It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: The funeral pyre/mystery mask connection
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:07 pm 

I recently read the thread regarding the image of this mask found on the web.

I was going through my pics and came across an image of the funeral pyre helmet.

When looking at it, I couldn't help but make an observation.

When I had looked at the mystery mask pic above earlier, I had come to the conclusion that it was interesting because of the grille that was in it. It was reminiscent of the actual grills used on production helmets, only smaller. When I looked at this image of the funeral pyre helmet, I suddenly realized that the grille is pretty much identical. And while I do not believe for a minute that this mystery mask and the funeral pyre mask are one and the same, in fact, I'm pretty sure they're not, the fact that the grills and their placement are nearly identical suggests a definite connection.

Since we know that the funeral pyre helmet was obviously owned by Lucasfilm and was used in Return of the Jedi, despite its ANH lineage, it is likely that they share the same origin.
I would suspect they were both tour helmets. The good news is, this rules out the original ANH screen used helmet being used as the funeral pyre helmet, as their grills do not match.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The funeral pyre/mystery mask connection
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

Well, it's easy to determine that the Funeral Pyre helmet isn't the Mystery helmet, because the Mystery helmet looks like that currently - not burnt.

We also know that the Funeral Pyre helmet isn't the screen used ANH due to the mounting system used on that one, which is similar to the ESB Poster helmet, which was used as a tour helmet and came from the ILM (Rick Baker) mold.

Chances are it is a tour helmet. But it would be nice with more pictures.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:10 am 

I remember when I first saw ROTJ during the funeral pyre scene thinking not about Anakin Skywalker's redemption but instead being outraged that they burned a perfectly good Darth Vader helmet!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:51 am 

Quote:
I remember when I first saw ROTJ during the funeral pyre scene thinking not about Anakin Skywalker's redemption but instead being outraged that they burned a perfectly good Darth Vader helmet!!!

Exactly! :ac10

[
Quote:
Well, it's easy to determine that the Funeral Pyre helmet isn't the Mystery helmet, because the Mystery helmet looks like that currently - not burnt.

Does someone know the owner? I was thinking it was a Flicker pic that someone came across.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:05 am 

The Don Bies helmet has written in the dome "Re-Painted 6/92 Don Bies LFL" (picture at starwarshelmets.com).

It's interesting how the 'chin hair' in the funeral pyre photo above is of the same dimension of a ANH triangle vent.

I watched the funeral pyre scene again, and it looks like the Vader's top right tusk was broken before the fire was lit. Any known faceplate in the ESB / ROTJ era that matches that description?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

The Funeral Pyre helmet is most likely an ANH tour helmet.