It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: The GS ROTJ Vader helmet owned by original crew member
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:29 am 

Didn't wrote that agreement, just keep my word for it as asked .

Cause of the agreement in gernal....
The following is just my own personal opinion:

I have met a lot of people in this hobby over the last 10 years. And even there were a lot of really nice guys, there were also a bunch of real assholes.
Which just asked you something, if you had to share something, or if they could use you for their benefit to get their hand on things they want.
Sometimes only to put those things in a bunch of silicon to make some "private copys" for themselfs and their big buddys.

And i know that some of this kind of assholes would still love to get their hands on props like a unaltered TM cast, or would like to know all the backstory about it.
And i'm really happy about that fact, that some of those infos still not shared here and is it just that this kind of crowd not can get their hands on things like this.

Don't get me wrong , it's really nice that you casted that helmet and offered it for the public like this, but it's just a matter of time that also your helmet will be recasted from the guys i mentioned above, as it's quite easy now for them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:02 pm 

sskunky wrote:
In the interest of study I don't understand why these agreements are in place? Who started these privacy agreements anyway? I can go to an exhibition and photograph as I have before every little detail of an original helmet but for some unknown reason to me anyway we cannot share pics of "Authentic " casts???? Why on earth not? How are we supposed to educate and learn from things we cannot share? There are Lots high res shots of original helmets in books. But we cannot share pics of casting sold by people who have just moulded and cast helmets they bought? We have no openness on work that was carried out on all these so called authentic casts and to my knowledge the only unaltered cast that has been offered is the CFO GS helmet. Which incidentally has no such clauses. We have no photos of the processes people went to to bring us these casts we have absolutely no knowledge the casts being compared are not altered in anyway. I'm sorry but your word means nothing. If people have nothing to hide why not show and share pics of you stripping paint, filler etc etc.
This forum used to be a wealth of knowledge but nearly every thread has no photos left in it.

The TM buyers argreement is a relic from the time where people such as Phil aka SPFX used details from images on forums such as this one and added them on his castings including false information about the origins of his castings in order to boost his sales. The original TM for instance is now "public domain" as it resides in the Filmmuseum Frankfurt and can be photographed from every angle by any visitor.

The acetone used to remove the paint layers, primer and bondo on the original TM faceplate did in fact not harm the resin surface of the casting. I tried out different chemicals on a small spot on the neck edtension of the faceplate before I started to remove the paint on and around the tabs. Unfortunately the original TM faceplate has been sanded in a few spots prior to painting. Plus, there were small blobs of black resin sprinkled on the surface in order to fill out some casting imperfections such as air pockets. These blobs were carefully removed by JRX using plastic and wooden toothpicks.

I've been in touch with the owner of the GS helmet prior to molding and casting it. There is black paint on both the dome and faceplate which unfortunately cannot be removed using acetone or other common paint removers. I am convinced that underneath the black paint one will find the fine surface details of the original ANH faceplate in Grunbergs collection IF the faceplate hasn't been sanded prior to painting.

The GS castings look great and they are a perfect, if not the best basis for a ROTJ style Vader helmet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

So, does that mean it is time to amend the TM owner's agreement regarding the posting of pictures?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:59 pm 

Thanks for the reply Tom but I certainly wasn't singling you out as the same type of agreements have pretty much been set across the board. Even on casts that are moulded from painted masks.
I get the whole Phil thing but that's old news. I'd like to think we are passed that.

In regards to people recasting, that will happen anyway regardless of agreements and I believe the TM was recast wasn't it?
Buying a recast will always be different to buying a cast of an authentic casting as recasts do not have history or proof of origin. People have recast my Stormtrooper armour and helmets and my Hovi mic tips etc but they are all shite in comparison to the real deal. Believe it or not it takes years of experience and skill to make these things with a quality. I'd like to see a recast of a GS being passed off as the real thing. I own many authentic castings and have access to original props and I've yet to see anyone capture the same details we did from a third or fourth generation recast.

I hope that the guys that paid a fair sack of money for a GS have a respect for it. That's all I can ask. Signing a big of paper written by someone that "recast" a production piece means diddly squat. The word of that person means much more in my book. If it's recast it's recast. Nothing You or I can do to stop that not even with an "agreement".

I can't help but think if people are shady in their practices then they have something to hide. If nothing was added or taken away then you have nothing to fear. You being a collective you, no one in particular.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:05 pm 

No Humor Man wrote:
So, does that mean it is time to amend the TM owner's agreement regarding the posting of pictures?

Absolutely, yes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Cool.

I honestly feel the GS is going to turn a whole new leaf on the whole Vader community, which it has so desperately needed. Hopefully it can bring the openness and willingness to share that is known from the R2-builder's community. One can only hope, as the arguments and drama has actually held people back, who owned cool stuff, from coming forward and showing off their stuff. And sadly I added to that drama in the past without realizing what consequences it actually had to so many people.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:39 pm 

I removed the Pictures I've posted (detail shots of the tabs) - they were crap anyway due to the lack of quality when done with a mobile phone.

I understand the motive behind a buyer agreement - it's to protect the authenticy and to prevent recasters from adding genuine details on their "work".

I can't imagine any other community dealing with vader in this professional manner and I understand that some people won't let their pants down when it comes to detail shots of their unique casts / helmets but it's a bit sad that we take two steps forward an one step backwards every time something new pops up.

Please don't take this as criticism! We are privileged that things like a SL, TM, GS etc. were / are avaiable - even if it was to a very limited group of people.

It's difficult...I totally understand why some people won't share details on their helmets. I have sympathy for that! On the other side...it's like fishing in muddy water when it comes to a certain point of research.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:55 pm 

The sad thing about this forum is that I have been educated the most by trawling the internet and Facebook etc looking for parts and photos for my research rather than here. And that is really sad that I can find out more myself elsewhere than the one place I joined to feed my Vader addiction.
:ac6

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:25 pm 

sskunky wrote:
The sad thing about this forum is that I have been educated the most by trawling the internet and Facebook etc looking for parts and photos for my research rather than here. And that is really sad that I can find out more myself elsewhere than the one place I joined to feed my Vader addiction.
:ac6

Recasters such as John Boero (JB, Canada) and Phil Snavely (SPFX/Anarchy Designs) led to these agreements being drafted, also one ex owner who sold his rare helmet/mask directly to JB.

These things make owners nervous, why spend "big bucks" buying these "rare" casts when you can buy a copy for half the amount?

Unfortunately there are some people who will buy these knock offs.

But I agree the GS could well be a game changer, the Vader community is a good one to be a part of, and all that you've read on those other forums or FB probably originated here.

Alan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:48 pm 

Fatherless One wrote:
sskunky wrote:
Recasters such as John Boero (JB, Canada) and Phil Snavely (SPFX/Anarchy Designs) led to these agreements being drafted, also one ex owner who sold his rare helmet/mask directly to JB.
These things make owners nervous, why spend "big bucks" buying these "rare" casts when you can buy a copy for half the amount?

Jup.. and the same guys who bought the Steegmüller TM recasts, are now buying the GS helmet. :rolleyes

As the TM agreement seems to be repealed now, so happy sharing with those as well.
:cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:42 pm 

Turrican wrote:
Fatherless One wrote:
sskunky wrote:

Jup.. and the same guys who bought the Steegmüller TM recasts, are now buying the GS helmet. :rolleyes

As the TM agreement seems to be repealed now, so happy sharing with those as well.
:cheers

Has it been proven that Steegmueller produced and sold recasts of the TM? If so, I would very much appreciate if you could supply me with some information via PM or E-Mail.

The TM buyers agreement is still in place, only the point regarding sharing pictures of unpainted castings or the original has been amended.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:07 pm 
Random avatar

Post edited because its off topic

Last edited by Darth Niob on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:10 pm 

Fatherless One wrote:

Alan.

For an honest answer from a TM owner: because there are those in this hobby who believe having the privilege of owning one of these legit rare authentic casts still matters regardless of recasters.

If SPFX adds a copy of the TM ANH c-scar to his recast EFX ANH helmet and sells the RAW recasts for $300 - and being that a well detailed image of the TM C-Scar is already out there for anyone to find and reference, so technically he could do it any time he wants - it doesn't affect me one bit.

I know what I have on my shelf. I know the real lineage and history behind the cast. The TMs are still worth every penny I paid to have these in my collection.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:19 pm 

craigjohn wrote:
Fatherless One wrote:

Alan.
I know what I have on my shelf. I know the real lineage and history behind the cast. The TMs are still worth every penny I paid to have these in my collection.

I feel the same as you.

But there are some out there who don't.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:22 pm 

vadermania wrote:
Has it been proven that Steegmueller produced and sold recasts of the TM? If so, I would very much appreciate if you could supply me with some information via PM or E-Mail.

The TM buyers agreement is still in place, only the point regarding sharing pictures of unpainted castings or the original has been amended.

So by Jorg - is this the Jorg people are talking about who recast the TM?

https://www.facebook.com/jorg.steegmuller?fref=ts

Considering I can't imaging there are too many Jorg Steegmuller's in the world, I have to believe "yes".

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next