It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: My two ESB Vaders WIP
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:08 am 

Looks promising.
:thumbsup

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:00 am 
Site Admin

I like where this is heading. Nice mods. What did you use to make the mods?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:46 pm 

Thank you folks!
I started with a white car body filler before I read Macs column (strongly recommended) about the problems of ABS. There were indeed already small cracks occurred in the very first modifications. Most likely due to temperature changes since the helmet remained untouched over this year. I rubbed the mask then from behind with epoxy resin and that made it more stable, but not sure how good.
By chance the art school where I work will provide an one week 'plastic workshop' next month. So I plan to use this mask there as a mold for experiments. After some years of reading about, I'm very curios to see  it's my thing or not... :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:05 pm 

So I finished the plastic workshop today.
Unfortunately we were not allowed to mold individual objects, but there was a task to sculpt and mold an 'organic form' of our choice.
Except in my childhood I never sculpted anything before. Though I decided to create an Alien head ( H.R. Giger lived just 15 minutes away from my home :wink: )

It's really crap what came out, but it was big fun and interesting to work with that kind of stuff.
I used PU for the core, made the peeling skin with rubbed clear acrylic and the slime with silicone.
The mold parts (silicone mold, plaster support form):

The teacher rated PU as suitable to mold a durable helmet when using a sufficient thickness.
I already saw some nice works out of that material in another forum.
I think I will try to cast my Rubies face mask mod and my second (raw) SPFX dome this way. Just for fun :wink:

There was also an epoxy lesson, what she called one of the 'less nice' stuffs
Indeed nothing to lightly handle in terms of health protection if you take it seriously.
That increases my respect for you guys who do this regular.

And as I'm writing this, my new neighbour (prof. painter) sent me a nice picture of my SPFX Dome with first layer of black cloat.

Oh yeah I love such days :toothy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:31 am 

Due to a neccessary change of my armor prop my costume project is still ongoing. But it was really worth, the 'Bookface' armor designed by CSMcLaren is the finest prop I've ever got! :thumbsup

But there is some progress with my virtual Vader and other CGI stuff for my little fanfilm project. I made a short teaser using some noisy preview renderings of final arranged scenes mixed with soundtrack loops and synthesizer effects.

https://vimeo.com/131105833

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:13 am 

BigT wrote:
Due to a neccessary change of my armor prop my costume project is still ongoing. But it was really worth, the 'Bookface' armor designed by CSMcLaren is the finest prop I've ever got! :thumbsup

But there is some progress with my virtual Vader and other CGI stuff for my little fanfilm project. I made a short teaser using some noisy preview renderings of final arranged scenes mixed with soundtrack loops and synthesizer effects.

That looks cool.
All CGI or real persons/ set's as well?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:41 pm 

It's been a while since I was here, but that also applies to other Prop forums. It is not that I'm not interested in the topic any more, on the contrary.

But with the completion of my Vader costume, it was time for a break with the prop discussions and I simply enjoyed my work by trooping on great events.

Two weeks ago I had finally the great, great, great opportunity to lead our garrison to the honor ceremony of Brian Muir at the Fantasy Basel convention.

I already had lost one tusk in a (fortunately light) crash in the turmoil on this day but I think nobody noticed :wink:

So it's time to say again a big THANKS to all makers and contributors of this page, which gave me the most of the really valuable informations while building my Vader.

I hope this site will stay with us, because even with the unfortunate loss of many pictures there's still huge information that will help new prop fans to find their way.

May the force be with you! (And watch 'Solo', it's really worth!!)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:02 am 

Turrican wrote:
BigT wrote:

That looks cool.
All CGI or real persons/ set's as well?

It will be a mixture with also a longer part in a real 1:1 Cockpit prop. of the Wilde Karrde :wink:

Here's a sequence I show here for the first time public. The green key is not yet proper in some frames, but this is only a first raw cut I made myself.

https://darth-vader.ch/tswp/previews/mov/019-022_master-short_exp_06035-06900.m4v

:lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Looking cool. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:00 pm 

The broken tusk just added some screen realism (akin to the broken tusk of the ESB stunt helmet towards the end of the lightsaber battle). Nice composition on the teaser trailer. Reminiscent of Batman vs Vader, one of my favorite short fan films, and your helmet looks better! One suggestion is to lower the pitch slightly on Vader's footsteps to give it a heavier sound (Audacity can do that without changing the tempo).

Profile E-mail