It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: ESB and RotJ Vader helmet's -what do we know?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:32 am 

darthjones wrote:
I looked for such things as well. Didn't see anything other than remnants of what is found on DJ/ SL castings.

Come to think of it, this ESB could even be out of that same mold for all we know.

One of my favorite helmets ever. Screen used or not this one is king material.

Cheers John and thanks John and Scott for incredible images of this very interesting helmet.

I wish I had seen this in person as well. Guys, you go to Celebration. There's an original Vader helmet. You bring a nice camera! :ac10 And you take a lot of photos! :whip2

The ESB masks did not come from something sourced from the Baker mold. Only tour pieces came from that mold (perhaps the Funeral Pyre helmet as well). Of course the dome would be the same as a TM dome. It seems very much to me that the tusk tube ends going back to the V-convergence were redone on this mask. Perhaps at one point they were damaged. Hard to tell if there's a bit of neck extension on Vader's left side of the rear of the neck but it seems like there might be, but I don't see the additional border inside the eye perimeter typical of a TM....just seems more like ANH and other original ESBs. The TM mask is a copy of a modified original ESB mask, as we have yet to see all the hallmarks of a TM on an original ESB mask. It will be fun to compare this mask to the Paul Allen ESB.

regards,

Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:59 am 

Wow..very nice pics of the ESB helmet. :drool
I must say...for us Vadernerds its nice to see all the details under the paint.But from the painting standard this is a very bad painted helmet.
Did they used any kind of filler under the paint?No sanding?What is with the heromasks?They are looking very clean and shiny on screen for me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:04 pm 

Don't think they used much sanding or filler as it had to be done quick.
Just paint and clear coat.
In a studio with a lot of spotlights, from 10 feet distance everything looks clean and shiny. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:42 pm 

But so much defects and scratches under the paint...I don´t know.
And I think they used no clearcoat on the screenused props for the OT.Had this discussion on the RPF last week also. :lol :toothy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:43 pm 

kroenen77 wrote:
But so much defects and scratches under the paint...I don´t know.
And I think they used no clearcoat on the screenused props for the OT.Had this discussion on the RPF last week also. :lol :toothy

Well than just do it as you think it looks right. :cheers
I doubt there will be a 100% correct answer after 40 years, as they made so much different sets during the whole production.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:08 pm 

Thats a good answer Stefan... :wink: :cheers

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13