It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: 3D Printer - Creality CR-10
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:35 am 
Site Admin

I just bit the bullet and purchased a large 3D printer. It was on sale from gearbest right now - sale ends tomorrow evening - and I jumped on it today because it listed shipping as free to Denmark. Sure, shipping will take longer, but it was just too good a deal to pass up. Unsure whether free shipping is available to all, but you can check for yourself.

I've seen a lot of videos about the printer on youtube - reviewed by the channels *3D Printing Nerd* and *Press Reset* and others - and I wanted a printer that was larger than the small 120x120x120mm print volume. The Creality CR-10 is a kit, but mostly already put together, so there's basically no fiddling with the electronics, which is a plus for me, and it is a really sturdy construction which also appealed to me. The prints that were shown off in the various review videos were pretty good quality with faint print lines, so easy to work with and clean up. The print volume on this printer is 300x300x400 (you can get two larger versions - the S4 that is 400x400x400 and I think it's called the S5 but not certain that has a print volume of 500x500x500. Neither of these were on sale, though, as far as I could see.

Anyway, for people who want to check it out before the discount sale ends tomorrow can check the sale here: http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d- ... d=10340196

And for those wanting to check reviews you can check out the two channels I listed here:

Press Reset: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYfOQD ... E-EUv_jSdw
3D Printing Nerd: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_7aK9 ... 8ERh1MewlQ

Someone on Facebook posted a coupon code for Gearbest - US only though - just pm me if you plan to buy and I can provide the code, as I'm not sure if it is okay to post it publicly. Uncertain if it still works.

Post subject: Re: 3D Printer - Creality CR-10
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:42 pm 

One cannot live in the digital world alone, subject to one's interpretation! Looks like a fine choice. Looking forward to seeing some of the results once it's up and running. BTW, if there's any problems with shipping or the item itself, from my experience with direct-from-China retailers, don't hesitate to get Paypal or your credit card company involved right away to resolve it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:22 am 
Site Admin

I received the printer, but there was a problem with the heated bed not heating. I contacted the retailer and they suggested I had the currents checked. I asked my uncle who was a certified electrician before he retired to come check it out and it was established that the error lay in the control box. So the retailer is sending a new control box. The fact that the bed doesn't heat means I can only really print with PLA - I mainly thought I'd use that anyway, but I wanted the option to try other printing filaments in the future. Anyway, things are looking good and I've printed a few pieces.

I knew printing took a long time, but you don't really realize just how long until you have one yourself. The prints I've made so far has ranged between 4-7 hours each and they are fairly small parts. I cut up the symmetrical Vader face mask into sizeable chunks, as it would take up to 3 days to print it in one go. But those chunks are each about 5-7 hours each and there are 23 of them. Have printed 3 already and things are looking good, but now I need new printer filament and have just ordered kilo of filament.

Attachment:
Symmetrical Vader.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:08 pm 

The results are looking good, and glad to hear the retailer is doing what they should to get it fully operational. I see why for large scale 3D models users sometimes get together and farm out printing of individual pieces across multiple users. I assume if you were to produce a run of these you'd use the 3D print as a master and take a mold from it to make individual casts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

Certainly. 3D printing is not perfect, so the pieces need some work to smooth things out. It would be a complete waste to print more than one, as it would be cheaper and easier to get a consistent result from molding and casting that initial finished print.

The pieces are 90% of 1:1 so smaller than the actual helmet. I wanted to see how it would end up looking. Having shaven 10% off the overall size it still looks really large when putting the printed pieces together.

The attached images shows the size difference between the full scale and the 90% version.

Attachment:
Symmetrical-Vader-002.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.