It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: New Vader Build - Ideas on Initial Suppliers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:01 pm 
Random avatar

Hello all. I've been a costumer and Prop Maker for years, and have finally decided to pull the trigger on creating my ANH Vader. While I do have some pretty expensive costumes in my repertoire, doing Vader correctly has always been somewhat intimidating to me from a financial perspective. After attending Celebration this weekend in Orlando, I've decided, I have to push through with a build. I recently ordered the plastic Efx helmet to start, and have been pricing the Anovos pieces. While beautiful, I have no qualms on buying B+ grade pieces, and upgrading as I go. What routes would you recommend. I have no issues building electronics, sanding, painting, etc. My skills are not there for sewing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Vader Build - Ideas on Initial Suppliers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:57 am 
Random avatar

Welcome to the PropDen !
You'll find plenty of help over at the Sith Lord Detachment forum. Sign up and keep an eye on both forums and you'll get tons of info on all the makers of things. Put together a WIP thread over there and your intentions, size, price point, and you'll get what info you seek.

This site tends to be less costuming and more accurate prop piece detail, but it's a great place to be a member of.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:27 am 

Hi ANH_Vader_FL,

It may be heretical for me to say on this forum, but there's a youtube video from a guy who paired the plastic eFx helmet with the Rubies Supreme costume. I must admit it looked pretty good to me. Definitely D+ grade in terms of accuracy and materials, and a hybrid of costume elements from different movies. It would be a cheaper and quicker path to aquire the basic costume pieces. This is probably not the route you're seeking, but do check out the video. Not bad, and passable to the the uninitiated and those unafflicted with Vadercollectitis Superaccuratus. Of course what's most important are your satisfaction of the final piece and the fulfillment of the journey to get there. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/P5h1twE30oo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

banthapoodoo wrote:
Hi ANH_Vader_FL,

It may be heretical for me to say on this forum, but there's a youtube video from a guy who paired the plastic eFx helmet with the Rubies Supreme costume. I must admit it looked pretty good to me. Definitely D+ grade in terms of accuracy and materials, and a hybrid of costume elements from different movies. It would be a cheaper and quicker path to aquire the basic costume pieces. This is probably not the route you're seeking, but do check out the video. Not bad, and passable to the the uninitiated and those unafflicted with Vadercollectitis Superaccuratus. Of course what's most important are your satisfaction of the final piece and the fulfillment of the journey to get there. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/P5h1twE30oo

Nothing heretical about it, in my opinion. It is definitely a good starting point, so you have a Vader pretty much from the get-go, while sourcing the more accurate parts and switch things out as you go along, instead of just having everything sitting around in boxes or taking up space until you've sourced everything and then put it together then.

That way you also see the progression of the project.