It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Rogue One reshoots?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:13 am 

Okay - DISNEY, listen!!!! You folks are nuts if the reports about a reshoot to "lighten" Rogue One are true. IF you want a film with huge returns you will let a more adult film happen. Truly. Disney, right now, would do reshoots on Empire Strikes Back to "lighten it."

Hear me?!!!! In their current mindset, Disney would do reshoots on Empire Strikes Back.

We need a gravid Star Wars movie. You want a film where EVERYONE goes to repeat viewings? THEN DO NOT LIGHTEN THE MOOD.

Lucas went full kids mode with prequels - look at what happened.

The best critique of Force Awakens, from Rolling Stone I think, said (paraphrasing) "that it was so good at giving us what we wanted that it did not give us what we did not know we wanted."

And the biggest money spending crowd out there wants a Star Wars film with some grit. Some grit with a vengeance.

You know I'm right.

Post subject: Re: Rogue One reshoots?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:46 am 

Hear! Hear!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:46 pm 

Yousah thinkin thuh Rouge One gonna be bombad??? Bbbbbblllllllll!!!

Well I hope not. I expect Disney will try to appeal to the broadest demographic possible. I too hope they don't neuter it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:46 pm 

Back off the ledge....

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-o ... mikkelsen/

...we haven't even seen the movie yet... :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:56 pm 

Nice to hear from Mikkelsen on the subject. I have seen him in several interviews and his sensibilities always seem just spot on.

But the thing that makes me cringe is the idea of changing the "tone." The last FIVE Star Wars films have strayed away from the universal appeal of the ANH and ESB. Not "kid" appeal but universal appeal. ESB gets as much kid viewing as anything else Star Wars and even my 8 year old niece favors it, calling Phantom Menace "so-so." Any producer at Disney has got to get it out of their head, the idea of making a film for the Mr. and Mrs. Mayonnaise family out there.

Disney, if you let a Star Wars film lean that much more toward "adult" you will get exponentially more money.

A GREAT experiment would be to do an R rated Star Wars spin off focusing on Vader hunt down of remaining Jedi. Something tackled IN ANIMATION FOR KIDS. I must admit that the first Vader episode was quite something but stop pulling back from the fact that the guy is a murderer, a slave to the dark side, who cannot see the world correctly. Delve into this rich mine!!!

Some of the comics have touched on it beautifully. Dark Horse so far has still done a better job than what Marvel is currently doing. But it's early yet.

But if you have scenes in Rogue One that you are removing because they are too violent, leave them in. I can understand that any scene can get restructured due to pacing, etc. but do not remove for violence. Star Wars has to be scary sometimes. And a lot scarier than it has become. Raise the stakes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:27 pm 

I agree DJ, and one of the reasons ESB is my favourite is it's dark depths.

I'm a Harry Potter fan and as the movies progressed and they got darker/scarier they got even better, the kid's can take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:03 am 

To be fair, The Force Awakens tipped closer to ESB (darker, more intense) than any previous Star Wars movie since ESB. It wasn't fluffy bunnies. LOL

Fatherless One, my favorite Harry Potter is the Prisoner of Azkaban, by a LONG shot. It's arguably the darkest movie of them all, though HBP would be a close second considering.

But yes. Agreed. Rogue One should be closer to ESB than any movie since. ...even push it a bit over. Variety is the spice of life.

The saving bit though, is I'll trust Mik's take that the tone of the movie seems to still be intact.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:09 am 

And just because we are here, there is something very different between "dark" and "gravid." Folks take these characters seriously and want to identify further with them. Anything serious (gravid) is going to incidentally venture into what we call "dark."

Does that make sense?! Tim Burton tries hard to be dark sometimes and fails because the actual problems are still too light.

SERIOUS is the key.

One purely stupid move with Lord of the Rings Return of the King was turning Sauron's eye into a huge damn blimp - as if to over-explain things. What a stupid move. It made comical what is supposed to be pretty daunting. In the book it is more like Blair Witch where we never see Sauron but Frodo starts seeing the eye in his head as he gets closer and closer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:08 am 

Agreed on Tim Burton. His two Batman movies...LOL

But we (my wife and I) do love Sleepy Hollow. It's a mainstay in our Halloween night movie selection, along with Prisoner of Azkaban.
...but we start the Charlie Brown's Halloween and Hotel Transylvania for the kiddos. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:43 am 

I enjoyed Sleepy Hollow until it started to end - then it felt a little funny like, "if it weren't for you meddling kids, etc." A little bit - at least to me.

That dude has a hard time knowing how to end a flick!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:01 pm 

This might help you sleep better, DJ. :)

http://time.com/4381997/star-wars-rogue-one-crawl/

And there is this new photo gallery. The Deathtroopers are growing on me - cool pics of Stormtroopers standing in the shallows of an ocean.

http://www.ew.com/gallery/rogue-one-fir ... ive-images

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:29 pm 
Random avatar

Trying to not get too high of hopes with the new film, but I'm still convinced that it will be superior to ep7. The death troopers(if that's really what they're to be called) do look more menacing than any other new costume. Nice seeing the hat tip to Vader with the buckle and the shape in the cod armor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:12 am 

craigjohn wrote:
This might help you sleep better, DJ. :)

http://time.com/4381997/star-wars-rogue-one-crawl/

And there is this new photo gallery. The Deathtroopers are growing on me - cool pics of Stormtroopers standing in the shallows of an ocean.

http://www.ew.com/gallery/rogue-one-fir ... ive-images

Thanks, Craig! That link seems like good news. Gettin' some gravity back if done well! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:51 am 

Idk... Rogue One sets look like they're from an episode of Lost. And I thought J.J. Abrams wasn't working on this one! No Vader pics have surfaced (other than that poster)?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:46 pm 

It kinda sounds like Vader isn't as involved in the movie as people are hoping for.

Doesn't look like JJ is involved with this movie at all. Color me rather shocked. :eek

Profile E-mail