It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: NHM's Terminator Endoskeleton Collection
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

Just won this on eBay for cheap. Thought it looked cool. Looking forward to getting it.

Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr

Looks like the kind of skull as seen at the bottom in this picture - similar mold line and overbite at the teeth.
Image, on Flickr

Post subject: Re: Purported T2-3D EndoSkull Dud Cast
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:10 am 

That looks really promising. I dug T2 3D when I finally experienced it a couple years ago. Nice pickup!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NHM's Terminator Endoskeleton Skull
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

I got a little bored with the grey look to the skull, so decided to whip on some Rub 'n' Buff Pewter. Fun story... as I was trying to get it out of the tube I had to press really hard and suddenly it just shot out of it and flew all over the place. Took a lot of time to calm myself into trying to get it off of my sofa, TV remote and wall, and after reading the instructions, I finally managed to get it almost completely off. But seriously... sometimes I'm just so stupid. And not only that... I almost did it twice, but thankfully, the second time my hand was in the way - wearing gloves - so it didn't spray out everywhere. It's not perfect, but at least it looks a lot more interesting now. The soft surface texture actually adds to the effect of this being an old piece that has started rusting. Unsure whether I should add more weathering to build up that look more or just leave it - I'll definitely try to paint the teeth in the proper color. But currently I'm satisfied.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:31 am 

Is your head the same source as this one?

http://www.propbay.com/original/sws-gif ... o-472.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

No. I wish. OOOOOOH do I wish. I would very much like to get in touch with that guy and hear if he's interested in having it 3D laser scanned for sixth scale reproduction.

I posted a picture of what I believe is the mold that was used to make the cast that mine is a copy from. The auction listed it as a T2 3D ride dud, but having presented it to people who are more hardcore Terminator endoskeleton enthusiasts than me they said that likely wasn't true, but I really don't know. It doesn't have the rear port cover in the cast, so and it has details - though greatly faded and miscast - that have deliberately been removed from most licensed pieces, which is why I suspect it's sourced back to an original SWS mold and the mold shown above even has the lower teeth hidden under the front teeth and the way it is a one piece mold divided exactly where mine is and also how the bottom of the jaw is completely left out of the mold - again, like mine. It is certainly not a direct cast from that mold as I can spot two mold seams on it - a clean one, which is clearly the original SWS mold parting line and then a rough one which is clearly from the mold taken off a cast from that mold.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

This is how it looks in natural light without flash. Sorry for the slightly fuzzy look, but I can't keep my hands still enough to get a sharp picture in this kind of light.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:14 pm 

No Humor Man wrote:
No. I wish. OOOOOOH do I wish. I would very much like to get in touch with that guy and hear if he's interested in having it 3D laser scanned for sixth scale reproduction.

I posted a picture of what I believe is the mold that was used to make the cast that mine is a copy from. The auction listed it as a T2 3D ride dud, but having presented it to people who are more hardcore Terminator endoskeleton enthusiasts than me they said that likely wasn't true, but I really don't know. It doesn't have the rear port cover in the cast, so and it has details - though greatly faded and miscast - that have deliberately been removed from most licensed pieces, which is why I suspect it's sourced back to an original SWS mold and the mold shown above even has the lower teeth hidden under the front teeth and the way it is a one piece mold divided exactly where mine is and also how the bottom of the jaw is completely left out of the mold - again, like mine. It is certainly not a direct cast from that mold as I can spot two mold seams on it - a clean one, which is clearly the original SWS mold parting line and then a rough one which is clearly from the mold taken off a cast from that mold.

I have someone who may could have an idea from what it's from and from where to get more of that stuff.
He has a hugh Terminator collection.
Should i ask him for detailed info or give him your mail or what ever?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, that would be awesome. If you talk with him, just forward my e-mail address (pm on the way) and show him that picture of the prop-bay piece, as that is the kind of high-end stuff I'm looking for. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Had a little fun painting the teeth. Not perfect, but that's okay for this piece. Have been thinking of trying to get someone to make lightweight and thin casts of the eyes, temple inserts and jaw pistons to finish the piece up nicely.

Anyway... here's a picture of my miserable painting attempt.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:42 pm 

Looks cool , i like it.
Have some kind of prop touch on it. Not perfect and with a lot of details.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, it's pretty fun to be working on this piece a little at a time and seeing it progress. It's been a long time since I've felt that about anything I do.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:10 am 
Site Admin

Since I couldn't sleep for some reason I started working on a picture I always felt looked wrong, but it wasn't until I learned the details of the endoskeleton that I realized exactly what was wrong. They mirrored the endoskeleton in the promo picture, which is why the skull doesn't line up with Arnold's face like it should. I understand the reason for doing it as the correct side was in shadow on the original endoskeleton picture. However, doing some little photoshopping I made an approximation of how the poster actually should have looked if they had used the correct side of the endoskeleton and in my humble opinion, the fact that it is actually in shadow makes it look all the more cooler.

The original is on the left and my edit is on the right.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:48 pm 

oh wow yeah your version looks worlds better.

Yeah definitely cooler with the Endo side in shadow, it also enhances the red glowing eye. Also I thnk the fact you can't see the Endo's teeth sells the illusion more as well. I know you would naturally see it's teeth if you peeled away Arnold's lips, but somehow it always looks weird to me when you see zombies, or Two-face etc in films with teeth showing on one side and closed human lips on the other.

Very nice work on the skull too! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks. I had to do a lot of editing by cutting the body section away from the skull as that didn't line up, yet I had to keep the rear neck piston where it was, so had to add to that to extend it to where the new torso was positioned. This edit also aligned the torso more perfectly with Arnold's frame rather than on the promo where it is skewed in a strange angle, making the chest and pistons not line up with the human counterparts. I actually managed to get it to line up near perfectly. If only I had the endoskeleton picture in as good a quality as is seen in the promo picture. Sadly, the one I have isn't as high def and you can sorta see it in the edit - that the endoskeleton lines are a little blurry and not as sharp as in the original promo picture. However, I don't think it really takes away from the illusion of the picture. It's not perfect, and I could always have fiddled more, but I think it's an okay representation of how the poster could have looked if they had done it this way.

Another thing to note: now the shadows match up - going in the same direction - on both Arnold and the endoskeleton.

This is a scaled down version of the endoskeleton picture I used. I sadly haven't found it in better quality. Would love to get a ultra high definition version of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:24 am 
Site Admin

Turrican wrote:
Is your head the same source as this one?

http://www.propbay.com/original/sws-gif ... o-472.html

Do anyone know this guy? Would really like to get in touch with him.

Also... found this interesting piece of work. It is an edit of the new front cover of the Blu-Ray for the 1984 The Terminator release. The endoskeleton isn't posed perfectly, but the concept is really cool.
http://orig14.deviantart.net/6d71/f/201 ... 8mtrzm.jpg