It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: still ugly
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:23 pm 

It's a painted C-scar, just to avoid controversy. :toothy

There is a lady who I'm trying to help. Years ago she was involved in an auto accident. Her body was in bad shape. They replaced her hip with titanium, and stitched her back together. But all kinds of troubles with her body chemistry, etc. took place. A close friend of mine introduced us and said that in the time he had known her, she had been in and out of the Mayo Clinic and nearly died on a few occasions. If it's not cancer-this it's organ deterioration-that because of the cocktail of drugs. The thing that really touched me was a story how she had to choose between paying for food versus medication. She's a single mom and a SW fan, and her love of sci-fi has essentially kept her alive.

So I thought, "Okay, that's it." If there's ever a cause, this will be it.

I don't really need to make money off my projects. But if I can create a stream of revenue to her to make her life a little better, it would be worth it. The prop maker involved in the Darth Ugly project shares my concern for this lady, so we're both figuring out things, projects, etc. to make this happen on an on-going basis.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:21 am 

Bravo Mac...thats just to damn awesome. So glad to see this working out for you.!! :salut

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:22 am 

CSMacLaren wrote:
It's a painted C-scar, just to avoid controversy. :toothy

There is a lady who I'm trying to help. Years ago she was involved in an auto accident. Her body was in bad shape. They replaced her hip with titanium, and stitched her back together. But all kinds of troubles with her body chemistry, etc. took place. A close friend of mine introduced us and said that in the time he had known her, she had been in and out of the Mayo Clinic and nearly died on a few occasions. If it's not cancer-this it's organ deterioration-that because of the cocktail of drugs. The thing that really touched me was a story how she had to choose between paying for food versus medication. She's a single mom and a SW fan, and her love of sci-fi has essentially kept her alive.

So I thought, "Okay, that's it." If there's ever a cause, this will be it.

I don't really need to make money off my projects. But if I can create a stream of revenue to her to make her life a little better, it would be worth it. The prop maker involved in the Darth Ugly project shares my concern for this lady, so we're both figuring out things, projects, etc. to make this happen on an on-going basis.

That's realy great from you. You have my deepest appreciation for this dedication.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:30 pm 

Here's a shot from the propmaker today. The first batch!

I imagine that Ob1Al's helmet isn't among this shot. He took his puppy home. :thumbsup

- Mac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 pm 

Fantastic work Mac and all involved. Looks menacing, very very menacing! Would not like to walk in to a bar to see these 5 put down their 3 in 1 oil and turn their heads my way!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:20 pm 

Big applause for a great cause and an amazing outcome on your long lasting project!
All the best to your friend and the success of this sale!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: still ugly and not your original work
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:39 pm 
Random avatar

I made the original helmet that was reworked for these. I did not give any one permission to alter them in anyway. I certanily did not give permission for CS to make money off them. Yes it was an ugly helmet but i made it myself. I made a lot star wars props that are funny as hell when you look back on them. So now that CS knows where it came from you can stop selling them!! Make your own and sell it!!! For anyone who doesn't believe me Here is some links from the Replica Prop Forum showing that i was making helmets at least a year before CS starting working reworking mine. The first Reveal helmet i made was an ANH helmet (which is when i made the first reveal parts for a helmet) I then made the "Ugly" helmet so it would look closer to a ROTJ one. I never realized that the "ugly" was mine until i saw the thread in the RPF junkyard and i began reading all the previous posts.
In the second post i was actually accused of recasting reveal parts, which was found to be BS. There is clearly evidence that i was making this stuff long before CS. So now he can quit making them, they were not his to begin with!!

http://www.therpf.com/f9/vader-helmet-project-11018/

Here's one on the reveal parts and helmets i was making in 2006

http://www.therpf.com/f9/who-does-wolf- ... -owe-2300/

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

I still have the vac-formed face mask I bought from you. And Mac has always known my stance on the use of the face mask he bought on eBay regarding him selling copies of his reworked version. However, he has full permission from GH regarding the use of the GH dome.

I gotta ask though, what is your connection to this guy Sid, ArmorMask, who sold these kits on eBay? I remember I bought my face mask directly from your JediJeffrey eBay account back in the day and had several chats with you then, but I had no idea the cast shown off here originally came from you. It didn't remind me of the vac-formed face mask I bought, so never made the connection. Haven't saved those finished fiberglass pictures of the full helmet you sold back then, but they didn't remind me of this piece either. None of the links you posted connects you with this particular dubbed "Ugly" cast. Could you present some pictures of its fabrication?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:45 pm 

JediJeffrey aka aschultz aka BANNED MEMBER Wolf Morgan X

(POSTING THIS ON THE PROP DEN & THE RPF)

Certainly, the burden of proof is on the accuser, not the accused. This is not a "dab of bondo then recast" project. Just review the side-by-side before-and-after shots. This has been a story arc of many years, and the community has basically supported this and recognized this as a fan sculpt due to the enormity of rework done. I'm therefore surprised you just showed up to attack it. Moreover, I did obtain permission where applicable.

[*]First off, I've never done business with you, and I've never acquired a helmet labeled "JediJeffrey" or even resembling your reveal, be it primary or secondary markets.

[*]The ugly kit I used was purchased off Sid Garand / Armormask. Are you him or in connection with him? Because if you are, I have a beef to pick with you marketing these kits fraudulently and for not processing a refund when asked, and it's taken you all these years to finally say something?!

[*]If you are not him but he's your friend, then I also have a beef to pick with you because all the time he's made money off these kits marketing these with the implication that these are cast off studio pieces, you could have said something and you never did.

[*]The two file attachments are the same helmet, and a side shot. Nice Reveal, but even the dome mount is not the same as the Armormask product!

[*]Of the first thread you posted as "proof" - the Vader Helmet Project RPF thread originated by No Humor Man - that is of a vacformed helmet with a smooth head. That bears no resemblance to the Armormask product at all. Moreover, it doesn't even look like your own reveal!

[*]Of the second thread, I guess that makes YOU Wolf Morgan X. Wow, you're recasting and TAKING PEOPLE'S MONEY and NOT SHIPPING PRODUCT?

[*]You also claim in PM that the starter helmet was not a DPCA recast but your own sculpt. Rrrright. Despite the misshapenness of the Armormask product, the tells of a DPCA are still there.

So, to conclude, I see no resemblance to the armormask kit I worked with compared with the one sideshot of your Reveal.

But even if I assume you had anything to do with Armormask's product, all you did was hack off the T-mount while recasting a Don Post Classic Action. The headcap on the armormask product was the first thing I hacked off. I rebuilt the neck and other parts of the face. So anything original you added was removed.

Now look at Darth Ugly on the left, and the original state Armormask on the right.

Based on the above photo, what original authorship claim do you have on my mask? What right do you have to my sculpting work? :)

Moreover, the dome of Darth Ugly ANH is a reworked GH ANH dome which GH himself has given permission. :)

The Darth Ugly ESB dome was cut up in to strips, repositioned, re-angled, and resembled, and bondo'ed together.

Again, based on the above, what original authorship claim do you have to put a stop to Darth Ugly sales? :)

Finally, you're accusing me of making money. I have actually not made any money but have put in hundred dollars in materials, tools, shipping and molding materials. The money that is generated after sales is going to help a single mom with disabilities. I have not recouped any money from this project. It's purely a humanitarian endeavor.

Thanks for the Monday morning amusement! :thumbsup

BTW, Admins, please ban this dolt. He's already been banned.

Quote:
Source: RPF BANNED MEMBER LIST

WolfmorganFX has now been added to the list, for poor business practices involving RPF members and also recasting another members work without strict permission.

AIM: scifipropsnw

Yahoo Messenger: wolfmorgan67

MSN Messenger: wolfmorgan

Email: wolfmorgan@hotmail.com

- Mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

Post #66 & #81 in the Wolf Morgan thread refers to JediJeffrey - they are two different people.

Still not seeing the similarity of the JediJeffrey reveal kit and the ArmorMask kit, though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:26 pm 
Random avatar

I'm not saying the pictures of the others are this helmet, what I'm saying is I was making this stuff way before CS was. Even if someone doesn't believe it was originally mine he ADMITS to using someone else's work. Like I knew back then this guy would take my stuff and recast it and then make money off it, he is simply trying to divert attention away from the fact that what he is doing is wrong, I thought taking other people's,work and calling it your own was frowned upon, am I wrong?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:10 pm 

You are right. And you are wrong. I don't want to argue with you on two threads. I've responded on the RPF at:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/anh-darth-ugly ... ost2819456

The Don Post Classic Action is a helmet source that is now considered in the public domain by the majority of the fandom due to the nonexistence of the original Don Post Studios, and the current owner of the DPS brand name not holding the original ESB license held by DPS. That license expired many years ago.

If someone directly copied a DPCA after the fact, I don't consider it "their work". Sure, the put effort into molding and casting it.

If someone modified it through adding, sharpening, resculpting, carving, etc. then yes, I consider that portion they modified "their work". The rest is still inherited directly from the original DPCA. If you cut off anything added by that someone, that which remains is still a DPCA. And given how soft the details were, how warped, it was a very inferior copy of the DPCA.

Darth Ugly is a deliberate resculpt, including manipulation, modification and complete rework to a majority of the surfaces to where an overlay of "before" and "after" are entirely different. That is MY work. And re-read this thread from the beginning. It's no mere effort. It's intensive, comprehensive. It's not even the same shape as the Armormask, let alone the same shape as a stock condition DPCA.

The spirit of "do not recast" is highly applicable to fans who either work heavily on projects where their own handiwork eclipse the original, or are original sculpts, or are limited reproductions of cast-off-originals that the original prop owners do not want to see enter the public domain (e.g. evilBay).

In short, Darth Ugly is not me taking other's people's "work" and calling it my own. I am the person who made Darth Ugly, period.

But honestly it sounds like your beef would be with Armormask, not me. You're claiming on RPF you have no connection with Armormask. If you cannot prove a connection between your alleged original helmet and the Armormask product, then I'm sorry to say this but your entire accusation is flawed and you're clutching at straws....

- Mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:21 pm 

Posted on RPF as well.

So to address your concerns that you are the creator of the original ugly and therefore from that authority say I'm not entitled to my own sculpt, and your supposed evidence is NoHumorMan's photo of your "JediJeffrey" mask, then let's examine the discrepancies.

Left: Your JediJeffrey vacformed mask, and Right: Armormask (the basis of Darth Ugly's faceplate).

Given that your product is a vacform, it would be slightly larger than whatever your original buck was. Moreover, given that NoHumorman already proceeded with his own modifications (I have had no time to dig up what mods he had done over time), I will do my best to them from this comparison.

The point is, if you are going to promote the fact that you're the maker of Darth Ugly's father, then your claim has to survive this comparison. Even if the comparison fails here or there, the majority of the observations here still hold strong:

1. Head shape of the JJ is different. It's more pronounced, fuller, and more rounded. In proportion to the face, it's quite large compared with the AM. The JJ's mask's rear opening is more generous and has a subtle hint to proportions of a Fyberdyne or GH ANH.

2. Neck shape. The JJ's neck corners are far more flared than the Armormask. Flaring is reminescent of a Fyberdyne or GH ANH.

3. Nose Shape. This is discrepancy may be due to fan rework or the thickness of the vacform plastic, but the mouthwalls look thicker.

4. Chin triangle shape - the AM has rounded corners. Yours are sharp.

5. Right (as you view it) whisker shape is shallow. The AM's right whisker is far more pronounced.

6. The JJ's left cheek's upper ridge is straighter than the more curved line of the AM.

7. Nose bridge of the JJ is much, much wider than the AM.

8. Upper inner eyelid of the JJ is shallower than the AM. The AM has the CORRECT shape as inherited from the Don Post Classic Action.

But notice this:

Again, your mask bears some similarity with a GH ANH. Why are your inner eyelids a dead-ringer to a GH ANH's instead of a DPCA?

9. Both cheek corner of JJ is sharp, even for vacformed plastic. Conversely, both cheek corners of the AM are very blunt (don't know if this due to NHM's mods).

10. Your upper tubes curve in. The AM are a bit more straight.

11. The upper surface cheeks side edges are noteworthy. Yours are much more straight compared with the DPCA.

12. The JJ's crown is smooth and rounded. The AM has a ridiculous ash tray.

13. The frown bump on the JJ is sanded down in the same fashion as a GH ANH. And it's longer. The surviving frown bump of the AM is due to where it ends on the DPCA - and where the DPCA's "T" shaped mount began. Whoever worked on the AM ground the T-mount off and made the forehead plain but did not rework the frown bump to original length like I had.

So based on the above, I find it quite difficult to believe that you are the owner or sculptor of the original Armormask. The JediJeffrey does not have the same tells as the Don Post Classic Action on which the Armormask is based. And, quite frankly, the JediJeffrey actually has various surviving tells of its connection to the Ghost Host ANH.

Thus my question, did you obtain permission before you vacformed his helmet?

You've had enough time using the Darth Ugly threads on the RPF and Den as your soapbox. Live well, sir. And if you still somehow feel within all your logic that you're the daddy of Darth Ugly, then please take comfort in the fact that Ugly is making a difference in the life of that disabled fan we are trying to help, and she has written us expressing how much she's been blown away that a community would rise up to support her in her hour of need.

- Mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:17 pm 
Random avatar

The Ugly did not come from the Vacuumformed one. I have made many helmets over the years, which are either my own sculpt or from masks with direct linage to an original. You have done neither. If my original one was so bad then why didn't you make your own, because you can't. Quit trying to justify your actions. It's either ok to rework someone elses itemswork and call it your own or it's not. It seems like recasters are given the death penalty, which they should, so what does that make you? You admit it's not yours and it's still ok to make and sell them? Why don't you make your own helmet from scratch if your so good at it?
I seriously doubt your donating the money, nice sob story though.
Is it ok to steal other peoples work as long as your donating the money? I don't think so.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:26 pm 

jedijeffrey wrote:
The Ugly did not come from the Vacuumformed one. I have made many helmets over the years, which are either my own sculpt or from masks with direct linage to an original. You have done neither. If my original one was so bad then why didn't you make your own, because you can't. Quit trying to justify your actions. It's either ok to rework someone elses itemswork and call it your own or it's not. It seems like recasters are given the death penalty, which they should, so what does that make you? You admit it's not yours and it's still ok to make and sell them? Why don't you make your own helmet from scratch if your so good at it?
I seriously doubt your donating the money, nice sob story though.
Is it ok to steal other peoples work as long as your donating the money? I don't think so.

I sense quite a bit of deflecting on your part. You mentioned being called a recaster before. And your comment about being given the death penalty sounds like your personal past experience. Your vacformed one looks like a recast to me. Did you get permission from Ghost Host before you copied his mask?

And this was someone's work? Rubbish. I'd like you to prove it. I've put up with umpteen photos and what have you put up? I removed all "work". And, BTW, I do have a DP CA in my possession. I don't suppose you want me to mold off of that and start all over again or if you want a copy....

"If your original" was bad? You have NOT proven you have anything to do with my project.

I can't sculpt my own? Well, here's proof I can:

At this rate, I think you were deeply hurt at some point by being accused of recasting yourself, and now you're trying to take it out on someone else. Go bother someone else. But thanks for the Monday amusement. This brightened my day. :thumbsup

- Mac

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next