It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: My "Vader Project"
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:20 pm 

Over the past several weeks I've been working towards acquiring a few Vader pieces. With this, I'm going to be working on a personal photography project I titled "Project Vader" - not to be confused with "The Vader Project". :conf

https://www.facebook.com/The-Vader-Proj ... 68/?ref=ts

https://www.flickr.com/photos/starwarsb ... 262862719/

At one time I was thinking "Project DV", but that could get dyslexically confusing with "Project VD". :eek

So "Project Vader" it is. Simple and easy.

The intention of the project is to further develop my commercial photography and product lighting ability - and the Vader helmet, as we've seen in the movies, can be very difficult to capture.

Within the project, I'm hoping to do a photographic study/comparison of Vader's helmet before (RAW casting) and after (painted/finished). This will also create a little personal archive and wall art for myself. However, based on certain agreements within the Vader Helmet community I won't be allowed to publicly show everything I photograph. I will actually need to get permission to show certain images, which I'm fine with - I don't want to overstep any agreements.

The secondary reason I'm choosing to do this, and it's a biggie. Tax Deductions. AKA My wife won't kill me with all these purchases. :lol ...In fact, the purchases become highly validated. :thumbsup

....best of all, the first of element of my project arrives this afternoon.

Gotta thank The Prop Den and a few excellent members/helmet owners (you know who you are) for making this happen. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: My "Vader Project"
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:46 pm 

So the Authentic Vader Casting photography project has taken on a bit of an exciting turn.

After popping a few sample photos with the Sony a7rII and a Leica 50mm Summicron, the resolving power of this combo is ridiculous, and being inspired by the artfully crafted lines and details of these helmets/faceplates, I thought it would be interesting to take the photos and create an equally artfully designed visual reference guide worthy of Brian Muir's sculpture.

I also plan to turn my Zeiss 100mm F/2 Makro Planar on to these pieces. The Z100MP and the Sony a7rII create a medium format quality camera set up.

The first four helmets I'd love to document are the TM ANH, TM ESB, SL ANH, and if I can find one, a TD ANH faceplate. I suspect this project could take a few years, but I may be off to pretty good start in 2016 - as I may acquire three of the first four. :)

***Please note due to buyers agreements with these helmets, I won't be able release all of the final photos.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: My "Vader Project"
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:29 am 

Just finished shooting raw casting of the TM ESB and the TM ANH Faceplate. This is looking pretty cool - as it should. The lines of Brian Muir's sculpt allow for so many wonderful camera angles.

Can't wait to get my new/used dome for the TM ANH faceplate to finish that set.

Profile E-mail