It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One reshoots?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:03 pm 

It's definitely not a Vader film. Which is just fine. But that's why ya can't tone him down when he shows up!

But no, there has never been any JJ going on with this. I recall someone making a point of that way back.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:22 am 
Random avatar

Don't think there will be any more involvement from J.J. in any future SW films. Not knocking him but I'm glad to see others get a chance to steer the SW ship. Many have been in anticipation of a film like R1 for some time, and hold out hope there are no fucking Gungans or ewoks in the mother trucker... Doubtful these could rival ep 4 or 5, in my opinion, but relieved to go back close to the ANH timeframe.

Any leaked views of the new Vader? Gotta be something out there....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:08 pm 

JJ is the executive producer for SW E8. His hands are very much entangled in new trilogy.

I do like that Rian Johnson is both the screenplay writer and director (I loved Looper). Hoping he's brought on board for E9.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:13 pm 
Random avatar

Damn! Where did I hear otherwise? Nothing against JJ, but I have zero desire to see another one he's done.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:12 am 

syllander wrote:
Damn! Where did I hear otherwise? Nothing against JJ, but I have zero desire to see another one he's done.

Yeah, I wish he was done with Star Wars, but he'll be busy messing things up in the new trilogy. Since he doesn't have anything to do with the anthology movies, they are what I'm looking forward to.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:34 pm 

Kathleen Kennedy (essentially) has the final call on all things related to star wars movies.

IMO, JJ did a good job getting the new story off the ground, while ignoring much of the prequels. :) Design wise, I'm not a huge fan of the FO Stormtrooper armor, Kylo Ren is pretty cool in an unstable kinda way. Love that JJ went back to actual locations and used real sets, locations and props for most of the TFA.

The second movie is the pivot, much like ESB - that'll be very telling in where Disney decides to take this particular trilogy.

I do hope they expand on the "spin off" movies. I'd love to see a trilogy about the smuggler side of Han Solo, seeing his relationship with Jabba fall apart, and basically lead right up until he meets with Luke and Obi wan at the Cantina.

In a similar vein, I'd have loved to see Rogue One, ignoring the entire prequel disaster, made into a Trilogy leading right up the opening chase of ANH. That'd have been pretty slick and worth of a true prequel. :)

They could do this with Boba Fett - or blend him into the Han Solo movie. Not sure if he'd be a good lead character, though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:31 pm 
Random avatar

Definitely more enthused to see R1 then the Ep8. Obviously being a SW fan I'll see them regardless, but agree with statements that the stand alone films will probably be better.
As a Boba fan, I can't imagine an entire movie about him being worth a shit. As Craig said, an appearance in a Solo movie would be the way to go.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:10 am 
Site Admin

Having seen it, I was again reminded why the CGI replacement faces never really look right. Too much detail. Too much color. Too well lit compared to the rest. It was especially visible with Tarkin and again with Leia. But Tarkin in particular. I've seen before and after video segments where the original actor acted out the scene, and then with the replacement. Not only did they brighten him in the scene and they didn't at all notice how the skin looked on the actual actor when working in the Peter Cushing likeness. They seem to blatantly ignore all that readily available information right there in front of them in the shot itself.

Also, I don't know many old people who have really colorful and vibrant skin tones - they are always muted or greyed out. So did a test in photoshop, where I took a photo, made it grey scale, then added a color copy on top of it and scaled the opacity to 70% on the left and at 50% on the right and the result is so much better and makes it look much more realistic.

Let me know what you think:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:54 am 
Random avatar

Pic on the L looks more realistic toned to me. Far R looks like he's sickly.
This color variation would've made him seem maybe slightly more believable.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:25 am 

I finally watched Rogue One (3 times so far) - it is a very good movie.  I place it at #4 in the saga on my list.

* Characters - Good mix of diverse, likeable characters.  And broader inclusion of nationalities, not just American and British, representing more of the Star Wars fan base.
* Action Sequences - Perhaps the best of the saga, well directed, shot, and performed.  Special Effects are excellent.
* Expansive scenery well depicted with moving, panning camera viewpoints.
* K-2SO -  C3PO on steroids, his alter ego.  Provides some comic relief in an otherwise rather stark movie.
* Death Troopers - bad ass, look and act mean, the encrypted mechanical voice adds to their cold sinister nature.

DISLIKES:
* Music - generic, simple, definitely not John Williams.  No memorable or character-specific themes.  Sometimes obtrusive rather than complementary / elaborative.
* Tarkin - Facial expressions and lip syncing not always matched to dialogue.  And the pitch of his voice was a few notes too high. And as NHM noted, the face coloration/contrast was too high and the texture too ruddy.
* Vader - Too stiff and choreographed.  The lightsaber fight scene with the Rebels looked like a performance from an episode of "Imperials Got Talent" with all the rehearsed fist clenches, arm thrusts, and lightsaber twirls.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:02 am 
Random avatar

banthapoodoo wrote:
I finally watched Rogue One (3 times so far) - it is a very good movie.  I place it at #4 in the saga on my list.

* Characters - Good mix of diverse, likeable characters.  And broader inclusion of nationalities, not just American and British, representing more of the Star Wars fan base.
* Action Sequences - Perhaps the best of the saga, well directed, shot, and performed.  Special Effects are excellent.
* Expansive scenery well depicted with moving, panning camera viewpoints.
* K-2SO -  C3PO on steroids, his alter ego.  Provides some comic relief in an otherwise rather stark movie.
* Death Troopers - bad ass, look and act mean, the encrypted mechanical voice adds to their cold sinister nature.

DISLIKES:
* Music - generic, simple, definitely not John Williams.  No memorable or character-specific themes.  Sometimes obtrusive rather than complementary / elaborative.
* Tarkin - Facial expressions and lip syncing not always matched to dialogue.  And the pitch of his voice was a few notes too high. And as NHM noted, the face coloration/contrast was too high and the texture too ruddy.
* Vader - Too stiff and choreographed.  The lightsaber fight scene with the Rebels looked like a performance from an episode of "Imperials Got Talent" with all the rehearsed fist clenches, arm thrusts, and lightsaber twirls.

Vader does lightsaber twirls in Rogue One? Vader is too stiff in Rogue One? He was stiff in the original Star Wars movie dueling with Obi-Wan so it's actually perfect and consistent. Watch the movie again this time without your eyes closed.

Profile E-mail