It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: The TM ANH facemask and the C-scar.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:43 am 

Perfectly logical, I like it!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:08 am 

Exactly, it is a physical lifting of a layer of paint from that area, but not just because of a thumb pressing against it. I've seen enough masks to know that when you have a curved surface like that with paint on it, and the paint dries and lifts a bit from the curved surface, that area will flake off first if under stress. So it wasn't just the fingers going against it but going against a curved surface where the paint would be more likely to come off or flake. But nice association of the thumb and the shape of the flaking but I think it is also just because of the shape of the cheek at that point....if you look carefully at the curvature of that surface, the scar follows it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:06 am 

SithLord wrote:
Exactly, it is a physical lifting of a layer of paint from that area, but not just because of a thumb pressing against it. I've seen enough masks to know that when you have a curved surface like that with paint on it, and the paint dries and lifts a bit from the curved surface, that area will flake off first if under stress. So it wasn't just the fingers going against it but going against a curved surface where the paint would be more likely to come off or flake. But nice association of the thumb and the shape of the flaking but I think it is also just because of the shape of the cheek at that point....if you look carefully at the curvature of that surface, the scar follows it.

In my experience, paint flaking will leave remnants and evidence on other areas following the flaking, if you follow what I'm saying. There is no evidence of any extending flaking from the C scar. It's mainly a scratch or indentation in that specific area. There are other areas like the eyebrows and the mouth wall where flaking does occur and based on my theory it's consistent with that guy's hand and that ring scraping across those areas. You can see flaking in those areas for sure, but not on the C scar itself. Plus you have the tiny bits of buildup along the curve, which wouldn't be there under flaking. There is also some paint chipping going on all over the faceplate, but that's not the same as flaking. I've also owned my share of helmets around 25 + or so at one point and I used to work in construction and did painting for a while, so I'm well aware of what paint flaking is and what can cause it and the C scar isn't a product of flaking, in my opinion based on actual experience. However, like I said, it's just my opinion and I try to back up what I say with whatever evidence I can show. It doesn't matter either way, I'm not going to debate now HOW the C scar came about. All I wanted to do was show that it certainly was not "painted" on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:43 am 

Fair enough and I agree it isn't painted on. It could be a scratch then, but I'm not sure a finger or fingernail would make that kind of scratch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:08 am 

So in other words, the C-Scar was not painted on. It was unpainted on!

That's a certainly a plausible explanation. The hows, whys, and whens of its origination could be endlessly speculated, discussed, and debated (a common theme in the Star Wars saga).

I wasn't proposing a different theory to promote it as the right one. It was to offer a new one hoping to get feedback from those who have studied it longer than I have. And I appreciate that you did. Thanks for indulging me gentlemen.

I don't suppose anyone could lift Brian's thumbprint from a restaurant drinking glass? :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:49 pm 

It's in the nose... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:18 am 

SithLord wrote:
Fair enough and I agree it isn't painted on. It could be a scratch then, but I'm not sure a finger or fingernail would make that kind of scratch.

Fiberglass pulled a bit early could still be vulnerable to structural changes.

Paint not fully cured can be vulnerable to even gentle fingerprints.

Just a thought.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:05 am 
Random avatar

Personally I think Mac is right. It really does resemble fiberglass being pulled out too soon, or the layers separating between coats, the helmet I have has the same issue. When I get time i'll take some pics.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:52 am 
Site Admin

Repeated handling over the duration of the filming and several times during the day will slowly affect the touched areas if you keep touching the same area over and over and over again.

Everyone knows that even handling gloss painted objects just a few times can dull the paint but can also heat it up a little, so it shifts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:54 am 

What's about the story that the left tube and cheek got damaged while the lightsaber fight at the death star scene?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:52 pm 

In Prowse's autobiography he recounts how he pushed Alec down the corridor instead of into a nearby wall causing Alec to fall in a heap. But Prowse mentioned nothing about any other accidents (including not the part about his helmet toppling off). Maybe there's an outtake video somewhere showing the mask getting hit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:02 pm 

The scratchmarks inside the nose are should also been a result of this lightsaber fail.
You can see those marks on the "Tantive" Vader helmet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:24 pm 

Forgive the question, it's been a long time since I went through this thread.

Has the c-scar ever been shown on the original TM?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:35 pm 
Random avatar

Yes it has

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:03 pm 

Picture please?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next