It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: EFX 1.1 Darth Vader ANH review
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

EFX 1.1 Darth Vader ANH limited Edition review
1,000 pieces Worldwide

This is a very brief review as to not bog down the reader with over fussy details which would make for harder reading.

Having seen the Legend version in person at C5 in Orlando 2010, I decided to purchase the limited version as I found the Legend unsatisfactory in it’s appearance regarding accurate paint application.

All reviews are based out of five stars…

ImageImageImage

Packaging / Presentation ***1/2

While visual aids are naturally weak other than a large EFX box stating ANH Darth Vader helmet printed on each side as soon as you open the outer packaging you find a nice piece of card in Sideshow style format showing you a picture of your purchase in a glossy reference. The packing is very well done and the Styrofoam design keeps everything safe as well as EFX using a decent grade of cardboard. Inside the layout is as good as I’ve seen and the presence of the plaque, glossy booklet and stand all compliment in visual style. I would of liked to of seen a sleeve with the visuals on, (like a Sideshow PF statue sleeve) just to really set this apart but a good start from EFX all the same.

Dome ****

The dome is one of the best additions for prop fans but it does fail in some key areas. The left side of the flange (Vader’s) is mostly correct where as the right side suffers somewhat in it’s design. It’s a form of warpage that’s not as drastic as some think and to put right it's fairly simple but it is one of the points which hinders this piece a little. Without getting too picky and dissecting every single aspect of the dome, the flange width is positive and moving onto the brows, peak, indent and the finer details something has got very lost in what is no doubt heavily removed from the movie (clean up wise). Comparing this to a raw version of the Baker mold is really like chalk and cheese and they do differ although retaining aspects in common, naturally. The dome cap is good and while the strip is softer (as are all of the details from the brows to the indent on the peak) the dome offers something over previous fan-made alterations. Some may want to know how this would compare with an SL / ILM/Baker cast like the DJ and while they may all be related the answer is it differs enough to warrant a purchase if you’re a collector.
The use of the dome ring inside is a good addition and it works well, it’s not a great choice for purists but makes set up some what easy but not necessarily perfect. The use of the fibre method is professionally done but once again ESB style era and not the way the ANH screen used was done.
The paint application is positive but an inaccurate colour over what should be gloss black , with the use of dulling spray inconsistently but I have to say that it’s very hard to produce something for the masses and it is better than a perfectly idealised gloss black with clear coat which we’ve had in the past from some fanmades etc.
Overall, Some warpage, soft details and many details removed from the screen used and I would be inclined to take another quarter or even half a star off but a strong dome nonetheless for the majority of enthusiasts.

ImageImageImage

Face ****

The three tabs are not present on the Baker mould but other surface details around that area should be, which have been removed. A dome mount has been put in place for easier set up. While not accurate for ANH Vader the ring is a positive addition for fans, certainly not for purists. The eyebrows are good. Tubes positive, cheeks strong, nose is good and general contours are positive and as they should be for the most part. The mouth is another strength as while the correct shape is present and the teeth while massively cleaned up you can still see some of the aspects which should be there. The notch on the nose is barely visible and overall surface detail is poor for the limited version as it was for the legend which will affect the accuracy overall. The neck isn’t overly bad either, general shape and appearance can be flawed but overall the face is strong and size wise it‘s good, this would be smaller than a 1.1 original Vader helmet but we are talking small measurements overall which count to few people. The colour application for the face is sufficient and while a couple of slop parts are present it‘s not drastic. Painting a few ANH faces over the years I see the colours are some what poorly matched for the correct gunmetal but the colours used are still pretty positive for a mass produced item and it should be somewhat praised as should the lenses and tusks. The tusks are very good and the lenses are a compliment to the ANH red-ish tones, even though the lenses are and should be Amber. While the interior lining has slightly over ran past some of the contours of the helmet and you can see the black material somewhat which is a tad careless I would still have to give praise to Efx for the set up as it’s very professional and additionally comfortable if a little too tight for a mannequin of large sized heads. Once again with the flaws this should be a quarter or half a star marked down but I conclude it’s a worthy attempt all around and on the basis the screen used ANH face/dome is in fact such a banged up prop that many just wouldn‘t believe it, I don’t think the vast majority would be over thrilled with the hard core representation apart from a small group.

ImageImageImageImage

Value ***¾
This is the first time a decent and fair representation of the ANH Vader helmet has been available and you get enough bang for your buck with the helmet, stand and presentation from what seems to be a professional company that takes things seriously.
Prices are set to get out of hand in the future on eBay for genuine products of this helmet as both editions are sold out and it can be marked down half a point or so further if prices continue to rise. Watch out for recasts as they are already out there and set to sore but it will not affect the value too harshly for your official product as it will always be the official product in that limited run.

Display Status ****1/2
The display stand/base is somewhat unnecessarily bulky but well presented at the same time. The mirrored base and overturned script of the product is well done if lacking the edition number which a collector as myself is used to. Presentation wise as this is the first decent official 1.1 ANH Darth Vader helmet prop one could argue maybe it should command a base of large size. In some respects it loosely mirrors the MR Falcon base and the two suit each other when displayed. One thing for sure it’s a worthy prop in any collection no matter what you have and the combination of everything combined echoes class.

Overall Summary ****
It’s natural to compare this to such additions as the SL, DJ and TM.
I’ve tried to stray away from direct comparisons as hard as it is. People will ask is this better than the SL and the answer is no, not better, just different, like so many variants of props . In a few areas it is more accurate but as an overall it just doesn’t have that level of detail and when compared to something like the SL or TM it is trounced on that front. For those that think they are getting the holy grail in the form of this piece either as the Legend or Limited let me confirm you aren’t.
The main let down from a purist point of view is the clean up and I’m not going to say EFX or anyone else has deliberately done this but the details are far removed from a raw Rick Baker casting and that extends to the Legend as well as I had enough time to pour over the details both in person and with photographic evidence. If said company insist nothing or very little was cleaned up than obviously a different mould exists based on what is present.
What this helmet offers though is a solid level of workmanship throughout. For an official product in this category EFX have done very well and while my expectations come up short in the grand scheme of this trumping my existing holy grail of ANH props it would definitely deliver a favourable welcome over anything officially done or not done for that matter until now as well as besting the fanmade incarnations (even if some retain better details). Is it worth purchasing in addition to the other authentic castings? I would say yes. I’ve said many times the perfect helmet seems to be an amalgamation between them as they all have their pro’s and con’s. Some may think the answer is to perhaps add details to this for your own personal use, for it to boost accuracy somewhat but it won’t be the definitive answer. Same as improving on the paint jobs on both editions, removing the face/dome mount and other aspects. This helmet isn’t spectacular accuracy wise but it does deliver overall and if anyone is wondering where does it slot in I would say there isn’t much around ANH helmet wise and this is certainly superior over most things and would be recommended. The hard core shouldn’t turn a blind eye despite it being littered with flaws and when put into perspective, especially for the non die- hards, Christmas would come early with this purchase.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post subject: Re: EFX 1.1 Darth Vader ANH review
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:57 pm 

another great review Paul.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:52 pm 

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Excellent review Paul! I think you've nailed the bullet points perfectly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Great review! Thanks Paul :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Very thorough and well thought out review.

The Limited is still available, though, from some online stores, such as Razor's Edge Collectibles, for those still interested in getting one. I'm doing nearly all my licensed prop and bust and figure purchase from them and they come highly recommended.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:57 pm 

Very nice review, and a great read.

No blurry comparison photos, and just an honest overall appraisal. Very refreshing.

And I would have to fully agree that this line of products has been greatly anticipated, and that maybe a few will feel let down in some areas. But over all eFx has produced a licensed Vader helmet that anyone would be proud to display. I for one have zero buyer remorse over it, and I feel that the asking price at release time was very reasonable. And if I had the cash I would certainly buy another and just stash it away. I do not see any reason why these helmets would do anything but rise in value. The real McCoy is always the better investment for any collector.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Thanks guys, appreciated :cheers

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:02 pm 

Great to read a review from someone who knows Vader so well, thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:47 pm 
Random avatar

I have to say that since i own a limited version and have seen the Legend in person i'm not impressed by this lid. Its lookin to clean and compared to other authentic casts i've seen or own it looks like a toy....sorry to say that. After seeing the pics of a striped legend on this forum it seems like all this legend crap is just a promotional gag.