It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Wanna see where many Star Wars props (screen used) ends?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:29 pm 

Zuka Zamamee wrote:
There was a decent (but small) side view of the mask at the very beginning of that video which I'd love to see captured, if anyone is up to it?

As far as how it got out of LFL hands, I heard a story from a very reliable source years ago (which I once told and some dismissed) that the entire suit was stolen from KE by a certain individual the very day that KE was to return it to LFL. I'll skip the details, but I've always believed it. About a decade later when the individual died, his widow sold it supposedly very cheap.

Possibly parts of it Steve, but not the entire suit considering the original chest armor, belt and buckle are seen and used in ESB.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:54 pm 

Thanks, Carsten!!!!!

Okay, "darthjones" has his original account back. I posted earlier here about how I had been gone for so long...

until I saw Carsten's screencap post on facebook today!!!!!

Gotta follow this one. Wonderful wonderful stuff. Great collection all around.

Just wondering if they have other photos of it of course. I'm sure twelve of you are already on that. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:05 pm 

I would love to know the provenance on these ANH pieces from a legal perspective. Did these leave production hands and arrive in private hands legally and if not, does Lucasfilm or Berman's or Elstree or another entity have standing to try to retrieve them?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:18 pm 

I would be surprised if there was much of a legal challenge to this guy having the piece. If indeed it was stolen from KE then that would be the vulnerability. However, if it were NOT stolen then this mask would most likely have been actually converted and changed like we feared.

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:26 pm 

HALLELUJAH!! man this is incredible news. so glad that it was finally found. of coarse IF it is the real deal.
but if the experts say it is then i have to follow their lead. this is killah :toothy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:56 pm 

Wow this is very big news indeed! well I never thought this mask would surface.

Thank goodness the original repaint wasn't as drastic as it could have been, or the surviving paint chips and details could have gone forever.

It would be fascinating to know the path this mask took to get where it is. Clearly it was worn by Kermit Eller after filming, was then returned to Lucasfilm, repainted and photographed for more publicity stills, then travelled to Elstree where it was photographed on that grey carpet next to the Indy whip, in what 1981?? I'd love to know how it fell into private hands after that point. Wasn't there a story that Norman Harrison of Norank Engineering and previous owner of Elstree Props owned this mask? Could he have sold it to the current owner? if so how was he able to keep it?

It's very nice that this discovery has been made here on the Prop Den, thanks Nairod and well done on the comps Pete!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:09 pm 

If that is the case then the eyes were clear and the red is the color of Prowse!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:44 pm 

Wish I could get it clearer and sharper without going down in size, but anyway...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:00 am 

The eyes look to be made of the same material as the ESB stunt which is very clear when there is no helmet on and takes on the colors around the mask- when the light behind is gone it darkens. If that is the case it would make perfect sense why the colors seem different.

Edit: Just a quick phone comp illustrating the flash showing the lenses to be clear-ish and the no flash looking much closer to what we usually see. Also referring to the Elstree shot mainly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:59 am 

INCREDIBLE!! I hope we get to see more of this unbelievable find.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:39 am 

gonk27 wrote:
Wow this is very big news indeed! well I never thought this mask would surface.

Thank goodness the original repaint wasn't as drastic as it could have been, or the surviving paint chips and details could have gone forever.

It would be fascinating to know the path this mask took to get where it is. Clearly it was worn by Kermit Eller after filming, was then returned to Lucasfilm, repainted and photographed for more publicity stills, then travelled to Elstree where it was photographed on that grey carpet next to the Indy whip, in what 1981?? I'd love to know how it fell into private hands after that point. Wasn't there a story that Norman Harrison of Norank Engineering and previous owner of Elstree Props owned this mask? Could he have sold it to the current owner? if so how was he able to keep it?

It's very nice that this discovery has been made here on the Prop Den, thanks Nairod and well done on the comps Pete!

No Norman to my knowledge never had "owned" this mask. He might have seen it but I knew his son Paul for a while and everything indicated to me that it was just a tall tale. The stories kept changing and there was no visual proof of that. The question is how did it go from that photo with the Indy whip to France? I have a feeling we will find out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:40 am 

The eyes are not the same as the ESB stunt...not the same color...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:45 am 

darthjones wrote:
I would be surprised if there was much of a legal challenge to this guy having the piece. If indeed it was stolen from KE then that would be the vulnerability. However, if it were NOT stolen then this mask would most likely have been actually converted and changed like we feared.

Just my 2 cents.

The simple matter is that if it was discarded then there's no problem with him having it. Just like the Death Star from ANH....LFL I'm sure was aware for quite some time he had it. But the whole issue of the theft of the suit, there's a lot around that still in question because if there was a theft, why do we see it at Elstree in 1981 (?). That's long after the suit was supposed to have been returned to LFL. The theft idea doesn't make sense because we wouldn't then even see it at Elstree. I think it was there and Mr. Girod knew the people there and was able to acquire it around that time. And if the suit was in whole or in part stolen then yes LFL could have retrieved the components at any time.

We still haven't even gotten to the topic of the full head casting. Gosh! So much to cover! LOLs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:48 am 

On a personal note I just want to say that the past year has been one of the most difficult in my life and to be able to come back here and share in this discovery and talk about it, well, it is a great feeling and just what the doctor ordered :). And that most of you guys are still here makes it even better. Let's do our best to find out as much as we can about this great discovery.

Cheers!

Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:01 am 
Site Admin

SithLord wrote:
On a personal note I just want to say that the past year has been one of the most difficult in my life and to be able to come back here and share in this discovery and talk about it, well, it is a great feeling and just what the doctor ordered :). And that most of you guys are still here makes it even better.

Looks like most of the old gang are here. Welcome back to the madness, everyone! :cheers

SithLord wrote:
Let's do our best to find out as much as we can about this great discovery.

Hear hear!

The video and screen grabs are a great starting point for some extensive and thorough research of - what appears to be - a (if not THE) crown jewel of SW prop collecting! :thumbsup

So, what's with the dome in the backgound? Any ideas?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next