It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: ANH Belt Boxes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:15 am 

I have working on doing a run of ANH belt boxes. Using an original piece of Telefunken mesh I have built a stamping die to reproduce the mesh.

This is a drawing of the stamping die I built to make the Aluminum ANH mesh. The tooling inserts were done by wire EDM due to the small teeth needed to form the screen accurate mesh.

Here is a few samples of the newly reproduced mesh.

Here is a pic of the first prototype box. I'm working with my anodizer on having the red washers anodized to the correct color. I'm also giving him a few sample boxes to have anodized black to see how they come out. Your guys feedback is always welcomed :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ANH Belt Boxes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:33 pm 

Nice work so far. So what reference material did you use for the boxes/buttons dimensions? Color me potentially interested. :salut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:10 pm 

SithLord wrote:
Nice work so far. So what reference material did you use for the boxes/buttons dimensions? Color me potentially interested. :salut

PM sent :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Cool progress. :cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:34 pm 

Dazzling! Might be interested as well, especially if the power source is self-contained (as opposed to external battery pack).

:)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:06 pm 
Random avatar

Not bad and what a interesting process you went trough.
Nice work so far :cheers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:18 pm 
Random avatar

looks cool
im interested in the dimension info too.
personaly i thin the anodizing will look cool but i think a good glass perl sanding is needed to get a real good finish.

but for ANH the damge and all looks painted so im a bit on two ways on this

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:30 pm 

Thanks to vadermonkey for referring this thread. These look great so far and I look forward to seeing the finished piece especially a flat black anodized finish.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:25 am 

Thanks guys !!

I'm getting ready to machine the knobs now and I want to make them as screen accurate as possible. I know that they should have a small chamfer on the ends but trying to find a good picture that shows how much of a chamfer is almost slim to none. I'm open to any help or opinion on making these as accurate as possible. :thumbsup

Thanks,

Michael

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:32 am 

I would recommend a bit of trial and error. It is subtle in the photos. Start with a minimum amount that is visible- perhaps .25 mm, but it appears it would be no more than .5 mm, around tip edge. 45 degree angle. See the link below for reference photos, courtesy of CSMacLaren.

anh-box-and-belt-vt1240.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:17 am 

mparent wrote:
Thanks guys !!

I'm getting ready to machine the knobs now and I want to make them as screen accurate as possible. I know that they should have a small chamfer on the ends but trying to find a good picture that shows how much of a chamfer is almost slim to none. I'm open to any help or opinion on making these as accurate as possible. :thumbsup

Thanks,

Michael

You seem like a professional and really put a lot of work into your projects, so I'm gonna break a rule here and help you out just this once. :wink: First off the washers on the ANH box are not made of metal and they are a separate piece. That one you will have to work for, but this is what the knobs should look like:

This is about as close to a found part for the knobs that you can get. You want the knobs to have that look. You have to work on getting the right size though in proportion to your boxes, but this is generally what the knurling looks like on the ANH knobs and it also shows the amount of chamfer, give or take. There is a question on how rounded the end should be etc, but this is generally an accepted accurate look. I may take a bit of backlash from the Vader police, but honestly there are so many pics out there that show it. You just have to know where to look and what you're looking at. Good luck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:23 am 

Lambotour,

Thank you very much !!! I will run some sample pieces and post pictures for feedback.

Thanks again, :salut

Michael

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:37 am 

Today my sheet metal guy delivered the belt boxes. Monday I will send a set out to be anodized and see if I like the results.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:35 am 

Knurling on the ANH knobs is news to me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:09 pm 

Lambotour wrote:
You seem like a professional and really put a lot of work into your projects, so I'm gonna break a rule here and help you out just this once. :wink: First off the washers on the ANH box are not made of metal and they are a separate piece. That one you will have to work for, but this is what the knobs should look like:

This is about as close to a found part for the knobs that you can get. You want the knobs to have that look. You have to work on getting the right size though in proportion to your boxes, but this is generally what the knurling looks like on the ANH knobs and it also shows the amount of chamfer, give or take. There is a question on how rounded the end should be etc, but this is generally an accepted accurate look. I may take a bit of backlash from the Vader police, but honestly there are so many pics out there that show it. You just have to know where to look and what you're looking at. Good luck.

You have spilled the beans! :lol :lol :lol :lol