It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: TIE pilots WIP (inc. glove find)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:33 pm 
Random avatar

Having rekindled my drive to build some Vader goodness I thought I'd head back over here. However, rather than give you another random introduction I thought I'd post my current TIE pilot project instead as the correct gloves which were also used on a NorCal/SoCal Vader tour suit were found during it.

Ultimately the idea is to get the level of accuracy as high as possible for CEII in July. Ideally I'd like a 1976 and a 1982 version rather than the generic TIE pilot I have at the moment. However, in my opinion there are a few differences between the two. Please note I've split these by filming date for clarity as it is very easy to blend versions due to the way the footage was used in the films.

> Helmet cogs are black ink screen printed on off white vinyl.
> Ear greeblies are Michell turntable pulley wheels.
> Tap valve style code cylinders are used.
> The chestbox has a third hose, in most cases.
> Flightsuits always appear to have flat pocket flaps.

> Helmet cogs are white ink screen printed on clear vinyl.
> Ear greeblies are the lower tier of the turntable wheel used in 1976 but with a door clip on the top.
> No code cylinders.
> The hole where the third hose went is covered by a cog.
> Flightsuits appear to have both chevron and flat pocket flaps (not together).

So on with some progress.

I ordered some new boots from Germany with the accurate strap and correct sole pattern, made by Continental. This type of boot was issued to the Bundeswehr from the early 60s to the late 70s.

Got some nice screen accurate gloves. I was lucky enough to find a vintage set of the correct style including the PVC cuff on eBay. However, upon posting this on the UKG forum Rob (geordietrooper) pointed out that they were very similar to some gloves he had looked at for his TIE pilot build. After having a look online the only external difference was the fingertips which were round instead of square-ish so I bought some to check out the materials and pattern and hopefully modify them in to a more accurate costume glove. When they came I was a little bit shocked as not only did they have square-ish fingertips but they were also made using the correct materials. Many thanks go out to Rob for finding these. I have compiled a comparison photo that some of you may have seen on the JRS but if not I have attached it to this post.

Attachment:
Holden real comp.jpg

Anyway, I had a few greeblies machined to be the same size as the Michell turntable wheel and got a Tandy buckle. However, the Tandy buckle is too large compared to the size of the greeblie.

So I had to file down the buckle so I made a diagram and taped them together. A few hours filing and sanding later and I was in a position to rivet the greeblie on, which looks a lot better compared to my previous stuck on greeblie.

And finally compared to the Tandy blank.

Unfortunately, I do have a few reservations with the distance between the belt and the buckle face but I’ll deal with this once the belt is done.

However, I have the attention span of a goldfish so that'll have to wait.

I really wanted some accurate silk screened cogs and sadly none are available so thought I'd make some. This has actually become my new obsession. The picture below is of what I hoped was the final draft printed on some inkjet vinyl and stuck on to a DA helmet half I had lying about. I've since made a couple more changes but nothing dramatic, the main one was to extend the 11 o'clock white section towards the middle by a couple of millimetres. I also ensured that all the consistent errors on the original ANH cogs were present but that they were all suitably subtle as the line between accurate and awful is a fine one.

As a side note I actually believe there were three screens used to produce cogs for TIE pilots; the ANH one which prints the black, a ROTJ one that prints the white but is the same pattern as the ANH one and the MoM one which appears to be or be related to the AT-AT pilot screen.

I also thought it would be fun to make a commpad so I drew some of the parts out to have them lasercut. More on this in the next couple of weeks.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: TIE pilots WIP (inc. glove find)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:56 am 
Random avatar

Very ínteresting read. Lookin forward to see more of your costume. I'm still lookin for gloves and belt :wink: What do you think about the SA gloves compared to the ones from Holden?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

Cool showoff. You are really digging into the core of the outfits. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:31 am 
Random avatar

Thanks guys. Personally I'd pick the Holden gloves over SAs any day of the week. The more accurate materials means that you get the correct contrast between the 'leather black' hand and the 'PVC black' cuff, if that makes sense. The other thing is that the SAs have very thick lining in them which makes them look quite chunky compared to the originals but also means that grip and general hand dexterity is limited should you ever decide to wear them. With the Holdens it's still limited but to a much lesser extent.

Generally speaking the SAs are a more idealised glove whereas with the Holdens you get everything you see on an original even down to the not-so-neat stitching.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:12 pm 
Random avatar

Which size did you choose? They only offer M or L. Thanks for your feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:18 pm 
Random avatar

Sorry I forgot to say I chose a medium. To give you an idea as to how big that is it's about the same size as size 10 work/safety glove.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:29 am 
Random avatar

Thanks for all the info mate. Its very appreciated :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm 

Love the pilots and great work on finding the gloves..keep us updated.

Also. when you say 1978 vs 1982 style what do you mean?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:10 pm 
Random avatar

Cheers RBJ. The 1976/1982 thing is more to refer to filming dates rather than the films they are seen in. I thought it would be easier that way to concentrate on the differences and research the costumes while not sparking a "what is an ANH pilot" debate. This photo which was taken at the time of filming the Emperor's arrival is the best reference we have of the TIE pilot costume in 1982. It was actually taken so close to the time of filming that the TIE pilot in the line of gunners is still stood in the same place in the movie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:05 am 

the pilot in the second row is helmetless... and the gunner on his right looks to be attaching the helmet strap... they must have been minutes away from a take

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:14 am 
Site Admin

trooper18938 wrote:
the pilot in the second row is helmetless... and the gunner on his right looks to be attaching the helmet strap... they must have been minutes away from a take

You can just barely see the helmetless pilot raising the helmet - so it seems he's about to put it on.

What a cool picture. Thanks for showing that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:49 pm 

Great work! Of course, the glove was found like 2 months after I bought mine lol :cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:32 pm 
Random avatar

Don't worry I have four pairs of gloves, looked for a vintage pair for over two years and even though I eventually found them on eBay they were literally down the road so about five minutes walk away. Then it turned out that they are the third one down if you do a Google search for vintage gauntlets. :lol :dope

Small update to the project in that the final ANH cog pattern has been sent to a screen printers so the decals will be accurate in design, materials and use what is probably the correct printing process. The drawing for a ROTJ decal (as in white on clear) is also finished and I'm just waiting to get the ANH ones back before I get some ROTJ ones made.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:00 am 

Is there any source for those screen accurate gloves?
Can't find anything, maybe it's to early in the morning or i'm to stupid.lol.

Playing in my mind to do also a Tie fighter this year.So i could start with some single part's.
Thanks for sharing these with us here! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:09 pm 

Quote:
Is there any source for those screen accurate gloves?

if you mean the holden ones look here
http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=4&pgCode=056&sgName=Clothing&pgName=Gloves&agCode=9880&agName=Leather+Gauntlets&pCode=052.047/L#