It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Fram Air Filter - for Vader's mouth grill
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:22 am 

I had heard there is someone in England who sells piece of grill from the same source they used 20 years ago. But at a price of something like $20, I though it was way overkill.

As I looked at some HD screen-captures, I noticed that in ANH the grill is black (you could see Prowse' skin behind it) whereas in ANH it's brighter but a dull metallic gray.

Regardless, it's one of those things that people aren't going to be paying super duper attention.

This air filter is by a company called Fram that makes a wide variety of automotive air filters. I bought this at Wal-mart for around $9.00.

There are different ways of making these diamond shapes. The way Fram does it is basically take zig-zag wires and join them at the apexes, so it forms little rectangles.

At certain angles, it's not so obvious.

If you get some Ferric Chloride (circuit board etchant) from Radio Shack and dilute it down with water (be careful. I hear you're supposed to pour acids into water. Dilute it down to 1 part FeCl and 4 parts H2O). And then soak the Fram filter. Gun blueing chemical may do the trick also.

Do the diamonds like up with the vents? Well, it all depends on the facemask.

The answer is no for the Don Post Deluxe because its air vents are wider and irregular. On the Don Post Classic Action (I have a recast so I don't know how accurate this is with the original DP CA) it seems to line up a bit better.

I can't tell you what model number this is as I discarded the box. But don't pay more than $9 or thereabouts. The cardboard box contained only this piece (shown in the inset of the first photo). There are more eloborate systems but it's just a waste of money. As the box is not taped up or anything, just find a box roughly the size of a box of chocolates and open it up and see if you see the above filter. If not, move on.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:39 am 

Quote:
Regardless, it's one of those things that people aren't going to be paying super duper attention.

Actually, I think it makes quite a difference to the look of the mask. I've spent years looking at the grillwork on my masks. The devil is in the details I say..... :wink:

Fram filters are great for ESB, thats what I use on my JB as it fits the scale of his face. You can get a little bigger and thicker grill from Mitsubishi tow truck air filters and Most large size Trucks that take a cylidrical filter which is the exact size of the movie stuff from ESB

For "ROTJ" style mesh, a higher quality of the same used in the DPD you can get a huge sheet of grill at Schucks for $30.00-ish
(not that you'd need that much)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:45 pm 

I just bought a big sheet of mesh from my local diy store and when i fitted it to my lid it was nice and shiny.

After been left on my shelf for a year or so it has now gone rusty all by itself, so i would just leave it as it is and let it weather naturally..

This is what it looked like new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:23 pm 

Really great tip Mac! I soaked some mesh in circuit board etchant that I diluted with water. It turned the shiny metal to a nice dark metallic grey. It looks great on my ESB lid!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:31 pm 

Just a reminder, if you decide to use the Ferric Chloride approach DON’T forget to dilute it with water! If you don’t you’ll get what I got last night, brown mesh! :grumpy

I finally found some accurate ESB mesh and I ruined it all. :putty

:angry4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:38 pm 

Dilute it about 4 parts water to 1 part FeCl. It'll darken it in seconds. Leave it in for up to half a minute if needed. Then neutralize it with, oh I dunno, baking soda and water. But just rinsing it is fine.

If you only darken it for a few seconds, you can burnish it using a kitchen brillo pad, and it'll help create an aged/antiquing effect.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:48 am 
Random avatar
Mac,
Do you still have the filter?
The # is always ink stamped on the orange part of a fram filter, or is it the white? Hmmmm?????? I'm almost positive it's on the orange part LOL :)
You might want to check the white to just to be sure.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:43 pm 
Random avatar

Thanks for the tip I will be needing grills very soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:23 pm 
Random avatar

As usual Mac, great tip.

Hobie