It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Darth Vader ESB faceplate archive photo (like a TM?)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:48 am 

I'm throwing out this as a hypothesis (i.e. a guess) but I see some similar features that lead me to this proposition:

Could this be the Hoth Invasion faceplate, updated with a larger chin vent and the ring mount?

:discussion

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

That would have to be a definite no. The Hoth helmet doesn't have the neck extension.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:55 pm 

Ah OK thanks. I have much to learn regarding Vader helmet matching. Matching the same stormtrooper helmet scene-to-scene so much easier (especially Mr. No Stripes)!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:54 am 

Its Bondo or the equivalent. :thumbsup

dcarty wrote:
I saw that on Facebook the other day -- awesome photo!

The glue on the ring attachment reminds me of the stuff they used on the stunt helmet. My guess is that it is a two-part epoxy putty.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:20 pm 

Amazing image, beautiful. Anyone have the link on FB for this? To me it seems like the neck extension wasn't just left over but intended to make the neck profile more symmetrical as the ANH neck edge is higher on Vader's left side.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:23 pm 

My thoughts exactly SL

SithLord wrote:
Amazing image, beautiful. Anyone have the link on FB for this? To me it seems like the neck extension wasn't just left over but intended to make the neck profile more symmetrical as the ANH neck edge is higher on Vader's left side.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:41 pm 

No Humor Man wrote:
It is still unknown whether the extension was done when the screen used ANH was originally molded, or if it was added later to a casting from that UK mold and then remolded and used for the ESB helmets. My personal view is that it was done when the ANH was molded, since it was likely done with clay - that was removable and not permanent - similar to the filled in chin vent and the filler around the lens corners, but we simply don't know. We do know however that it seems to be a feature on several helmets cast for ESB and some tour helmets.

The TM isn't the only helmet in fandom that has the neck extension. The VP also had it but was trimmed off by the owner before making casts available. Another cast that was shown off here on the forum some time ago also has the neck extension, but that one was longer and trimmed strangely, so, it is not an uncommon feature.

Clearly there wasn't an extension on the original ANH. Brian Muir would have mentioned it. He and I discussed the mask at some length when I showed him mine, particularly how it was shaped in the neck to meet with the armor. He made no mention of any kind of neck extension. It's an ESB only trait.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:47 pm 

No Humor Man wrote:
That would have to be a definite no. The Hoth helmet doesn't have the neck extension.

Exactly. It would if your theory about the neck extension being on the original ANH was correct.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

SithLord wrote:
No Humor Man wrote:
It is still unknown whether the extension was done when the screen used ANH was originally molded, or if it was added later to a casting from that UK mold and then remolded and used for the ESB helmets. My personal view is that it was done when the ANH was molded, since it was likely done with clay - that was removable and not permanent - similar to the filled in chin vent and the filler around the lens corners, but we simply don't know. We do know however that it seems to be a feature on several helmets cast for ESB and some tour helmets.

The TM isn't the only helmet in fandom that has the neck extension. The VP also had it but was trimmed off by the owner before making casts available. Another cast that was shown off here on the forum some time ago also has the neck extension, but that one was longer and trimmed strangely, so, it is not an uncommon feature.

Clearly there wasn't an extension on the original ANH. Brian Muir would have mentioned it. He and I discussed the mask at some length when I showed him mine, particularly how it was shaped in the neck to meet with the armor. He made no mention of any kind of neck extension. It's an ESB only trait.

Thomas, we have discussed that back and forth a number of times. Of course the original ANH didn't have a neck extension, why should it? But I still haven't seen anything definitive showing the ANH mask wasn't molded with clay added as an extension in that area - which some do to preserve the original edges so it is easily trimmed away on the castings leaving the edges nice and pristine - since they already filled lens gaps, teeth grill and chin grill.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:02 pm 

No Humor Man wrote:
Thomas, we have discussed that back and forth a number of times. Of course the original ANH didn't have a neck extension, why should it? But I still haven't seen anything definitive showing the ANH mask wasn't molded with clay added as an extension in that area - which some do to preserve the original edges so it is easily trimmed away on the castings leaving the edges nice and pristine - since they already filled lens gaps, teeth grill and chin grill.

If you mean molded at the time of ESB, yes ok I agree. I still think it was just an attempt to make the neck profile more symmetrical. But yes it could also be for being able to trim it in any way suitable, but I would argue that because the neck meets with the armor in a certain way, introducing that symmetry would seem a necessary modification to avoid the mask/helmet tilting we saw in ANH. The ring mount and neck extension to me would go hand in hand.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:51 pm 

I'll make another throw at the dartboard. Could this facemask be the one used as the ROTJ reveal (from the tusks up at least)? There are abrasions in the black paint on the surface between the nose, cheek, and eye that look similar. I though this was just lighting reflections, but when I looked at the original ROTJ reveal, I see they are where the black paint has rubbed off to reveal the gunmetal gray underneath. What say the experts?

Profile E-mail