It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: TD ANH Vader Mask: Any closer to the source?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:06 am 

No Humor Man wrote:
Then how do you guys account for details that are missing? Instead of focusing on what IS there, how about addressing those instead?

Well the same can be said about the TM. Explain why details seen on RB mold and the original are not on the TM? You're making excuses about silicone and resin and sharpness etc to try and explain away the TM's lack of certain details, while totally ignoring that they are there on RB mold casts and the original. You can't have it both ways my friend. I don't think it's fair to use the TM anyway, because it was altered way before any paint was put on it.

Also, I never said the RB mold was made before the UK mold, I said it was made prior to the repaint. And honestly we are arguing something we don't know for sure and that is to what extent the original was repainted. We are also possibly comparing tour ANH helmets to what we believe to be the original. No one knows the exact timeline. We try to make educated guesses, but it's just speculation on our part.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:14 am 
Random avatar

NHM: What say we settle this on the runway... Han-Solo?
Lambotour: Are you challenging Me to a walk-off?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Lambotour wrote:
No Humor Man wrote:
Then how do you guys account for details that are missing? Instead of focusing on what IS there, how about addressing those instead?

Well the same can be said about the TM. Explain why details seen on RB mold and the original are not on the TM? You're making excuses about silicone and resin and sharpness etc to try and explain away the TM's lack of certain details, while totally ignoring that they are there on RB mold casts and the original. You can't have it both ways my friend. I don't think it's fair to use the TM anyway, because it was altered way before any paint was put on it.

I'm not making excuses. We all know the TM is reworked and everyone who has molded and cast stuff knows that two people molding the same thing and making casts will not always generate the same result. That's not excuses, those are valid arguments. And since we don't know the extent the TM was sanded - some areas just a little and others more extensively, I guess I can agree with you that the TM is probably not the best piece to compare with, but the SL and RB Mold casts should supposedly have all details of the original straight out of the mold if they were from the pre-repainted helmet and they just don't.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:12 am 
Random avatar

No Humor Man wrote:
Lambotour wrote:
No Humor Man wrote:

I'm not making excuses. We all know the TM is reworked and everyone who has molded and cast stuff knows that two people molding the same thing and making casts will not always generate the same result. That's not excuses, those are valid arguments. And since we don't know the extent the TM was sanded - some areas just a little and others more extensively, I guess I can agree with you that the TM is probably not the best piece to compare with, but the SL and RB Mold casts should supposedly have all details of the original straight out of the mold if they were from the pre-repainted helmet and they just don't.

Couldn't agree more :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:46 am 

No Humor Man wrote:
Lambotour wrote:
No Humor Man wrote:

Do you have a pic of an untouched cast pulled from the 1st or 2nd UK mold where it shows the details you are talking about that are not on the SL or RB mold casts?

And I don't follow you. You make an argument that two separate pulls from two people from the same mold will produce different results, but yet you don't seem to apply that same logic to the possibility that that is what occurred with casts pulled from the RB mold. You are making an argument, yet failing to see that that could be the reason there are details missing from the casts, as you believe.. I will emphasize that none of us knows to what extent the original was repainted and exactly when that happened. You also can't say with 100% certainty that photos you believe are of the original, aren't possibly of an actual tour helmet. Remember, you almost had yourself convinced the WD pic was that of the original ANH based on what you believe were details matching on the lens, if I remember correctly. Or was that someone else?

Either way, I'm not going to debate or argue about this. There are way too many unknowns about the repaint timeline and who molded what and when that leaves too many unanswered questions that I don't care to get into again. We can all believe what we want to believe and let it be. I'll just watch from the sidelines. :cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

No, I'm saying that two people molding the same thing - 2 molds - and making casts - 2 casts - may not turn out the same. But you make an excellent point - even the same guy with the same mold can make different looking casts - size, shape, details being different. You know this. You've seen this firsthand. And what I have seen from the RB mold casts they are fairly consistent in the things they are missing. Things the repainted helmet is also missing. I find it hard to believe that that is a coincidence.

I thought it was a possibility that the Warwick Davis picture showed the ANH turned ESB. There was nothing conclusive about it, but it was a possibility that I was interested in exploring. And seeing as that helmet was the one seen at the end of RotJ and is now residing in Planet Hollywood in Florida, it was a theory that could possibly be tested with better pictures or someone being allowed to view it in person and handle it to check if the theory holds water. Before this reveal that the ANH is still ANH, that helmet was, in my view, the best likely candidate for what happened to the screen used ANH. I didn't see anyone try to narrow it down where the original went if it was turned ESB and how it looked, so I saw a possible match and presented my findings. I didn't conclude anything regarding that helmet being the screen used ANH, I presented the theory that it could be.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:24 pm 
Random avatar

Yep, folks..... We got a walk-off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

I may be dead wrong, but I'll stick to it until I realize I am or not.

I guess time may tell if we ever get more detailed pictures and information about the screen used ANH helmet as it appears today.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:18 am 

Mickxc wrote:

It's called a "Tactical Pause". :cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:40 am 
Random avatar

Lambotour wrote:
Mickxc wrote:

It's called a "Tactical Pause". :cheers

"Walk off" is a quote from Zoolander.
RBJ where are you with your cool quote posters?... Comon- Show us Magnum

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6