It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 42  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: 1:6 scale Vader - w. Laser Scan Project
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:11 pm 

Wow that looks great and sharp. :thumbsup
Not long ago you would be happy to get that in 1:1.
To see this in 1:6 is just awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:47 pm 
Random avatar

Wow looks great. Did you use a 3d printer?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

I sent the 3D models to a printing company.

We have stopped trying to mold the saber, due to the complexities of molding them with the D-ring attached, so we have decided that for the people who signed up prior to us cancelling the armor kit run will get all new freshly printed sabers instead. Please bear with us while these are being printed and we'll approach all of you again to hear whether you are still interested.

Post subject: 1:6 scale Vader - w. Laser Scan Project
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:14 am 

I didn't express an interest in the complete figures, but I would be interested in the mini-helmets individually or a complete set, should you offer them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:25 am 
Site Admin

We might do helmets separately... we are still debating that.

Currently we are ironing out the details with our producer.

We have no real intention competing with the licensed companies and this piece really isn't for anyone - it's for those who appreciate the wobbly, uneven, dinged up look of the actual props, so if you are not accustomed to how those look, you'll probably not like these and think the casts were warped and damaged.

What I'm most afraid of is recasters though. Yes, we are expensive, but this cost a lot to make, and yes, we have made things complex in order to make it look better with separate parts - I'm looking at you face masks... you evil tiny devil things. We have a few things planned, but if we are recast, then all that will stop, 'cause there's no point in spending so much money, time and effort on this if we are just being ripped off.

Would have been cool, though, if we could have collaborated with a licensed company, but they would probably have tried to idealize things, either by LFL/Disney demand or because they think they are improving things.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:19 pm 

Understood. Thanks for considering the helmet option. Perhaps selling them as a set only would deter those with less-than-scrupulous intentions. And I can only imagine the patience and precision required for the face mask details.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:14 am 

outstanding stuff NHM. Lucas/Disney should buy it off you. i get the feeling though they prefer us to keep buying inferior stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:01 pm 
Random avatar

amazing stuff Carsten!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Will hopefully have an update soon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

Won't be long now until everything reaches our new producer and hopefully we'll have an update real soon on how we progress from there. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:22 am 
Site Admin

Sorry I haven't updated in so long. It seems the rest of the stuff was received by our new partner and we are slowly sorting through everything to see what is and what is still needed to be done. Since the new mold maker has a pressure pot it will ensure perfect, flawless castings without pin holes and air pockets, but we have to make sure the molds are geared for that, so it's a slow process of checking everything. It seems some of the smaller parts didn't make the journey, so they will have to be reprinted, but the printing company is busy right now, so it will take a while. However, we may be able to make do with the stuff we have to create perfect production molds and pieces. I think the only think needing to be molded now is the ANH face mask and all the new prints and some of the minor accessory parts that were machined in metal.

And sorry for not keeping in touch personally with all the people showing interest. It just felt difficult to keep writing I had no real updates to report. I'll try and be better in the future.

Post subject: Re: 1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:47 pm 

Cool! I know it's irksome wanting to update a thread but not having anything to report.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Well, the new mold maker and caster sadly couldn't do it. He is just too busy with work. We had discussed this prior to sending everything to him and I knew he might not be able to do it, but at least he tried. I have asked for everything to be shipped to me, as the previous mold maker and caster is also too busy to take it back on, so I'll try and do it, but I am not as skilled with molding and casting as they are and I don't have a pressure pot as the second guy did, but I'll make this work. Somehow.

Getting this back in my hands and under my complete control will also mean everything is back on me to produce results. Having others do these things made me feel like I was no longer a part of the project and was basically just an idea- and money man - a feeling I really didn't like, as it made me lose interest in the project completely. I'm a hands on kinda guy - even though I'm not that skilled as the other guys helping me out - and getting to do this on my own may push me forward again and finally get this done.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:12 pm 
Random avatar

any news from the mini front?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

I've just gotten everything back and am currently working out how to best mold the pieces that hasn't been molded yet. I'm not good enough to do one-piece molds yet, so I'm looking over the pieces to find the best way to do two-piece molds and not have the seamlines cut across stuff. For instance, for the stormtrooper helmets, I'm considering following basically the face, cutting off in front of the ear and following the bottom of the brow trim and then have the other mold section be everything else. That should limit the visibility of the seamline to already existing edges. The Vader dome is much simpler, but the face mask will be a problem I'll have to work out. I'm working really slow, to do this right and not mess up... so I sadly can't give an estimate on how long it's going to take. Sorry.

In the meantime I thought I'd show a comparison between the Gentle Giant (supposedly 1:6 scale) helmet from their bust versus my true 1:6 scale printed helmet.
Image, on Flickr

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 42  Next