It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: My Rubies Vader mod (ROTJ)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:59 am 

banthapoodoo wrote:
It's hard to believe there's a Rubies Supreme behind these fine mods!

For the gray part of the nose at the left and right corners you may want to have a slight curve in the gray paint at those locations. That's what I perceive at least looking at movie screenshots.

Hello,

If you are referring to both sides of the nose bridge, i have already added the slight curve.

Will post clearer close up pics soon.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Rommel

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:48 pm 

Actually I was referring to the gray paint inside the nose. To my eye it looks a bit too square. From many screenshots for ESB and ROTJ the gray paint isn't level. Particularly on the lower corners of the nose. The paint starts a bit further back and is curved or slanted a bit. Here's a few pics from another thread (thanks Mac) that hopefully depicts it better than I'm describing it :conf

Of course, there was some variation from helmet to helmet, and counterexamples where the gray paint inside the nose is more level and more completely filled in. It's probably one of those micro-details where I probably just prefer the more curved / slanted look. And since the original Rubies snap-in silver nose was so ugly and inaccurate and so.... symmetric, I'd prefer a look which bears no resemblance to it :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:12 am 
Site Admin

Already looking tons better with the gunmetal paint. Can't wait to see better pictures of it. All in all... work well done.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:48 am 

banthapoodoo wrote:
Actually I was referring to the gray paint inside the nose. To my eye it looks a bit too square. From many screenshots for ESB and ROTJ the gray paint isn't level. Particularly on the lower corners of the nose. The paint starts a bit further back and is curved or slanted a bit. Here's a few pics from another thread (thanks Mac) that hopefully depicts it better than I'm describing it :conf

Of course, there was some variation from helmet to helmet, and counterexamples where the gray paint inside the nose is more level and more completely filled in. It's probably one of those micro-details where I probably just prefer the more curved / slanted look. And since the original Rubies snap-in silver nose was so ugly and inaccurate and so.... symmetric, I'd prefer a look which bears no resemblance to it :wink:

Oh,,,ok..i see what you mean now.....wow your attention to those details are amazing...will try to do that...but probably after the release of TFA, will be wearing it for an occasion on the 19th here...:)..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:56 am 

some clearer pics with the armor..comments/suggestions highly welcomed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:37 am 
Site Admin

I can not believe that that is a Rubies. That's looking awesome! :wtf :cheers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:56 am 

No Humor Man wrote:
I can not believe that that is a Rubies. That's looking awesome! :wtf :cheers

Thanks Bro. :lol , still has lots of room for improvement ( which i'll get around to one day..hehe) but will do for now, rushing to finish the shoulder bells in time for premier of TFA, the other parts as well. looking forward to the day i present my Vader for approval to the local 501st. ( patience...patience... :wink: )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:33 am 

Sharing some pics from a TFA Fan Screening, costume not yet accurate, but enough to be noticed by local 501st, have been invited to join pending upgrade of some parts to meet the standards (gloves and under-suit primarily and some other parts)....woohoo..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

That's awesome. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:41 pm 

Impressive, most impre..... well you know the rest :toothy

I bet that was a blast! Helmet looks great!

And you've got the ominous Vader finger point perfected!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:46 am 

Threads not dead yet...hehe, recently received a better undersuit and awaiting leather ROTJ gloves i've ordered. the armor, shoulder bells and shins have also gone thru more refinements as well as the belt and boxes, have also fabricated a more accurate cod piece...some adjustments and fresh coat of gloss paint on the dome also... will post pics soon...hope these upgrades merit approval from local garrison so i may submit application to be part of 501st...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Cool. Good luck and can't wait to see the whole thing with the new parts. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:08 am 

No Humor Man wrote:
Cool. Good luck and can't wait to see the whole thing with the new parts. :thumbsup

:toothy

Here is the undersuit i got from a local 501st member...

here is a comparison shot of the updated (scrathc built) shoulder armour and a fiberglass one i have...

how i attached the bells...doesnt show here but added elastics as well...

re-did the lights for the beltboxes and got a wider belt...still not as wide as CRL specified..but will do for now..

made a better codpiece...

sanded a bit more of the flaws and bumps on the dome and shins then shot with fresh coat of gloss...

not yet good enough for formal 501st trooping but i think i can already wear to hospital visits for sick kids with the local garrison if permitted... gloves have not yet arrived but the samples shown before ordering were gorgeous , so giddy for mine... meanwhile...working on my Budget Chewie :lol

lots lots more room for improvement...but sloooooowly getting to the endgoal of a proper Vader...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:34 am 

Hi Guys,

Even though my Vader is still a work in progress, I was allowed by the local garrison a chance to do a hospital charity troop with them yesterday ( the group's approved Vaders were indisposed) ( the kids/patients couldn't tell that my suit is not accurate yet.. :wink: ), loved seeing sick kids' faces light up ( makes them forget for a even while the pain and sadness they are enduring... :pale ) when we show ourselves...this added motivation for me to get my suit to 501st standards so can attend more events like this... suddenly costuming has transcended into something sooo much more. MTFBWY

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:27 am 

Vader's not such a bad guy after all. Kudos to you sir. Nice way to apply the hobby to such noble purpose. Costume is looking good!

Profile E-mail