It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 42  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: 1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

Working on the scans and models for the v2 line. Better scans, reworked and resized models. Worked until the last minute of the trial on the software I was using with some additional tweaks to make things more accurate. As it stands now, I won't be able to save anymore, so I can't make anymore tweaks... so this is as good as it gets. I probably won't print the dome, but I am trying to find another source for some of the parts and previous scans, so this project isn't over yet.

The Nefertiti bust is a scan of the actual piece that has been shared online.

And in the last minutes of the trial I even worked up a 1x4x9 Monolith from 2001 just for fun.

Image, on Flickr

This will probably be the last update in a while... these past 42 days have been rough as hell... so I need a break.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:42 am 

Very good job on the scans :thumbsup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

Latest print.

Image, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:15 pm 

WOW those look amazing!! any plans on selling copies of the Vader helmets? if so I'd be interested in both ESB and ANH helmets!!

AMAZING work!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Yes. It will be through the new owner / producer. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:29 pm 

Those looks amazing! Hopefully it will happen -- I'm been coveting the ANH set for years now.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:52 pm 
Random avatar

I love those. I would dearly love a copy of the ANH helmet. It has been a dream of mine for a very long time

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:43 pm 

Simply awesome! :thumbsup I'd like an ANH Vader lid too, painted right and with a neat little stand this would be a superb collectible for display

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:04 pm 
Random avatar

great pieces

love to see them finaly in production

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Wanted to show the whole line-up.

First is the v1 scan and print project I did several years ago, printed in both high and highest resolution - most of the armor pieces, since they required cleanup, was only printed in high resolution at the time. Currently turning face mask and dome into RotJ style:
Image, on Flickr

Then there is the beginning of the v2 project when I had better scans made and printed in highest quality available. I actually cut the back of the Prowse head off, so I could replace the scar damage that had been warped when I had a 3D modeler work on the face - I printed new scar detail from the original scan and glued it onto the face part. But currently, I'm sculpting hair and eyebrows on him that will be removable after molding, for a special bust project of Prowse in the ANH Vader getup holding the helmet in his hand, similar to the pictures from that early board game.
Image, on Flickr

And then the lastest v2 scan and print batch:
Image, on Flickr

I'm gearing up for an last scan and print batch to update the whole v1 set with new chest armor and shins and ESB dome and ANH dome scan. I'm slowly collecting parts to be scanned but this may take a while.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:12 pm 

Incredible detail. How was the Prowse head sculpted- completely digitally?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

Well, Vadermonkey, sculpted the Prowse head for his ESB reveal that was then scanned, but I had a particular look in mind, so with permission from him, I had a digital artist - Sean Dabbs, who I had been working with on the Chloe Moretz head sculpt and where I have helped with reference and suggestions for some of his other sculpts for his producers Warriors Gate Productions who specialize in head sculpts and accessories for sixth scale figures - take a stab at it and ended up with the current look. His work altered the shape of the rear of the head and softened the detail of the scars, which is why I went back to the original scan, scaled it, and printed the back of the head anew with the sharper and more accurately shaped scar detail and just glued it onto the face part and filled the gap between the two. Still working in it, as I had limited funds when Sean worked on it, so he worked until he reached the agreed upon amount, so I have a few things to fix, but I'm getting there. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Been working on adding hair to Prowse since the start of February and just wanted to show the progress. Sorry for the dark and blurry pictures - lighting sucked and I couldn't hold my damn hand still for my phone to focus and get a good shot. The other pictures show the same issue, as they were all taken with my phone camera.

Here's a shot from February 5th when I started the basic hair "shell" made out of apoxie sculpt, as I can't sculpt directly onto the head cast due to wanting to save the scar detail on the back of his head. In order to do this and not have the shell grip the head and be impossible to take off I am leaving some areas off such as the temple and sideburns, which will be done in super sculpey, so I can mold it and then remove the hair for a reveal style Prowse for later.
Image, on Flickr

Moving on to February 11th and I started adding in hair details, such as basic thickness and started working on the hair at his brow and chose the swooped up look he has in some pictures taken during ANH. I can't remember if I had started working on the area between his eyebrows and upper eyelids at this time, opening that up and making the eyelids more visible and not covered like most others and giving him that specific look.
Image, on Flickr

February 13th I had been working more on the left side, bulking things up and starting to add swirls and alternate directions for the hair to give it that wild seventies look. Working on Prowse really shows what a large mane he actually has and it's actually fairly reminiscent of how Anakin was shown during RotS, just parted at the opposite side and not as curly.
Image, on Flickr

Then we come to last night, February 18th where I worked some more on the hair at his brow and the parting line and I think I did a pretty decent job of making it look natural.
Image, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:39 pm 

Looking good. You've captured Prowse's vintage hair style well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Thanks. I hope to make it look more natural down the sides and back. It's gonna be interesting to see him with the sideburns as well. Just hope I'll be able to mold him well enough and not have too many air bubbles, as I think pulling off the mold will ruin the super sculpey areas, so I get one chance to get this right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 42  Next