It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Down under so called ANH helmet.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:53 am 
Random avatar

Oh that is cool mate. I live in Aus too and had thought about trying to track this fellow down to ask a few questions and perhaps actually see such a cool item. Well done on arranging a meet. Ha I wish I lived closer to Melbourne.

You should hit him up and see if he would want to make a few castings for sale. I'm sure there would be interest.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:19 pm 

fon wrote:
Oh that is cool mate. I live in Aus too and had thought about trying to track this fellow down to ask a few questions and perhaps actually see such a cool item. Well done on arranging a meet. Ha I wish I lived closer to Melbourne.

You should hit him up and see if he would want to make a few castings for sale. I'm sure there would be interest.

Cheers.

:thumbsup

So we could have the GS (ROTJ) helmet, and now the CV? (Chris' Vader?) helmet...an ESB....in the mix.

Very cool you're going to see this helmet in person, Mickxc.

These ARE the good ol' days. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:27 pm 

Mickxc wrote:
Gents,
I'm a Aussie & TM owner & like you have obsessed over the minute detail of vaders costume, like you love this stuff!

After talking to the man who has possession of the helmet, and listening to him describe it, I believe he has an original esb pre-production casting, and is a brother of the TM. I have been offer an opportunity to view it & compare it to my TM . Can't wait!!!!
Will come back with plenty of photos, but he is due to post photos of it on the net soon.

No fear. In all of this I will pay full respect for the wishes & agreements entered into with tom.
Tom, I'll send you a pm/ email, hoping you can assist him in the path of authentication

This is sooo cool!

That is outstanding!! Thank you so much -- it will be great to welcome a new member and see an important discovery!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:22 pm 
Random avatar

You know it's crazy that the poor bloke has been inundated with Aussies ringing up and saying "it's a fake" . It shows the typical Aussie attitude of calling "Bullshit" even if the person has no idea.
Some people are somewhat more informed saying "Brian Muir didn't say that."
And this is correct, but still they are ill informed.
I'm the only bloke who phoned to say "what the newspaper stated about it being from the original anh is factually incorrect, but it could well be an original production cast from either esb or Jedi & here is afew markings to look for that can further prove it" .
He agreed with this & said the paper changed the story when they went to print to make it more interesting to the public
He stated that the journalist who wrote the article gave the correct longer version of the story but the editor changed it .

He says they have traced it back to Alan crowler who was the fibrocaster who made it and has provided certification and there is now a bidding war between individuals & auction houses.

More info to come & hopefully some pics

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:13 pm 

Thanks, Mickxc.

I would hope the owner doesn't want to sell his helmet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:31 pm 
Random avatar

Bidding interest started from auction houses around the world. Our combined hope is that it remains in australia & ends up on public display

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah. Thanks for checking into things and approaching the owner in a respectful way and thanks for letting us know that the newspaper has changed the actual story. Having spotted a few details that rings true to UK mold lineage casts - even in the poor image shown, I have tried to keep an open mind about the helmet. No way is it ANH... but it will be interesting to see what kind of details this helmet actually sports. Hope the owner is cool with showing off his piece and he certainly deserves the complete truth regarding his piece, as far as it can be ascertained.

In case it checks out, it is cool to see more of these helmets pop up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:05 pm 

It's great that a few new discoveries are still being made :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:23 pm 
Random avatar

For the purpose of accurate information flow, i reiterate that i havent seen it yet nor seen photos of it as it wasvpacked away so cant confirm ir deny if it matches what we know to be signs of true lineage, but his back story fits the line of the TM & GS rotj.

Hope to have more definite info soon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:20 am 

Really cool and thanks for your effort on this. :thumbsup
Looking forward what you have to say about the helmet, if you have seen him with your own eyes.

Post subject: Re: Down under helmet.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:27 am 

This is a cool twist to the helmet story. Glad to hear you are going to try to find out what is going on, Mick. :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:56 am 
Random avatar

A small update:
Tom (vadermania) has been introduced to the owner to share his experience of authenticating the TM before it was transfered to the Frankfurt Film museum , and to assist the owner in further authenticating it. Hes in good & reliable hands now.

Also the owner says he has spent a year tracing & confirming the people involved in its passage from elstree studios all the way down under.
He said the museums are satisfied with his supporting evidence. Look to finding more about this as Tom works with him

A great single point that indicates some form of authenticity is that the boy had the mask prior (or perhaps straight after? Tbc) esb.
This was prior to any don post classic action or any other replica

All exciting stuff- great to be a vader fan & able to assist connecting the owner to the true vader experts

Cheers
Mike

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome choice. Tom really is one of the greats. Very stand-up guy. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

Can't wait to hear and see more of this piece.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:32 pm 

Yep, time for an update (and for possibly movin this thread in the Authentic Casts Discussion section :wink: ).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next