It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:05 pm 

Yes, the costume was a disaster. Sadly... :banger

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 pm 
Random avatar

I just can not fathom what they based it on. To me it looks rubbish, but to a casual observer it looks weird and ill fitting as well. Now so far we have only seen images of Daniel Naprous as Vader. Kinda curious what Spencer Wilding looked like in the suit.

It just feels like they went through some lengths trying to capture authentic details ( chestbox and belt boxes) and cutting covners on others. I tried to recreate this look recently on my vader costume and the cape just felt weird :P

I was comparing the ANH and the RO helmets. Is it just me or does the ANH dome look wider thatn the RO version, and the neck looks longer on the RO. The Widows peak seems to end "early" exposing the entire eyesocket ( giving vader the eyebrow appearance).

Edit: anybody notice the inlay on the nose ;)? Very Rubies-esque

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:37 am 

Darctic wrote:
I just can not fathom what they based it on. To me it looks rubbish, but to a casual observer it looks weird and ill fitting as well. Now so far we have only seen images of Daniel Naprous as Vader. Kinda curious what Spencer Wilding looked like in the suit.

It just feels like they went through some lengths trying to capture authentic details ( chestbox and belt boxes) and cutting covners on others. I tried to recreate this look recently on my vader costume and the cape just felt weird :P

I was comparing the ANH and the RO helmets. Is it just me or does the ANH dome look wider thatn the RO version, and the neck looks longer on the RO. The Widows peak seems to end "early" exposing the entire eyesocket ( giving vader the eyebrow appearance).

I think both Wilding and Naprous are actually too "thin" and lacking the deep, muscular "Prowse chest". Prowse grew substantially bigger around the waist area from ANH to ROTJ, which made Vader look even more massive in ESB and ROTJ. The RO helmet actually does not bother me that much although it's missing the "worn" look like in ANH. It's basically the chest armour, cod piece and cape that throws the costume off. I'm 6'6'' and weight around 95kg. In 1995 I tried on original ROTJ Vader chest armour in the LFL archives. I worked with weights at that time, but it looked completely wrong on me, totally oversized. I bet if they would have used a set of "Elstree" chest armour in RO Vader would have looked much better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:58 pm 

Or just make a padded body suit that was more the shape and size of Prowse. A few simple adjustments would have made a big difference.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:38 pm 

Darctic wrote:

The outside surface at the front sides of the ANH dome flare outward slightly. The RO dome curves inward (similar the eFx limited/legend). The ANH dome shape has more local variations in curvature, e.g. as seen in the pic you posted you can make out a thin elongated S shape outline along the dome's right side (left side as pictured).

The ANH face mask to me has a general look of being more square and chiseled with higher "cheekbones". The RO upper cheekline below the eye sockets angle downward towards the sides. This combined with the larger and longer U shape of the nose of the RO to me is reminiscent of the Don Post standard, which is why I jokingly posted that side-by-side next to the RO.

The eyebrows of the RO are more exposed compared to the ANH in the pics you posted, but there are some scenes in ANH where the dome sits higher or tilted back where they are exposed too. But the ANH eyebrows do not look so prominent be because they are not as brightly highlighted with silver/grey paint. And the ANH eyebrows have more chips and dips breaking up the light reflections so you don't see the entire eyebrow like you would in a smoothly sanded one.

Last edited by banthapoodoo on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:11 pm 

So, Gino just posted these responses to questions about the R1 on another forum.

"The R1 Vader helmet was made by using one of my old vader helmets that was lent to the production by a crew member, then it was modified into what you see on screen."

and when challenged:

"I was told this by the crew member in person."

Anyone know more on this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:20 pm 

Seriously? Gino posted that Bullshit? Please post a link.

Two months before the movie, he was cutting down he RO helmet - saying it would be a big disappointment, that it looked like a modified Rubies.

So...this begs the questions: Is Gino's helmet a Rubies?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:18 pm 

It was on rebelscum

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:51 pm 

intwenothor wrote:
So, Gino just posted these responses to questions about the R1 on another forum.

"The R1 Vader helmet was made by using one of my old vader helmets that was lent to the production by a crew member, then it was modified into what you see on screen."

and when challenged:

"I was told this by the crew member in person."

Anyone know more on this?

Yeah that "yoke" really made my day. :lol
Once again he shot the bird :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

But hey ...that may would explain why the R1 Vader helmet look so f***ked up.

Link to the thread.
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1133539

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:21 pm 

craigjohn wrote:

Two months before the movie, he was cutting down he RO helmet - saying it would be a big disappointment, that it looked like a modified Rubies.

Do you have that anywhere? It'd be so funny if that was copied into the thread.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:06 am 

(Removed. Probably shouldn't get into it..)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:46 am 

intwenothor wrote:
craigjohn wrote:

Made a print screen of that post :lol , that he not can say it's a lie or if he wanted to edtit it.
And if you go to the link of the thread you see, that it's not photoshoped by me.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=260573

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:30 am 

That thread jumps from the 9th to the 17th of May. When did you make that screen cap?

Edit: ignore this. I read the date on the screen cap as 16th (incorrectly).

Last edited by intwenothor on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:09 pm 

Not that I'm overly displeased with the way the R1 Vader turned out, but why-oh-why couldn't Vader look like this throughout the whole movie?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:38 pm 

Turrican wrote:
intwenothor wrote:
craigjohn wrote:

Made a print screen of that post :lol , that he not can say it's a lie or if he wanted to edtit it.
And if you go to the link of the thread you see, that it's not photoshoped by me.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=260573

Someone has. It wasn't me, I promise.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next