It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Finally have a finished SL ANH :D
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:20 am 
Random avatar

Hi gents,
this circle/ring doesn't appear on the TM face casting. Any idea why?
thanks from the "Newbie"
mike

SithLord wrote:
There has been some that have thought that the SL ANH doesn't have the original paint on its surface as seen on the original ANH helmet as in the Tantive IV scenes. A lot of the focus had been on discussion of the C-scar, and justifiably so. However, that is just one detail. What of, for example, Vader's left front cheek face? Is there detail there that indicates the original paint surface was preserved at the time Rick Baker molded the original mask? The answer is yes. There is a complex imperfection on the left front cheek surface that initially detectable by virtue of some black paint showing beneath (or on top of?) the gunmetal. One of the most identifying features of this imperfection is a ring-shaped detail. The comparison below shows a closeup of the original ANH check (left closeup image) and that imperfection along with the ring which shows up better if one reduces the intensity of the LUT somewhat and applies a bit of sharpening (center closeup image). That ring is also clearly on the SL ANH in exactly the same location as on the original (right closeup image). Interestingly, by the time of the Chorbis photoshoot, that detail is completely gone, as there was some touch-up paint work by then in specific areas. This is but one example indicating how early the mold had been taken off the original ANH mask by Rick Baker.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:23 am 
Random avatar

Hi Tom & other Vader enthusiasts.
I started off thinking the Legend was the best there could be…..
following a progressive “re-education” from the content on this site & side by side comparison to a raw TM cast I now see the contrasting difference & look at the Legend in a different light (Dam- as the Legend costed a lot of cashish!)
But can you tell me something….
It can be seen and its mentioned that the efx has a smaller top of the Dome & the SL has a higher version. How can this be possible? Especially if they came from the same mould? Without knowing anything about moulding or making casts, I can’t understand how mould could extend in one place without having major distortions.
How is this possible, Do you have any reference photos that show whether the bigger or smaller dome top is accurate?
Don’t hit me guys (especially you tom!)—“cringe”… but from the limited observations I’ve made comparing to the dome on the original shown in this photo, it appears to me that the ANH Vader is closer to the smaller dome top look than the larger. Hey , I’ve got no agendas, it’s just from what I can make out, I’m just using my analytical eye & letting my observations be the judge.
Happy to be corrected, …. Please set me straight if I’ve got it wrong!
Thanks from the “newbie”
mike

SithLord wrote:
Mac asked me to post a front view comparison with the eFX on the RPF so I'll post it here too....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Mickxc wrote:
this circle/ring doesn't appear on the TM face casting. Any idea why?

Yes, it is really strange to me that it doesn't have that feature, when it has so many other correct leftovers from the screen used ANH. It's even more strange since the surface is rough and not smooth and there are no signs of the brush marks that should be on that cheek, so my only guess would be that either work was done on a source it was molded from or work was done on the cast - work that wasn't removed when the paint was stripped and filler resin removed. That is certainly one of the areas where the SL cast trumps the TM completely, by having the actual brush marks and that circular mark. What's interesting with the SL is that you see the brush marks and all these Tantive scene details, but you also see the granularity of the repaint all over those details, softening them. At least that's my interpretation of what I'm seeing.

Would still be interesting to see a fully untouched UK mold cast - from that original first mold made of the screen used ANH. THAT would pretty much be my dream cast.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:50 pm 

Mickxc wrote:
Do you have any reference photos that show whether the bigger or smaller dome top is accurate?

Thanks from the “newbie”
mike

Hi Mike,

I think Thomas explained that the domes on the two helmets were sitting at different angles when he took the photograph which is why they appear to be so different.

Welcome to the madhouse!

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:18 pm 

Damn, that helmet is amazing :cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:54 pm 

No Humor Man wrote:
Would still be interesting to see a fully untouched UK mold cast - from that original first mold made of the screen used ANH. THAT would pretty much be my dream cast.

You mean, a stripped-down TD ANH? :lol

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:55 pm 

dcarty wrote:
Mickxc wrote:
Do you have any reference photos that show whether the bigger or smaller dome top is accurate?

Thanks from the “newbie”
mike

Hi Mike,

I think Thomas explained that the domes on the two helmets were sitting at different angles when he took the photograph which is why they appear to be so different.

Welcome to the madhouse!

Dave

Yes as Dave said the domes were positioned differently because I used a spacer for the SL ANH and the eFX ANH has that dome ring. The crown of the dome can look bigger or smaller depending on the tilt (forward or backward, respectively).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

SithLord wrote:
No Humor Man wrote:

You mean, a stripped-down TD ANH? :lol

:wink:

Nope. The TD isn't complete.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:10 am 

This is for Gynoboy who seems to think the SL ANH is warped (ie: http://www.therpf.com/f79/efx-anh-vader-helmet-got-mine-have-questions-193532/), even though he's neither seen one in person nor been able to compare one first hand with an EFX. This also shows how much larger the SL ANH is than an EFX copy. There's no "suffering" except for those who got an EFX Legend and hoped to see more detail.

Here are views of the EFX next to the SLANH from both closer and further away to show different perspectives.

It is the EFX dome that is misshapen and the mask and dome lacking entirely in terms of detail. Yet to this day Gyno has offered no explanation as to why there was so much cleanup, or why the dome front flaring was reworked and the incorrect shape. :slp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:03 pm 

Cool pics! I will compare to TM when I get mine. ^_^ For fun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:10 pm 

SithLord wrote:
Yep :salut

Incidentally, the left and right sides of the nosebridge should be silver/gunmetal, not black as on the eFX ANH. They seemed to extend the black paint on the inside of the eyes of the eFX to the sides of the nosebridge.

Sorry guys I'm not sure I understand exactly which area you are referring to. Can someone please explain? :pale

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

This is the area that is talked about. The inner eye socket area near the nose bridge with the three horizontal grooves.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:50 am 

Ah ok, got it! Thanks! :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:10 pm 
Random avatar

SithLord wrote:
This is for Gynoboy who seems to think the SL ANH is warped (ie: http://www.therpf.com/f79/efx-anh-vader-helmet-got-mine-have-questions-193532/), even though he's neither seen one in person nor been able to compare one first hand with an EFX. This also shows how much larger the SL ANH is than an EFX copy. There's no "suffering" except for those who got an EFX Legend and hoped to see more detail.

Here are views of the EFX next to the SLANH from both closer and further away to show different perspectives.

It is the EFX dome that is misshapen and the mask and dome lacking entirely in terms of detail. Yet to this day Gyno has offered no explanation as to why there was so much cleanup, or why the dome front flaring was reworked and the incorrect shape. :slp

Holy shit that thread on the RPF was fucking priceless. I know this is a day late dollar short, but had to say that seeing history get touted as fact then getting dismissed by those that were there(Muir) is troubling when you consider what happens when those that know aren't around anymore...very glad the den allows this information to stay put for history's sake.

Profile E-mail