It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 42  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: 1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:29 am 

Love it!! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:19 pm 

I'm seeing double! Looks great. I see you went for the rare 10 teeth trim. 8 teeth spaces is most common for stunt helmets, but there are a few screen-used with 5 teeth cut out on one side (and one even with 6!). original-anh-hdpe-stormtrooper-helmet-found-vt201.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:05 am 
Site Admin

I'm not sure I'm following. The painted one is from the Gentle Giant bust. However, both pieces are sourced from the exact same scan of the original *Set For Stun* ANH helmet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:47 am 

Duh - my mistake. Gentle Giant I meant should have made 4 cutouts per side for the frown to accurately depict the SFS helmet trim. 4 per side is also the standard defined by the 501st for OT stunt stormtrooper helmets, though there are on-screen examples of stunt helmets with 3 or 5 cutouts per side.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think they even remotely tried to emulate how the original SFS helmet looked. They just saw recessed areas on the sculpt and painted them black. Doesn't seem they much cared for accuracy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

Did a little paint test with the Rolls Royce Mason's Black equivalent that's available where I live yesterday and today. Two layers is needed to get it looking nice. First layer should be thin and fairly well covering - I have found I don't need a heavy layer for that - and then the second layer is what brings the shine. I need to be more careful with the first layer, but I really like the look I achieved, even though I somewhat screwed up. It's not perfect, but I really like this color. It's deep black in just that right way. I'll try and snap some pictures tomorrow but that may show that the result wasn't as good as it appears now and I may be a long ways off getting the hang of painting this without just shooting it with a coat of gloss clear coat - though that would look right for the ESB version and not the ANH... and it's ANH I'm trying to achieve as that's the hardest paint job.

I was lucky only really needing one layer for the face mask - applied too heavy a coat, so it may look too soft if I spray it again. Unlike the dome which didn't turn out as shiny on the first spraying session.

I'll try and apply the gunmetal color tomorrow on the face mask, or wait until I've sprayed the second layer on the chest armor, so I can paint both face mask and armor to test things out. Though... what I have learned is that I will not be able to paint these when I start selling them... it's just not worth getting sick from it, so I'll have to sell them raw and unpainted, but it will be statues or busts only. I simply can't deal with armor kits. Sorry about that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Well, the pictures proved it: My painting skills suck. The color is right, application is just appalling, so I won't even waste your time with a picture and save myself the embarrassment. It's really that bad.

On another note... I have learned that the pictures I've hosted on imageshack and my account there are all gone. I've written them asking what is going on. But it seems now that pretty much 95% of the images I've uploaded to this site are gone... and I'm at the limit at imgur and I've been told not all can see pictures from them anyway... so I'm in need of a new picture hosting service. This is further complicated by the fact that imageshack didn't post the title of the picture in the link URL, so it will be near impossible to replace the broken links.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, I'm going to embarrass myself. My painting and picture taking skills severely lack to show what I'm seeing when holding these pieces. What the pictures show though, are all my mistakes. However, these were the best I could produce. Sorry that they are a little dark, but I couldn't use flash.

Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:56 pm 

Amazing !!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:26 pm 

Niiiiice :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

I need to stop embarrassing myself. This was a quick paint test. The result is fair... but it's so hard to photograph.

Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:41 pm 

MY WAAAAAANT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone from the UK who has bought from this place: http://www.benam.co.uk/ - or know of other sites selling molding silicone and polyurethane resin. I've been trying to get in touch with them over the past month using all the different contact options on their site to hear if they ship to Denmark, but I haven't heard back from them.

It has to be equal part A and B mix options as I have tried silicone that had a different mix ratio between the main component and hardener. For simplicity 50/50 mix ratio is preferred which Smooth-On products seem to offer.

Hope anyone can help as there are no silicone molding rubbers or resin available to buy here in DK and buying from outside EU means extra tax.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:35 pm 

AWESOME!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:24 am 
Random avatar

I sold every statues and stuff like that from my collection because of the lack of space but if i would buy just one statue again..it would be this. I'm very curious to see Vader completed. Paint job looks great from what i see :thumbsup

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 42  Next