It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Structure From Motion : 3D Vader from photos using Visua
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:48 pm 

Looking at the 2-D renderings there is a certain abstract impressionism artistic appeal in the transformation. While not accurate it does evoke the dark mysterious essence of Vader.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:01 pm 

After some quick edits using Snapseed's spot fix to remove the empty white areas and applying a color filter, I might just frame this and put it on my wall!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:34 pm 
Random avatar

Great work man! I'd love to see how the mesh turns out. Maybe the applications would better capture the features if you separate the dome from the mask?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:19 pm 

Thanks - though very little of the work was mine - I just selected the view and applied a few simple edits.

The photos I took as input to Autodesk 123D Catch were made with equal spacing all around the helmet, with as many photos of the dome as of the facemask. But the dome just yielded very little content (just empty white space). I doubt that separating the dome would help much; it's the lack of surface texture from the smooth glossy reflective surface of the dome that makes it difficult for the algorithms to identify features than can be tracked from photo to photo.

The next thing I may try is to sprinkle some cornstarch on the outside of the dome which I can easily rinse off without scratching the dome. I think this would help a lot to reduce reflections and provide discrete points that could be tracked. I also need to become more versed with the PC version of Autodesk which has a bit more of a learning curve than the very easy to use (but feature-constrained) iPhone app.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:19 am 
Random avatar

Yeah. I'm pretty sure the desktop version would be a lot better. I believe you can upload up to 70 photos.

I found a model on the 123d website that was pretty good: (I also saw your model there, btw)

http://www.123dapp.com/obj-Catch/Vader-face/1598076

The model was only of the face mask. I downloaded it and viewed its mesh on my ipad to get some screenshots. I actually want to try to edit/clean up the mesh it with a 3d modeling app, and try 3d printing it in 1/6 scale to get an accurate representation of vader's helmet in the scale.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:40 am 

That one is the Rubies Supreme Darth Vader facemask.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:11 am 
Site Admin

Instead of powder or cornstarch you can try and use the CYCLODODECANE SPRAY. It is a common product in Art Restoration.
http://www.cyclododecane.net/html_e/ind ... ydosen.htm.

The spray allow a thin white layer on a lot of kinds of surfaces. You can remove it easily with a dry brush, White Spirit and (this is the cooler thing) only waiting!

Yes, the product sublimate itself! The time needed for sublimation are in relation with the environmental temperature and with the thickness of your layer (How much have you sprayed). Usually for thin layers the product sublimate in 2 days. If you want to accelerate the sublimation, you can use a warm breath of air (e.g.: an hairdryer).

This can be useful on delicate object and on not-washable surfaces (paper, clothes, etc.).

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:10 am 

Cyclododecane spray looks like a good way to protect a valuable article during surface evaluation / transportation. The spray is a bit expensive (>$50) and seems to be limited in availability in the U.S. Any solid that sublimates I put into the general category of "magic". As a kid if I happened to get a chunk of dry ice, my entertainment agenda was set for the rest of the day. The last bit was typically reserved for dry ice hockey on the kitchen table.

I did try a crude cornstarch test but not on the DPDLX but instead on the extra fiberglass dome I have (which was identified here to be a Portumac recast). I dusted the right half of the dome with cornstarch. A finer dusting would have been better, but the results below do show that this does improve the ability of the AutoDesk 123D Catch algorithm to identify trackable features and to ascertain the shape of the dome better (well, plus the globs of cornstarch). It also rinsed off easily with water with no apparent scratches to the surface.

This was done outside on a cloudy day on a textured glass table top. Putting newspaper print on the table surface would probably provide more discrete points for tracking and reduce the "Philadelphia Experiment" merging of the dome with the table top.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:26 pm 
Random avatar

Hey banthapoodoo. I generated a 3D scan of my Black Series Kylo Ren Helmet using 123D Scan. The mesh I got was also pretty good. I'm thinking that the scan of the Vader helmet & mask would be better if both are done separately.

LINK: http://www.123dapp.com/catch/Kylo-Ren-H ... an/4791326

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:49 pm 

Wow that really did turn out well! The more featured surface texture and flat/satin black finish probably helped to yield a good 3d model. The input images were no doubt good quality and high resolution. How many photos did you take and from what viewpoints (angles and distances)?

That's probably a good idea to separate the mask from the dome. For my investigation I was only interested in how well it could be modeled the 3D digital domain, but if ever it was to be realized in physical form that would definitely make sense (but not of someone else's work of course).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:11 am 
Random avatar

banthapoodoo wrote:
Wow that really did turn out well! The more featured surface texture and flat/satin black finish probably helped to yield a good 3d model. The input images were no doubt good quality and high resolution. How many photos did you take and from what viewpoints (angles and distances)?

That's probably a good idea to separate the mask from the dome. For my investigation I was only interested in how well it could be modeled the 3D digital domain, but if ever it was to be realized in physical form that would definitely make sense (but not of someone else's work of course).

I actually just used my iPad and the 123d catch app for it, so the camera wasn't really that high resolution. I took a total of 70 photos, which were 360 degree images from the top view, front view, and bottom view of the helmet. I just followed the recommended photo process from the 123d catch tutorial.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:02 pm 

banthapoodoo wrote:
After some quick edits using Snapseed's spot fix to remove the empty white areas and applying a color filter, I might just frame this and put it on my wall!

Dang, that's gorgeous.

Is the image at all possibly in Hi-Def?

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:53 am 

Unfortunately that's the highest resolution photo of it I have. But I did use this exact photo for an 11"x14" canvas wrap from photobucket for $27 which turned out well.

Here's another even lower resolution of Vader-walking-out-of-a-steam-room from another 2D capture from the 3D model. The chin vent wasn't modeled correctly, but I like the "looking down from the stars" appearance:

Attachment:
22982842464_def9166f3f_m.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:56 pm 

Actually Mac I do have a higher resolution of it as it was rendered by Autodesk (before my edits to fill in the holes and colorize it):

And another one:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:09 pm 
Random avatar

Ostia uncles that 3d technology are undoubtedly the present design and that preparation without number of objects and elements that surround you, if you see that you need to find a variety of sotfwar, applications and free download printers. I invite you to visit my site, so that you can enjoy this world of 3D Models that so much enamors us. https://www.stlfinder.com/

Profile E-mail