It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: My RS stormtrooper helmet. :-)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:48 pm 

I find it hard to believe that any person/company could nail a stormtrooper costume down to one seen in any specific scene.
There were loads of suits produced and probably all from the same molds, so how could one be so sure of it being "that suit"?

Btw I'm not trying to start an argument, it's just one of those hard to prove claims that some make.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:21 am 
Random avatar

Fatherless One wrote:
I find it hard to believe that any person/company could nail a stormtrooper costume down to one seen in any specific scene.
There were loads of suits produced and probably all from the same molds, so how could one be so sure of it being "that suit"?

Btw I'm not trying to start an argument, it's just one of those hard to prove claims that some make.

It can be nailed down by the specific damage, scratches, painted details and trimming/flashing left. Iirc the rs suit had a three button ab plate which differentiates it from that specific suit and makes it one of the sandtrooper suits. However the belt IS the same as it is the only one seen with that holster mounted upside down.

The other interesting thing is I sent RS a message a few months back with that picture iD'ing which I am possitive is their helmet. I never got a reply so I assume they don't care, but the damage., painted details and trimming of the left ear on their helmet match 100% to the helmet seen in the foreground.
Attachment:
2016-09-14 01.51.41.png

Attachment:
2016-09-14 01.52.49.jpg

Attachment:
2016-09-14 01.52.49.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:16 am 

dcarty wrote:
locitus wrote:
Fener wrote:
I don't know about RS helmets, what I know (heard) is that the original stunt helmets were made of hdpe.

That's actually just a rumour that Andrew Ainsworth started, and has never been confirmed.

Just to split hairs -- strictly speaking that piece of information comes from Matt "Trooper Expert" Gauthier. Back in the early 2000's before he had been banned from pretty much every forum on the interwebs he was describing one of the screen used helmets he'd had access to and noted that it was made from a flimsy cheap plastic kind of "similar" to what plastic milk containers are made from. Someone chimed in with the fact that plastic is called HDPE and the rumor mill did the rest.

Keep in mind that at the time this information was something of a bombshell.

You are correct, though, that the exact plastic has never been confirmed at least that I'm aware of. RS Props original run done in vintage plastic is probably the closest we'll come to the real thing :thumbsup

Cheers,

Dave

Cause of the HDPE myth thing.

I would say the most important letters in it are the "P" and the "E".
As that's the major material.

The nature of this material is hydrophobic. The main reason why the paint adhere so bad on that stuff.
Also it would fit to the stuff which Ainsworth did in his shop at this time.
Garden ponds and canoe.

As i also have now one of this helmet's out of this stuff in my collection, i can say that the cracking of the paint looks identical as to the screen used helmets.
Also if the paint comes off, it comes off completly including the red primer which got used.
That may could be a reason why you not see any red primer reamaining at the screen used helmets where the paint had comes off as well.
The surface outside of the helmet is very smooth while the inside is more rough.

I will not say that this PE "IS" the correct real material. But the colour matches perfectly as the characteristics.
So if it's not the same it should be 99 % close.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:24 am 

I'd agree it's some kind of polyethylene (PE) or polypropylene (PP). And that RS Propmasters doesn't seem too interested in pursuing or answering the question of which screen-used helmet it is. At least 3 different people I now know have emailed them about a possible match (including myself) and received no reply. Here's another thread where troopermaster and I had independently identified the following helmet as a potential match: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28570-Possible-screen-match-of-RS-Propmasters-helmet

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:51 pm 

dcarty wrote:
craigjohn wrote:
I always preferred the lower browed TK helmet, as they look a bit less surprised. LOL

Same for ANH Vader over ROTJ, lol :wink:

Dave

AHHH-HAHAHAHA! Oh no you d'int. :lol

Edit: I should add, there is one distinct difference between a lower brow TK helmet and the low brow of the ANH Vader helmet. The TK helmet isn't hiding a distinguishing feature. On the Vader helmet, the low helmet hides the eye brows - a helmet characteristic I personally prefer to see.

...I like that that little hint (high light) of detail. :)

The high brow/low brow of the TK bucket doesn't hide anything.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:23 pm 

Why the original RS helmet was stripped? :discussion

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:28 pm 

Fener wrote:

All what you want to know you can find here:
newly-found-anh-stormtrooper-helmet-and-armor-vt3315.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:53 pm 

Turrican wrote:
Fener wrote:

All what you want to know you can find here:
newly-found-anh-stormtrooper-helmet-and-armor-vt3315.html

Thanks! :cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:00 pm 
Random avatar

Awesome info, I've been wondering about this stuff for years. Any chance I can get a copy of those photos? I'd love to print them and put them behind my RS helmet
Thanks mike

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:00 am 

craigjohn wrote:
dcarty wrote:
craigjohn wrote:
I always preferred the lower browed TK helmet, as they look a bit less surprised. LOL

Same for ANH Vader over ROTJ, lol :wink:

Dave

AHHH-HAHAHAHA! Oh no you d'int. :lol

Edit: I should add, there is one distinct difference between a lower brow TK helmet and the low brow of the ANH Vader helmet. The TK helmet isn't hiding a distinguishing feature. On the Vader helmet, the low helmet hides the eye brows - a helmet characteristic I personally prefer to see.

...I like that that little hint (high light) of detail. :)

The high brow/low brow of the TK bucket doesn't hide anything.

One of my all time favourite Vader images, I love ESB Vader. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:27 pm 

Mickxc wrote:
Awesome info, I've been wondering about this stuff for years. Any chance I can get a copy of those photos? I'd love to print them and put them behind my RS helmet
Thanks mike

I still have them, but as i burend my fingers with those for one time, i consider to ask RS props.