It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Need help identifying some vader parts
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:27 pm 

Hi guys!

Some of you may know me from other forums,but I won't bother introducing myself again. Sorry about that.

I decided I should ask the experts about some pictures I took a few years ago back in 2010. Supposedly it's an ESB promo Vader suit. I have no idea though, but that's what they guy said, and said he had some papers from Mr Muir about the origins as well, but those were at his home and not at his workshop where the suit is located. The suit belongs to a friend of a friend of mine that works in the special effects industry making big fireballs and stuff for movies and such.

I don't know much about Vader and knew even less back then, so I didn't know what to take pictures of or had a decent camera at hand since I didn't expect to see this suit there. It wasn't the purpose of my visit there anyway.

He also had a really nice ROTJ SE Boba Fett costume on display, but that one was a replica which he was quick to point out, so I don't think he would knowingly lie about the Vader suit being a replica if he knew it was.

Here are the pictures, and I hope that some of you might know something more about these. I have no stake in this, and haven't seen the suit since, but it would be cool to find out if it was the real deal or not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need help identifying some vader parts
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting piece. Really have no clue what it could be, but some of the parts look iffy, but that seems to be the case with tour suits. Hope someone who knows more will chime in.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:30 am 

If you think it's worth the effort I might be able to chase down the guy for another viewing and get some better pictures. But that is assuming there is potential in these items being legit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Well, better pictures of the helmet would definitely help. You can't tell much by those blurry ones. Is he willing to take the dome off, so you can take pictures of the dome mounts on the face mask and inside the dome?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:25 pm 

If I manage to meet the guy a second time, I'll try to remember that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:18 pm 

Hi Mathias!
Nice to see you here.
Welcome to the Den. :salut
Looking forward what the hardcore nuts will find out about that Vader.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

locitus wrote:

Are you in regular contact with him, or do you just arrange a meet? In case of the first, you could have him take a few pictures for us, if he'd be interested in our opinions. Of course, having mentioned Brian Muir, I'd be interested in what context he was consulted on this piece.

Though, going back to the pictures. Even though they are blurry, the dome seems to be RotJ style and not ESB - better pictures will help, of course. But it seems like the usual later tour combination similar to the 20th C helmets. That's why the dome mount would be of interest. The rest of the outfit I really have no clue about...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:21 am 

If you read the stickers there they actually say "Bies" and LFL19?? - which is at least a copy of Vader work done by Don Bies at LFL in early 1990's. I think GT used that sticker wording too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:47 pm 

Turrican wrote:
Hi Mathias!
Nice to see you here.
Welcome to the Den. :salut
Looking forward what the hardcore nuts will find out about that Vader.

Hey Stefan! I've know of this place for quite some time, but hadn't any reason to post (and had forgotten about my pictures and that I should post them)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:50 pm 

No Humor Man wrote:
locitus wrote:

Are you in regular contact with him, or do you just arrange a meet? In case of the first, you could have him take a few pictures for us, if he'd be interested in our opinions. Of course, having mentioned Brian Muir, I'd be interested in what context he was consulted on this piece.

Though, going back to the pictures. Even though they are blurry, the dome seems to be RotJ style and not ESB - better pictures will help, of course. But it seems like the usual later tour combination similar to the 20th C helmets. That's why the dome mount would be of interest. The rest of the outfit I really have no clue about...

He's a friend of a guy I've helped with some computer work on a regular basis before. I still meet him, but not as much. I did meet the owner of the suit again sometime in the summer 2012. So I think I could arrange another meeting, it just comes down to making it happen, which can sometimes be problematic with busy schedules and other life issues that everyone has.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:51 pm 

darthjones wrote:
If you read the stickers there they actually say "Bies" and LFL19?? - which is at least a copy of Vader work done by Don Bies at LFL in early 1990's. I think GT used that sticker wording too.

I could try to keep that in mind and look for any. Where would this sticker typically be located if existing?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

That would be the chest box, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:44 am 
Random avatar

Honestly i'm not very impressed by this set up. Cant believe that anything of the shown parts are from an authentic source.