It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Darthvaderv ANH helmet and armor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:52 pm 

I hate to put in my oar when things get contentious like this but having done a fair amount of business with both Paul and Thomas and I would not hesitate to say that I think both are trustworthy gentlemen to deal with.

I think we should chalk this up to a bit of "keyboard disconnect" and move on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:28 am 

Let me add that I too regard Thomas as very trustworthy...my comment was not meant as an attack, just an opinion about how the thread came accross to me...hey is that the doorbell? (runs off) :toothy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:07 am 
Random avatar

dcarty wrote:
I hate to put in my oar when things get contentious like this but having done a fair amount of business with both Paul and Thomas and I would not hesitate to say that I think both are trustworthy gentlemen to deal with.

I think we should chalk this up to a bit of "keyboard disconnect" and move on.

Couldnt agree more Dave :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:10 am 
Random avatar

I am gone for over 3 years and within days of my return I read things like this. It's the reason I got away from the hobby in the first place. This should be somewhere that we all can come and forget about all the hard stuff going on in our lives and in the world and just have fun. I mean, this is supposed to be fun, right? I just hate to see it when people don't get along.
Both of you guys are respected in the prop community and I was glad to see you both here when I returned.
Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:48 am 
Site Admin

ddocvjm wrote:
I am gone for over 3 years and within days of my return I read things like this. It's the reason I got away from the hobby in the first place. This should be somewhere that we all can come and forget about all the hard stuff going on in our lives and in the world and just have fun. I mean, this is supposed to be fun, right? I just hate to see it when people don't get along.
Both of you guys are respected in the prop community and I was glad to see you both here when I returned.
Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!

Regards to the level headed people who have chimed in like Pete etc
I know what you mean Vince, I agree. Thomas and I have not fallen out before actually and because we do have our discussions behind closed doors it was a surprise, regardless of intent. What's done is done but he hasn't quite annoyed me enough to be off my Christmas card list, yet... :wink:.

For the record I'm not boasting anything here as the best in existance with my display as my pics are very brief and over 2 years old. It's like when some people say man you have the best ESB stuff and all that, it's the same reason I don't post, I'm not fussed, doesn't mean I don't appreciate the comments but I have no great desire to be #1 as to tell you the truth from my colaborations with some good people I'm not going to say I deserve recognition as a complete solo effort. I'm certainly proud of what I have, I know there are very few who would appreciate the same quest, expense and sacrifice to that level over the years but everyone who takes this hobby seriously would follow a similar path regardless and while progression and evolution is present as well as luck, at times, you can never count that anyone would be #1 forever. The fact is there is enough room in the play ground. It's playing nice that can be the issue, at times.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:11 pm 
Random avatar

Ok, than i got something wrong. So all these Elstree sets on ebay (armor, helmet, boxes) during the past years were different to each other and go from ANH to ESB right? Do they still sell from time to time? I contacted them a few times and never got a reply.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

Darth Niob wrote:
Ok, than i got something wrong. So all these Elstree sets on ebay (armor, helmet, boxes) during the past years were different to each other and go from ANH to ESB right? Do they still sell from time to time? I contacted them a few times and never got a reply.

No, you didn't get it wrong as they sold those sets originally under the Paul Harrison name, so the PH and later over time Pete's version the DK which if I recall was actually prior. Then Steve took Elstree over and things went on from there. I got my stuff in person and later had dealings but the confusion is this. People tend to remember EMI and Elstree back in the days so like an ILM cast or LFL they attach a name to it so it's up to people with the knowledge or resources to filter it out, see what is connected with what and how it relates. Take the chestbox for example, how many versions come under the Elstree name or associated to a UK mould, European or US. These things often relate even having many differences. Even the same item from a family can have a later example cleaned up, details removed etc, etc and in turn it becomes some form of variant even related. It's very frustrating and why if you collect these variants it becomes very expensive over time. If I could buy just one of everything the Vader quest would be done and dusted and I would have additionally saved myself a lot of time and I'm sure we are all in a similar boat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:56 pm 
Random avatar

Ok, now that brings some light into this thing :lol So thats why you have sold all these different types of ANH and ESB chestboxes right?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Darth Niob wrote:
Ok, now that brings some light into this thing :lol So thats why you have sold all these different types of ANH and ESB chestboxes right?

:ac10

If you don't behave I'll get some good quotes for you... :blah Of course, many different things out there. I shouldn't say this and hope a couple of people aren't put out by this but some guys online that are part of this community right here, right now, own excellent props that they don't want to do a run of and don't want to get into the politics etc. What they own would let open the flood gates and add further authentic items into the discussion but for whatever reason that's not only their wish but how they want things.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:51 pm 

Thanks for the replies, Paul and for clarifying that. I apologize to you and the Den if the thread itself was a bit over the top but I think you know me pretty well that I can sometimes be a bit direct about things, and I admit I let myself get a bit too impatient because of my curiosity about the sources of things. I have nothing but high regard for both your knowledge of Vader (especially ESB :lol ), your unwavering integrity, and your exceptional contributions to the hobby, especially to this forum, and I hope this didn't put a damper on things for us. By way of compliment, I hope that my SL ANH mask will be able to look as nice in the paintwork as you have achieved with yours, and hopefully we'll see some more nicer images of your stuff sometime.

For those who chimed in to try to bring some understanding to this, I also appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:31 pm 

SithLord wrote:
Paul, this has nothing to do with whose is best or the SL, and I wouldn't take it too seriously because it is just an honest question about the source.

I've asked you twice via email where your armor is from and you ignored me.

I asked you in your ANH helmet thread what helmet is it and you ignored me.

I was seriously interested in your armor for sale, but then the thread is locked and I feel that a question like that should be permitted on a for sale thread, or any other question about an item up for sale in a public thread.

When have I ever ignored a question from you about my stuff?

That's all.

I was also going to say that we can delete this thread if it offends you and I don't mind that because I just wanted to get a simple answer to a simple question.

We need to not assume guilt or wrongful motivation if someone doesn't respond exactly the way we want them to. Give it a chance.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:01 am 
Site Admin

SithLord wrote:
Thanks for the replies, Paul and for clarifying that. I apologize to you and the Den if the thread itself was a bit over the top but I think you know me pretty well that I can sometimes be a bit direct about things, and I admit I let myself get a bit too impatient because of my curiosity about the sources of things. I have nothing but high regard for both your knowledge of Vader (especially ESB :lol ), your unwavering integrity, and your exceptional contributions to the hobby, especially to this forum, and I hope this didn't put a damper on things for us. By way of compliment, I hope that my SL ANH mask will be able to look as nice in the paintwork as you have achieved with yours, and hopefully we'll see some more nicer images of your stuff sometime.

For those who chimed in to try to bring some understanding to this, I also appreciate it.

Well, In hindsight I guess it's a surprise with our dedication and passion to the hobby that we haven't banged heads for all these years. All's forgiven because like Vince said the Den is meant to be better than that, doesn't mean we can't dissect and analyse Vader to death but I do appreciate the words Thomas and in turn if I used the word jealousy inappropriately perhaps I was quick to see red.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:10 am 
Random avatar

Glad to see this! I am happy again... :thumbsup
Thanks to both of you for making peace publicly. It is good to see and I appreciate seeing it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:52 pm 

You know, as I watched the beginning of the thread, my initial thoughts were "Oh crap, here we go again. I thought the last few years of nonsense was finally behind us." But then seeing how quickly it got resolved, I marveled at the fact that we've grown as individuals - hopefully matured (although we have this weird fixation on putting fiberglass pieces on a male mannequin that doesn't appear to go away).

I think there is a difference between our level of passion and our ability to articulate what we want to say properly that doesn't start a flame war. Maybe we can all work on that for 2013 and onward. But yet it's this weird combo that makes us true geeks. :ac10

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:29 pm 

Darthvaderv wrote:
DynamicMenace wrote:
thats a very good point Thomas,
i agree.
if they are offering it in public it should be public knowledge on the source of what makes it authentic.
and members should be allowed to ask questions publicly about it and get answers publicly.
unless of course it was locked due to incriminating acts.?? im only speculating why it would be locked.
not implying that there is something shady going on about it. i dont know.
but that does seem odd to me the thread would be locked if its for sale.

The topic is open but I have never had to publically explain myself to you or anyone else as I'm a trusted member of this community. All because Thomas has an attack of the green eyed monster don't jump on the band wagon. If you can't see that armour is the best to date I have no idea what to tell you. What so now for the first time we can have close ups of the SL before buying it can we and ask every question we like? Yeah thought not. If I had known that all along....

please Paul i know i maybe late with my response. but i want to make it clear. my post wasn't questioning you or your honesty.
and i may have commented hastily. and probably should have worded my comment differently. but i wasn't jumping on the band wagon so to speak. even though my comment may have appeared that way. i agreed with Thomas, solely on the fact that if something is posted for sale publicly it shouldn't be locked so questions could be asked about it publicly. that doesn't mean you have to answer them publicly because you could do that with a pm. im totally new to all of this prop culture. but i was only posting my opinion. and that i wasn't insinuating that you couldn't be trusted.
becasue i know first hand that you can Paul. and that you are a trustworthy honest person. and that i consider you extremely creditable. after all i purchased your GH master set of armor from you here on this very forum last year.
it was actually my very first "authentic" prop that has direct linage to the film ANH. which i cant thank you enough for selling it to me seems how i was so new to the hobby and forum.
if i felt that you weren't creditable or trustworthy enough i wouldn't have bought it off of you. but after talking with you you made me feel that i could trust you. becasue you knew how i was very skeptical of anyone that i didn't know when it came to star wars props. becasue i told you about how i had a horrible first time experience purchasing star wars props. becasue i was taken for 1300 dollars by Phil Snavely for a an ANH helmet and set of armor.
i apologize if my comments made you feel that i thought you couldn't be trusted. becasue that was not my intentions. becasue i know for fact that you can be. and i would purchase form you again. im glad things were resolved as well. next time i comment ill make sure to really think it out before i hit that button. :)

Profile E-mail