It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: The TM ANH facemask and the C-scar.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Lambotour wrote:
No Humor Man wrote:
As it stands now there has been nothing shown that has convinced me that the RB mold was made prior to the repaint.

And do you still believe, after the date timeline discussion, that the UK mold came before the repaint?

I don't know. Much suggests it came way after at the pre-production time of ESB and some things suggest it may be before the RB mold. The limited timeline presented where it couldn't have been molded, puts it rather close to the RB mold if it was molded prior to the repaint... it could have been... but it might not have been. I'm not basing this solely off the TM, as much as I'm basing it off what I've been told and seen is present on the ESB stunt helmet, and other UK casts that haven't been publicly shown - though, of course, what I know of those are what others have said and not something I've seen myself, so maybe I should disregard those for the time being. If it turns out it was molded during ESB pre-production, then I'll gladly revise my thinking. It just doesn't explain what I'm seeing regarding UK mold casts and casts from the RB mold. So until something conclusive is presented, I'll stick with what I think is correct, based on what I see.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:18 pm 

Ok.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:05 am 

Excellent discoveries lads. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:40 pm 

I have been taking lots of pictures of my DPDLX from different angles and lighting. Under some conditions, especially using multiple light sources from oblique angles, I can see smudges in the locations along the bottom of the mask where I most typically pick up and handle it. It shows as contrasting blobs of black and gray. And this is on a painted surface that has cured for decades. So I can see how more significant smudges could be created on the original from even casual handling on a surface that was more recently painted or touched up. This is less about the C-Scar and more general, based on observation, that this is how such visible features can be created.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:07 am 

Show me a closeup of the original TM mask with the original C-scar, not the version that we see on TM mask copies. You can say it's there and yes I have an image of it albeit a lower resolution one, but I'd like to really see a good clear image of it before JRX got his hands on it, because it isn't really clear what JRX did or did not do to that area. Built it up? Removed material? And yes, there was HD reference at that time of the C-scar it is just that JRX didn't seem to have it, or wasn't given any, otherwise he would not have touched that area at all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:35 am 

No Humor Man wrote:
Midnight Trooper wrote:
The shape that is correct to the RB mold is shown below on the original "Sithlord helmet" casting.
As I recall this was reluctantly shown late in the debate for fear of people faking the detail. As much as I dont agree with Thomas I have never slammed his original casting. I think it is a very good casting and appears to reflect all the correct RB mold features. The castings he had made that I have seen pictures of is a different story...

I find it funny that in every other picture of a casting from original or the actual screen used helmet being compared to a screen capture, they are ALWAYS sharper and more detailed than the capture - just think about every Stormtrooper or Fett or Scout or whatever the heck original prop or casting off one shows compared to screen captures - yet I am told to believe that a softer detailed SL or RB mold cast is EXACTLY the same as those sharp details seen in the screen capture. Seriously... what's with the backwards logic with this? The RB mold casts are not indicative of how the helmet looked on screen. The softness in the details proves that beyond any doubt. Even sharpening the pictures in photoshop will not generate the look as seen in the capture. It just does not make sense to me.

Honestly, what is SOFT about the detail in these images? Can you show me?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:00 am 

When I posted proof of the original paint detail on the RIGHT CHEEK of the SL ANH this is what you said:

Post subject: Re: Finally have a finished SL ANH :D
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:34 am
Site Admin

Mickxc wrote:
Quote:
this circle/ring doesn't appear on the TM face casting. Any idea why?

Quote:
Yes, it is really strange to me that it doesn't have that feature, when it has so many other correct leftovers from the screen used ANH. It's even more strange since the surface is rough and not smooth and there are no signs of the brush marks that should be on that cheek, so my only guess would be that either work was done on a source it was molded from or work was done on the cast - work that wasn't removed when the paint was stripped and filler resin removed. That is certainly one of the areas where the SL cast trumps the TM completely, by having the actual brush marks and that circular mark. What's interesting with the SL is that you see the brush marks and all these Tantive scene details, but you also see the granularity of the repaint all over those details, softening them. At least that's my interpretation of what I'm seeing.

Would still be interesting to see a fully untouched UK mold cast - from that original first mold made of the screen used ANH. THAT would pretty much be my dream cast.

What is softened?

Soft?

Soft?

Soft?

Soft?

Brush strokes rear of the right temple....soft?

Soft?

Soft?

Right side of the mouth triangle.....soft????

Soft? Remember the rabbit ear detail I resolved and you attempted to discount?

Soft?

Lower left eyelid....soft?

There isn't any photograph from the set or of the original helmet that can show that kind of detail up close at that resolution, so OF COURSE you will see more bumps in my photos because I'm using a digital camera up close and I'm using oblique light angles to bring OUT the detail on these surfaces.

Honestly if you still think the SL ANH is this cleaned up version by Rick Baker, then there is just no arguing with you. Show me the TM mask with this kind of detail. Show me any mask out there with this kind of paint detail.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:03 am 

The SL ANH displays the original detail of the original ANH mask NOT before it was repainted but rather exactly as we see it on the Tantive IV, of which I use for much of the reference in my previous post. And apart from that, I use photo reference of the original mask before it was molded at Don Post studios. Before it was repainted.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:42 am 
Site Admin

The details you are showing are still visible on the found repainted helmet, so what do you think you are trying to prove with this? And your own images show the different direction repaint brushstrokes too... so honestly... if you only concentrate on things we know is still there and not the things that are missing, then what's the point in discussing this further. I find it interesting how those details are categorically ignored. Even when they are clearly visible in the images.

And if your SL is exact to the screen used ANH before the repaint, then how can you claim your TD is the same?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

Bloody hell, are you guys still discussing the SL/TM C Scars after all these years :lol

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

Lambotour wrote:

Is the TM the best helmet ever? Of course not. It's one of the better helmets out there, but there are always going to be better helmets that come along. It was a special helmet back 8 years ago or how ever long it's been and we all learned a lot from it. It was just a shame to see it attacked so much back then. It's not like TM owners were posting pics of it and being elitist trying to show anyone up that didn't have one, but the vader community is filled with scum and villainy and scoundrels. It is what it was.

Totally agree. Very special, not only for the face mask but for the dome (2nd run etc). There was and is simply nothing around on offer, even 10 years later for ESB. The TM defined many aspects. Not the best, but still one of them. The SL, TD, VP, EFX, and others also contain imperfections.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:07 pm 
Random avatar

Curious to know what kind of helmets is out there that are so much better than a good TM cast.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:46 am 

Darthvaderv wrote:
Lambotour wrote:

Is the TM the best helmet ever? Of course not. It's one of the better helmets out there, but there are always going to be better helmets that come along. It was a special helmet back 8 years ago or how ever long it's been and we all learned a lot from it. It was just a shame to see it attacked so much back then. It's not like TM owners were posting pics of it and being elitist trying to show anyone up that didn't have one, but the vader community is filled with scum and villainy and scoundrels. It is what it was.

Totally agree. Very special, not only for the face mask but for the dome (2nd run etc). There was and is simply nothing around on offer, even 10 years later for ESB. The TM defined many aspects. Not the best, but still one of them. The SL, TD, VP, EFX, and others also contain imperfections.

Hi Paul, (Lambotour, Thomas, Carsten, JRX, Tom, sorry if I've missed some old friends).

Great to see all these familiar faces.

I must admit I'm also surprised the "my Vader helmet is more accurate than yours" is still going strong even after all these years.

I'm very happy to suggest the SL IS the most authentic ANH mask and helmet, and the TM is the best ESB.

I am a TM owner and have no issue with accepting the SL as THE best fan owned ANH.

TM and SL owners are amongst some of the luckiest Vader helmet owners on the planet, and a good and decent bunch of fellows to know.

It's been a very very tough few years for me including a failed marriage, which is why I dropped off the planet.

But it's good to be alive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

:pale Sorry to hear that Alan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi mate. Sorry to hear about the rough times. Hope things are going okay now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next