It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Wanna see where many Star Wars props (screen used) ends?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:50 pm 

When reviews are written on Amazon, there are reviewers who post pics or videos from the books, and the authors cannot do much about it.

Unless this book is promoted well it could turn out to be a flop for him, especially because in the end it is addressed to a tiny group of people, and besides that, it is only in French,while the vast majority of Star Wars fans are speaking in English, no matter their country of origin.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:27 pm 

Technically there is no problem with the author wanting the photo removed. That's entirely up to the authors and publishers, it's their books.

I'm beyond ecstatic they produced and published this book, and chose to share their collection for Star Wars fans. I'm also wildly happy I was able to order this book through UK Amazon - I was going to buy the book regardless if I saw the Vader photos from the book online or not.

I'm mildly disappointed it's not published in English, nor is it available at US Amazon - which the US has a rather large Star Wars Original Trilogy following. That's a huge market that's missed. :wink:

To that end, if you want to sell a product, it takes some form of marketing. The best form of marketing in a niche market is word of mouth. A photo or two of Vader isn't going to deter anyone from purchasing the book - but it may inspire some people to purchase the book if they get an idea of the quality of images inside. The benefits outweigh the cons.

:thumbsup

No Humor Man wrote:
I see no problem with the author wanting the pictures removed. If it was me who was publishing a new book and having spent a lot of time and money on it, I would feel very afraid of loss of sales if stuff from said book was posted freely online. We need to show respect and not be selfish in our quest for all things we obsess about.

Seriously, I'm amazed by the collection and that it is being shown off and not kept hidden. We should seriously consider protecting that instead of potentially damaging their interest in ever showing it off ever again.

Hope that makes sense.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:20 pm 

Oups ! Sorry for sharing pictures .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:29 am 

Just ordered the book! :toothy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:11 pm 

belloq wrote:
Indeed, the lenses appear to be greyish to me in the those photos, but certainly not reflecting amber color. However, so many shots on screen and in production photos reflect amber color. I wonder if the original amber lenses were swapped out or lost at some point during its use for promo and molding?

About a year ago in another thread the general topic of of lens color was brought up. I'm no expert but I researched it some to understand the basics of the phenomenon and the optics terminology to describe it.

A colored lens is basically a filter. An amber colored lens filters out any light frequencies not among the component color frequencies of amber. The color amber is defined as the combination of colors red and green, RGB (255, 165, 0). To see the amber color there needs to be a source of light containing equal intensities of red and green (such as a white light) on the opposite side of the lens compared to the side that we're viewing the lens from. The light passing from one side of the lens through the other side is called transmitted light. Only amber light or its component colors red and green can be transmitted through an amber lens (100% of red intensity is transmitted; 165/255=64% of green is transmitted; 0% of blue is transmitted).

Reflected light does not go through the lens but bounces back from the outer surface of the lens to the same side as the light source. The color of the reflected light is the color of the light source.

Pigments and imperfections in the lens such as scratches, fine cracks, and contaminations such as dust, haze, and even fungus which can grow within a lens can create "subsurface scattering" where we actually see the lens itself diffusely illuminated. But the color may or may not be amber depending on how it propagates along the lens and the color of the contaminants.

I took a few photos of my 1979 standard Vader mask to check lens color under different lighting conditions. These are the original amber lenses, obviously old! Lots of scratches and fine cracks within them, with some haze from a few hundred applications of Armor All over the years.

Under very bright light, the dominant color I see in these tests is a cloudy gray-ish (even green-ish) white due to subsurface scattering within the lens itself. This could be one possible explanation for the color seen in the lenses in photos of the original mask, even if the original color was amber. It may still actually be amber but can only be seen under particular lighting conditions. The best way to ascertain the lens color of the original mask is to see them from the front with only a white light source behind the lenses.

Last edited by banthapoodoo on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:13 pm 

Awesome post BP! I've long wanted to do something similar so everyone can have a general idea of color shift and the issues that can affect lens color. Excellent work :thumbsup

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:48 am 

Thanks Dave! I edited the post with a correction noting that the color amber is actually a mixture of additive colors red and green, either of which can be transmitted through an amber lens. I confirmed this looking through the trusty DP Standard amber lenses that red source light does transmit through as red (with close to 100% intensity), as does green (with attenuated intensity). As you said in an earlier post, a green source light behind the lens would be transmitted through the lens and could cause the lens to look green. And a color shift does occur when the source light is a combination of different intensities of red and green in which case the transmitted color through the lens will be different than the source light color. Pretty neat stuff, and no wonder there was so much debate for so long regarding the actual color of the ANH lens!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:38 am 

Really interesting post BP!! Thanks for sharing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:14 pm 
Random avatar

My copy of the book came today. All I'll say is that anyone who is a star wars fan needs to have this book. Some fantastic images and it is HEAVY ! Very nicely done and my thanks go to all involved who made it possible.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:14 pm 

paulcarson wrote:
My copy of the book came today. All I'll say is that anyone who is a star wars fan needs to have this book. Some fantastic images and it is HEAVY ! Very nicely done and my thanks go to all involved who made it possible.

I was on the fence deciding whether to purchase this book, but your post provided me the nudge for me to buy it. Should arrive in a few weeks! (And I hope you are not actually Mr. Girod using a sockpuppet account to increase book sales. Regardless, it worked!) ;)

And here's the fine print on Amazon.uk that solves the mystery of the change in price at checkout. "The Recommended Retail Price (RRP) and/or price displayed for goods sold by Amazon are inclusive of UK VAT. However, your final price may differ depending on the actual VAT rate that applies to your order."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:34 pm 
Random avatar

You won't regret buying it. I'm not a sock puppet account fortunately, just a lifelong Vader fan. I don'the have the vast funds available to me as some do to have fantastic helmets in their collection so I just live through the pics and info posted on here.

I wish that I were the author though, as that collection is just stunning.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:27 am 

I certainly look forward to getting the book. Of course mostly for the pictures, but there's a camera mode in Google Translate that will translate text in real time, which I plan to use since I don't parlez-vous francais. Wish I did.

Oh trust me I'm right there with you. I don't have any ultra-accurate helmets, but it's still thrill to see them nonetheless. For me it's more of a quest to understand what accurate is across the different Vader variants. It's a fun puzzle to try to solve.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:15 am 
Random avatar

To those of you with the book. Does it contain any pictures of the stormtrooper helmets/suits within his collection aswell? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:00 pm 

paulcarson wrote:
I don'the have the vast funds available to me as some do to have fantastic helmets in their collection so I just live through the pics and info posted on here.

I'm in the same boat, my friend! :banger :cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:26 pm 

fon wrote:
To those of you with the book. Does it contain any pictures of the stormtrooper helmets/suits within his collection aswell? Thanks

Yes there are some pics, like the hero stormtrooper helmet weared by Han Solo .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next