It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:56 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Who wants to see a real Stormtrooper ESB MKII helmet??
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:08 am 

Nice combo. I take it you're using a Voigtlander .95 50mm? Nice fast sharp lens.
I've moved up to the full frame A7r recently. Just bought myself a 100-400 L IS USM canon LENS.
Looking forward to the results.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:52 pm 

sskunky wrote:
Nice combo. I take it you're using a Voigtlander .95 50mm? Nice fast sharp lens.
I've moved up to the full frame A7r recently. Just bought myself a 100-400 L IS USM canon LENS.
Looking forward to the results.

No I have the SLR Magic Hyperprime 0.95/50 for the NEX, which is a real good deal.
In the last moment I decided to take the smaller and lighter Minolta MC 58/1.2 (manual focus) for the shot. Low light lenses is a must since flash is not allowed.
Unfortunaltey but as expected the conditions were'nt the best, though the exposition is a really great experience! But low or only partial light, reflections, moving people and simply to much of exciting props made it hard to get the right focus. And the one and a half hour visit time was over just to fast.

Since photography was only allowed for private use, I unfortunately can't post any pictures here in the thread... :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:53 pm 

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but something caught my attention while I checked those pics for detailling.

Is it me or the facplate and ears seems to be made out of a different kind of plastic than the cap back?

It seems that those parts aged differently. The cap back still looks white where the other parts are more "cream" color.

And from the inside, it seems that the faceplate is made out of pinseal plastic (we already known that), but the cap back looks smooth. Same fact for the outer side. Whe can see some "orange peel" on the left side of the faceplate where de cap back appears to be really smooth.

Click to enlarge

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:51 pm 

Nairod wrote:
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but something caught my attention while I checked those pics for detailling.

Is it me or the facplate and ears seems to be made out of a different kind of plastic than the cap back?

It seems that those parts aged differently. The cap back still looks white where the other parts are more "cream" color.

And from the inside, it seems that the faceplate is made out of pinseal plastic (we already known that), but the cap back looks smooth. Same fact for the outer side. Whe can see some "orange peel" on the left side of the faceplate where de cap back appears to be really smooth.

Click to enlarge

This might explain why the ESB mkii back n caps don’t get the texture showing from the inside like the faceplate. I’ve never been able to get a smooth finish on the back n caps using 1.5mm pinseal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:53 am 

I remember some pics of the MKII molds (the set made out of brown stuff just like cured polyester resin)

The faceplate had this pinseal texture captured. But don't remember for the cap back.

Some ROTJ v1 (which finally are reused MKII) are completely made out of pinseal ABS even the cap and back.

It's very hard to know if this MKII is unique since we only knows two of them.

The second one from the LFL archives is pictured on the Star Wars Costums book and it's impossible to determine the type of plastic used. (And for the story, this one seems to have the teeth cutted out ).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:56 am 

Nairod wrote:
I remember some pics of the MKII molds (the set made out of brown stuff just like cured polyester resin)

The faceplate had this pinseal texture captured. But don't remember for the cap back.

Some ROTJ v1 (which finally are reused MKII) are completely made out of pinseal ABS even the cap and back.

It's very hard to know if this MKII is unique since we only knows two of them.

The second one from the LFL archives is pictured on the Star Wars Costums book and it's impossible to determine the type of plastic used. (And for the story, this one seems to have the teeth cutted out ).

Hmmmm..... I own those moulds and the back n cap does indeed have texture on the mould.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:11 pm 

That would tend to mean that this helmet is an exception.

But it's just like some HDPE helmets which are made out of different shade of khaki. Some MKII helmets have yellow foam star padding where other have hard hat liner.

White elastic strap or black with snap fasteners, etc...

That's the fun facts of these screen used props.

Profile E-mail