It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: A quality collection of promo and BTS images from mysananton
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:11 pm 

Some of these I had not seen before. The color version of the Academy Awards photo, and Vader holding up an understandably giddy child. The helmet looks interesting in that picture.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/slideshow/Star-Wars-73630/photo-5431605.php

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A quality collection of promo and BTS images from mysana
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing that link. Nice pictures and cool to have descriptions to go with them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:39 pm 

Very cool pics indeed! Thanks :cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:15 pm 

The neck of the mask in the first photo appears to be black. Also notice how thin the chest armour is, it hugs the chest perfectly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:30 am 
Site Admin

There are two pictures of the same costume from the same public appearance in the list of pictures. And there's a third from that showing floating around online of Vader standing in front of a London double decker bus with two troopers behind him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:44 pm 

Great photos, thanks for sharing!

The image of R2 meeting Mickey Mouse back in 1978 is, well ironic!

Fatherless One wrote:
The neck of the mask in the first photo appears to be black. Also notice how thin the chest armour is, it hugs the chest perfectly.

That mask I believe is the Paul Allen stunt mask, the black neck is the tinted plastic. You can just make out a glimpse of the grey-painted fibreglass neck right at the back where the plastic portion ends.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:12 pm 

Yep I agree about it being the ESB stunt helmet, the black part of the mask being the see-through perspex. The photo in front of the double decker bus I believe was previously identified as the ESB stunt helmet (at least in my photo collection, that's where I put it, though it was a close-up of just the helmet).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:44 pm 

In this brightened low-resolution snip from ESB, I believe I see a similar transition from perspex to fiberglass at the rear of the mask.

Also, I've always wondered but never asked, was there just the one Stunt ESB screen-used helmet? And is it the same as what is also referred to as the "fencing" helmet or the "Paul Allen" helmet? And is Paul Allen the billionaire from Microsoft or someone else?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:37 pm 

banthapoodoo wrote:
Also, I've always wondered but never asked, was there just the one Stunt ESB screen-used helmet? And is it the same as what is also referred to as the "fencing" helmet or the "Paul Allen" helmet? And is Paul Allen the billionaire from Microsoft or someone else?

My understanding of things is that there were two stunt/dueling masks made: the ESB and ROTJ. We've come to refer to them as such because they are uniquely screen matched to each film. I don't recall if we have solid evidence for when each was built but I suspect they were both made simultaneously. My reasoning is I would think that they would want one as a back-up and then they only ended up using them one at a time. The ROTJ helmet is still in the archives as far as I know and is easily recognizable because of its "fat lip" along the bottom of the mouth triangle.

The ESB stunt/fencing helmet was sold at a Christie's auction in 1992 then, if I recall correctly, sold again in the early 2000's where it was purchased by Paul Allen of Microsoft for his private collection which became the basis for the Science Fiction Museum he started that was restructured into the current EMP Museum in Seattle.

Our own Mike "Vadermonkey" can speak more directly to the helmet as he has handled it on numerous occasions as well as crafted the suit that was the helmet is displayed with.

:-) Dave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:23 am 

Thanks Dave for the info!

The current EMP museum special attraction is "Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds".  The Star Wars exhibit may no longer be on display :(  But using search terms for the museum names you mentioned, i did find lots of great pics of the Star Wars exhibit when it was in Seattle and on the road.  For a while it looks like the ESB Stunt Vader was replaced in the exhibit with a ROTS Vader.  Blechhhh.  I included below a nice close-up of the ESB stunt while on display I found online (probably taken from a distance of 2-3 ft).

I've seen the pics the Vadermoney replica stunt ESB helmet which for a while I'd mistaken for the screen-used one.  Very accurately done!

Of Paul Allen's extensive archive nice that he avails them for public viewing (for the price of admission).  The Stunt Vader and Alien props are amazing.  In photos of the full size "Big Chap" Alien Xenomorph I can finally see the human face in the front of the translucent skull not clearly seen in the movie.

Interesting that the ESB Stunt and ROTJ Stunt may have been made at the same time.  Cook while the griddle is hot, so to speak.  I would guess the ESB Stunt (Half Fat Lip) was made first (which incidentally follows a similar lower lip droop as the DPDLX...hmmm).  Then that was fixed when making the ROTJ Stunt to level it out creating the Fat Lip.  Shaping the Perspex to meet up with the fiberglass probably wasn't easy!

Yes I believe the ROTJ stunt is in the Lucasfilm archive.  In the promo video for Brandon's Star Wars Costumes book he is shown holding the mask.

Profile E-mail