive it after all...

Here some pics of the damage:

Some general review of the item mask:

TBH the dimension and shape is very accurate, but do you think it's a recast?

And close ups reveals some bubbles from the edges, any idea what is that?

Last edited by lunarair on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SPFX...Anachydesign...Phil...Robert Loomis... same troub
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:11 am 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Sadly, the images aren't showing in the attachments.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:28 am 

Man.. I’m sorry to hear about that.. I would suggest staying away from any made to order products on eBay. Any products that eBay sellers should be packed and ready to ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:02 am 
Random avatar

Images relink for viewing, sorry for the trouble

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the pictures.

Well, to answer your question: yes it is a recast.

The damage seems to be in an area that is rarely seen, so it should be an easy fix with some bondo or auto body filler. It has to be strong filler since there's a lot of strain on the dome ring from the dome. No need to worry about matching the metallic paint - again, because it's an area that's rarely seen and on the originals the ring was often left as basic unpainted resin.

The bubbles can be a variation of many things. Either bad prep work. Original left in details that wasn't sanded down. Pooling up of paint that dries unevenly with trapped air bubbles inside. It could be any one of these or all at once. In the areas shown it doesn't look out of place. The originals were all sorts of gonky and full of these kinds of defects.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:36 pm 

That's very unfortunate and one of the big problems with that vendor.
But I agree with Torsten that the damage is nothing that will affect the appearance, if you fix it anyway so it cannot grow further.

I still like my SPFX ESB helmet very much since the design simply looks amazingly right to me.

But meanwhile there are enough available alternatives on par with this variant.
Two weeks ago I saw a Quasimodo the first time and was really impressed, though I already have the likewise perfect armor of this manufacture.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:13 pm 
Random avatar

The Quasimodo helmets seems to be superb in terms of finishing. However, it is in there description that the helmets are "scripture" based from the modeler's impression rather than a movie prop replica. What is the general acceptance towards this? I find it quite fine though. my 2-cents.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:28 am 

lunarair wrote:
The Quasimodo helmets seems to be superb in terms of finishing. However, it is in there description that the helmets are "scripture" based from the modeler's impression rather than a movie prop replica. What is the general acceptance towards this? I find it quite fine though. my 2-cents.

Sculpture, not scripture. Oh, the joys of Siri. :-)

My work might not be accepted by people who only collect things of direct lineage. However, lineage is not a guarantee of an accurate look, else recasters would have offered bootleg products of slam-dunk resemblance all the time. Members of the 501st Legion mainly focus on a believable look when costuming as Vader, and they are highly supportive of my work. Quasimodo is a wearable sculpture.

Check out the photos of: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:25 pm 
Random avatar

I have a Quasi ANH V2 and an ESB with Bookface chest armour.

I am TOTALLY satisfied and astonished by just how....Vadery these helmets look. They capture every nuance and essence of what Vader looks like.

Also, the casting/finishing quality is truly top drawer. :)

Rich

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:57 pm 
Random avatar

hi mate, at this moment I was just about to pay for an order for an ESB helmet and its corresponding armor for an amount of $ 1000 and I just found your post. I read that unfortunately you received the damaged helmet and with paint defects. None of the photos of your helmet is visible yet, could you send me or re-post the photos so I can see what it is about? Did you make the payment with PayPal? I will wait to receive news from you before paying the order. Thank you

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:45 am 

dekion wrote:
hi mate, at this moment I was just about to pay for an order for an ESB helmet and its corresponding armor for an amount of $ 1000 and I just found your post. I read that unfortunately you received the damaged helmet and with paint defects. None of the photos of your helmet is visible yet, could you send me or re-post the photos so I can see what it is about? Did you make the payment with PayPal? I will wait to receive news from you before paying the order. Thank you

Research SPFX. Damaged and faulty goods is the least to worry with this guy. You lucky if you get your stuff and even luckier if its in good shape. I made the mistake to deal with him years ago without doing my homework on his track record and it was a bit of a nightmare. AVOID AT ALL COST.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:33 pm 
Random avatar

juan7fernandez wrote:
dekion wrote:

Research SPFX. Damaged and faulty goods is the least to worry with this guy. You lucky if you get your stuff and even luckier if its in good shape. I made the mistake to deal with him years ago without doing my homework on his track record and it was a bit of a nightmare. AVOID AT ALL COST.

thank you, bussines cancelled

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:02 pm 

dekion wrote:
juan7fernandez wrote:
dekion wrote:

thank you, bussines cancelled

Good choice !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:16 pm 

I have decided to buy from Rob Loomis after I have been watching him on eBay and Facebook for quite a while.

There really is no solid evidence that Rob is SPFX/Phil. Same molds or pictures isn't enough imo. Pictures and molds can be reused by other people. Well that was the only argument I have seen. There could be more.

I ordered finished rotj armor after watching Shadow fx Facebook very closely. Like several times a week items ready for Shipping items are posted along with customer photos. I know they are actual customer photos because my friend who is a anh Vader had his photos posted on the Facebook page. He wears the helmet and armor from Shadow FX. His eBay feedback is imaculant. Infact this thread is the only bad thing I have seen regarding Shadow FX and their time starting on eBay. And the OP received his stuff.

I will say that since I placed my order communication has been the fastest I have ever seen. Every response from him has been with in minutes. I emailed them today and with in minutes I got a response with an update telling me my armor has been cast.

I have no doubt I'll get my armor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:24 pm 

Update. I was sent an image of my armor cast.

I would post it but the forum tells me its too big when I attach it. Boo!

Profile E-mail