It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Removing dome mount from eFx ANH PCR helmet
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:48 am 

The eFx ANH PCR helmet uses a ring mount design similar to that used in the eFx Limited/Legend to hold the mask and dome together in a single position. A mask ring fits within a dome ring with embedded magnets within both mask and dome used to help hold it in place.

Unfortunately, this prevents someone from changing to a different dome positioning without some modification. The original ANH used 3 tabs that snapped the mask and dome together (which often detached or were not centered in the same place). To recreate some of the various dome positionings seen in ANH, you need the freedom to rotate the top of the mask along the inside top of the dome to various positions.

Fortunately, this is easily accomplished with this helmet by removing the dome ring, which is held in place by just 2 small screws. Just remove the screws with a small Phillips screwdriver, and the dome ring comes right off. These screws only hold the dome ring onto the dome; they do not extend into the dome. So it doesn't impact the integrity of the attachment of the two left and right halves of the dome itself. When reinstalling the dome ring, do not reinstall the screws with any more force than slightly hand-tight as it would be very easy to strip the plastic threads.

Magnets are not in the dome ring, they are elsewhere embedded within the dome. So when you put the mask and dome together even without the dome ring, it will still snap to the same location. But you will have more freedom to rotate and offset in various directions, and the magnets will still generally hold it in place when moved to a slightly different position. This is fine for display, but for wearing, you'd want something more substantial to safely hold it in place.

In my opinion the widows peak is too close to the front of the nosebridge with the default dome positioning. Here I've added some foam padding (intentionally in a visible location to show it here) at the front behind the widows peak to increase this offset.

Which I think yields a better, more accurate look from multiple viewpoints:

And you can reposition the dome to the less-than-most-impressive positions that don't look very good but sometimes you'll spot on-screen:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Removing dome mount from eFx ANH PCR helmet
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:59 am 
Random avatar

Love the positioning man! Can't recall the last one( is that inside the tie fighter?)but it's got the hair swept back look to it like the dome is about to fly off...
I'm on the edge of ordering one of the bad boys....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:22 am 

I'd recommend it. Prices will come down after wider release (which I've read will be August 1st, 2016), but it's not marked up too much on baitme.com at $325. They say free shipping over $50, but on this one they tacked on a $10 shipping surcharge. Not bad for the size and weight of the box. And no taxes to most U.S. states. Ships UPS ground with signature required.

The Special Edition isn't available yet, if you would prefer that version instead. It would have a more weathered look and include the Gino added-on C-Scar scribble.

Yeah the much hated TIE fighter dome position was what I was going for in that 3rd picture. The 2nd picture was the "This will be a day long remembered" and "They've just made their jump out of hyperspace" scenes. The 1st picture was just random. Just going by memory; didn't bother checking the movie screenshots, in which case to get it exactly the same would require matching the camera distance and angle plus orienting the dome the same.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:42 am 
Random avatar

Good to know!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:47 pm 

Nice!! now that I'm seeing this I'm a bit more interested in this helmet. But I'm just having a hard time supporting EFX at the moment.

Definitely a great touch!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:03 pm 

Nice. ...and I'm partial to that bottom right (Hello, I'm surprised) pic. :)

I'm with Juan; I'm not really not a fan of EFX's awful customer service, and their message board rep's rather unsavory and flavorful commentary toward's others and other Vader lids. I'm going to do my best NOT to (directly) line their pockets with my money. I'd rather buy second hand, maybe when someone decides to sell theirs. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:48 pm 

I'm thrilled that Lucasfilm/Disney after almost 40 years finally allowed the production of an affordable, accurate ANH Vader helmet. It's something that I've wanted for 40 years lol. But I do understand the reluctance to buy from eFx given their track record on unfulfilled pre-orders and the arrogance of its artistic director. That eFx was chosen to manufacturer it was just a Lucasfilm business decision, given the prior eFx experience with the Limited/Legend and their production liaisons in China. I rationalize buying it less as an expression of support of eFx and more as an expression of support for Disney in allowing it to be produced.

But I do admit the day after I got it I was thinking a lot how this mass produced plastic-parted Vader helmet, while it looked good, lacked something intangible. A soul. There was no sense of legacy of what it took to achieve this accuracy, the expertise to create it, the research to appreciate and recognize authenticity, and the risks of seeking to find it. The blueprints of the Rick Baker molds were provided, a given. And this helmet is a fast-tracked reproduction of it, with many details lost or modified in the translation. Those things an authentic cast would retain.

So removing the dome ring is a first step to revert the eFx modification to this helmet to allow it freedom of adjustability like the original, and to not be locked into Voldemort's vision and translation of how it should look.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:23 am 

Ahhhh-hahahaha. "He who should not be named"...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:42 am 

banthapoodoo wrote:
The eFx ANH PCR helmet uses a ring mount design similar to that used in the eFx Limited/Legend to hold the mask and dome together in a single position. A mask ring fits within a dome ring with embedded magnets within both mask and dome used to help hold it in place.

Magnets are not in the dome ring, they are elsewhere embedded within the dome. So when you put the mask and dome together even without the dome ring, it will still snap to the same location. But you will have more freedom to rotate and offset in various directions, and the magnets will still generally hold it in place when moved to a slightly different position. This is fine for display, but for wearing, you'd want something more substantial to safely hold it in place.

FYI there are 2 magnets, one in the mask and one in the dome. The one in the mask is about 1 inch above the nose bridge. The one in the dome is about one inch above the widows peak.

So if you remove the dome ring, be sure to secure any padding in that area first before reattaching mask and dome. Though I think I smashed the mask and dome together more when the dome ring was installed. Once the mask is in dome ring, the magnets snap in place rather forcefully at the front.

This product scratches rather easily, much like the PCR Stormtrooper did, so be careful with it. Not sure what to use to clean it. Probably microfiber cloth and NOVUS 1 spray (will test on the inside first).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:55 am 

Great write up :thumbsup

I wonder if this could be converted into an ESB?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:47 am 

Thanks! If I understand the differences in shape, there would be mostly trimming and sanding involved in converting ANH to ESB for both mask and dome.

The dome conversion may work if just confined to sanding down the return edge and widows peak and adding material to widen the center strip. Though the dome flanges might flare more than one would like to see in a ESB and even be exaggerated by sanding the inside of the return edge.

The mask could be a challenge to set back any of the cheek or eye surfaces since there's only 1mm maybe 2mm of thickness to work with. And if you wanted to pair the mask with a different dome it would need to be a full sized one to match the scale.

I've already cross-pollenated the eFx PCR with the DPDLX swapping the mask and dome in both. The scale is right. The look... well I'll post pics in the licensed helmet thread soon! And the weight of the DPDLX Dome on top of the thin plastic PCR mask almost felt like it was going to crush it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:25 pm 

banthapoodoo wrote:
The dome conversion may work if just confined to sanding down the return edge and widows peak and adding material to widen the center strip.

Adding material to the center strip?On what areas is this required?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:55 am 

kroenen77 wrote:
banthapoodoo wrote:
The dome conversion may work if just confined to sanding down the return edge and widows peak and adding material to widen the center strip.

It has been my impression that the center strip became slightly wider progressing from ANH to ESB to ROTJ. You're right to question the validity of my impression. Comparisons of screen captures from similar viewpoints would be a good way to check.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Guys, please keep the personal jabs at a minimum.

kroenen77 wrote:
banthapoodoo wrote:

That started with the ESB. The added filler up the front of the dome mount center strip for whatever reason - probably to try to remove some of the curve seen on the ANH center strip - but it resulted in an uneven shape where the added material dipped a little in the middle when looking at the dome from the side. For RotJ they added more filler while covering the widows peak dimple seen on the ESB and fixed the unevenness up the front. Beyond the front part of the strip I don't think they did much do the rest of the dome strip at the top or rear. Could be mistaken on that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:12 pm 

No Humor Man wrote:
Guys, please keep the personal jabs at a minimum.

kroenen77 wrote:
banthapoodoo wrote:

That started with the ESB. The added filler up the front of the dome mount center strip for whatever reason - probably to try to remove some of the curve seen on the ANH center strip - but it resulted in an uneven shape where the added material dipped a little in the middle when looking at the dome from the side. For RotJ they added more filler while covering the widows peak dimple seen on the ESB and fixed the unevenness up the front. Beyond the front part of the strip I don't think they did much do the rest of the dome strip at the top or rear. Could be mistaken on that.

Yes that with the front I know.But it would be interesting to know where the added material on the sides of the centerstrip.For ROTJ they added more I would say...and it looks more same on both side of the strip.But on the ESB it looks like they added more material on the right side(when you look on the helmet from the front).It would be great to see good pics of the ESB centerstrip.

I don´t think what a herohelmet and what not...but from the left side this stripe looks very sharp like ANH:

Here also...but has the facemask a complete black nose?

But here you see something on the right side...it can be added material or they sanded it?

Profile E-mail