It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Assembly: What Did I Do Wrong?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:03 am 

dcarty wrote:
Interesting--no gap on the original. My PP helmet arrived today as well. I'm still at work so I haven't cut into it yet--lol. Because of this issue I was going to do some research over at FISD et al and see what results people were having assembling their helmets.

Dave

As I mentioned before, Rob suggested on the FISD to not use the original holes. Related to the gap between the facemask and the cap and back I think a minority of the movie helmets(stunt)
had that gap, but just a minority. I took borrowed two pics from Jez website that prove this.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.p ... opic=17520

I probably will assemble my helmet this weekend so I will ignore the original holes ;)

Cheers

A

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:55 am 

Quote:
Related to the gap between the facemask and the cap and back I think a minority of the movie helmets(stunt)
had that gap, but just a minority. I took borrowed two pics from Jez website that prove this

do you mean the browless trooper lids ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:20 am 

Well some gap is normal. Most helmets have a slight one I think. But most of the time not as severe as what we are talking about.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:27 am 

troopermaster wrote:
dcarty wrote:
If you're using the original holes then it could be that the gap is there on the original helmet too

No gap on the original helmet....
...and your using the original holes and you have a gap?

How can this be?

That's a good question.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:29 am 
Random avatar
AJCG wrote:
dcarty wrote:
As I mentioned before, Rob suggested on the FISD to not use the original holes.

Why shouldn't you use the original holes if the original helmet lined up without any gaps?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:06 am 

Well that is the question. It doesnt make a lick of sense and now I've got two holes in my helmet that though original, dont seem to work. Just a very strange problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

One thing I could imagine is that when the heated stretched material starts cooling it retracts if it isn't supported. This helmet is HUGE compared to what I've experienced before with the AP and the TE HDPE helmet, but it seems long in the face and not as wide - which is why I'm suggesting that it retracted on the horizontal plane, while keeping the shape in the vertical plane. At least that's my observation. The 4 mm extra further back on either side from the original rivet holes isn't so much that it detracts from the look, but seeing as the original sits flush with the brow when using those holes would suggest something is happening with some of the face pieces when cooling, no?

I don't believe the TE, AP or other helmets have the impressions of the original rivet holes, so it will make it more difficult to ascertain whether the issue is universal to those as well and simply an artifact of the vac-forming in general.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:11 pm 

troopermaster wrote:
AJCG wrote:
dcarty wrote:
As I mentioned before, Rob suggested on the FISD to not use the original holes.

Why shouldn't you use the original holes if the original helmet lined up without any gaps?

Paul, I agree with you 100%. This is a question more suitable for Rob and Simon. In theory if you want to assemble any RS helmet and match the original helmet you should make holes where the impression of the original ones are. Obviously this is not working for anyone.

So the options are to make new holes or try to get an answer from Simon himself. I also wanted to point that only three marks impression from the original rivet holes are vissible on the face mask.

Cheers

A

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:20 am 

Yeah, I mocked up my RS Helmet and found that the gap was there when I lined up the original holes too.

Post subject: Re: My RS Props Helmet
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

I took the plunge of doing the hole a additional tad bit further back on one side when I'd disassembled the helmet anyway when filing the eyes to ESB spec. Looking better.

Here it is next to my TE RotJ fiberglass helmet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:12 pm 

It is looking very nice Carsten. I really like the way you trimmed the eyes :cheers

Cheers

A

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks man. Gonna do the ears sometime next week, so I can get it fully assembled. Will probably give it a little paint during that week as well.

Seeing as I'm going ESB, I should probably try and find some ESB style decals. Are these the ones to get? http://trooperbay.com/te-derived-esb-st ... et-decals/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:11 am 

Looks beautiful Carsten :thumbsup

Ben

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:03 am 

No Humor Man wrote:
Thanks man. Gonna do the ears sometime next week, so I can get it fully assembled. Will probably give it a little paint during that week as well.

Seeing as I'm going ESB, I should probably try and find some ESB style decals. Are these the ones to get? http://trooperbay.com/te-derived-esb-st ... et-decals/

Can't way to see more of you progress, looking sharp!
Related to the decals I probably would go in a completely different direction. Mike decals are good but the best decals I have seen so far and are spot on are made by Naroid who is member here(The only thing is I am not sure if sell those decal sets he makes himself); this link may convince you :salut

3-vt3523.html?start=30

Cheers

A

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:09 pm 

Very cool Carsten. Looks like it coming together pretty good. I have no info on the Naroid decals, other than what I've seen in his threads. They do look pretty fantastic. I have perchased several sets over a period of time from Trooperbay however, and have always been real happy with the look and quality.