It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Sideshow 1:1 Vader
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:22 am 

VaderCapeC wrote:
Can anyone clarify if what sideshow is using to make their 1:1 life size statues Boba fett ,Han solo in carbonite and the Darth vader ROTJ.
Are they cast from original moulds or is it a 3d scan or something of that nature.

I miss what Don Post did and how awesome it was when you would get his catalog back in the late 90's with the Lucasfilm Archive collection,it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up with excitement.

what is the general view of the rotj vader is its sideshows or is it someone elses creation.

Thank you to all!

Does sometimes anyone read what i write ? :lol

Quote from Tom Spina about the Boba Fett

Hey guys,

Glad folks are liking this one! A little more detailed breakdown of the credits...

Chris Jones created the body and armor. Rich Krusell created the boots (and wore them while Brian Lewis and I molded his feet!). Brian, Mike Thomas, Patrick Louie, Melissa Dooley and myself refined the parts for production and created some of the accessories, the scalps, cape, etc. Mike Mason provided masters for the blasters. Christian Hill provided the jetpack. Tony Turner and Kitty Hebert tackled the soft goods and belts. Richard Riley was our inspiration for the base design. Alex Alva, Jason Miller and the "New Wookiee Workshop" did the final assembly and paint... and Art was a huge help in the reference department.

And of course all of this was with input from LFL and the incredible design team at Sideshow Collectibles.

Art will soon be posting up a news item with a little more info (and hopefully more pics from the floor!). This was a tremendous effort involving quite a number of people and I couldn't be more proud of the first proto which is now on display SDCC!

Thanks again to all involved!

best,
Tom

[COLOR="silver"]- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR]

Ha! First post... I was waiting for a good reason to post up here on TDH... guess this is as good as any!

Tom

Infos out of the TDH.
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f22/side ... ett-45354/

So as you can read the Boba Fett was a project which Sideshow has done with the fanmade prop community out of the TDH.
Therefore my thought the Vader also comes from this section...
I don't think that any parts come "direct" from some screen used stuff.
As for the Vader i think the hard parts are Gino's stuff or what he bought from other guys( for example the beltbuckle from Michael) but not say where he bought it. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:00 pm 

interesting,
they could have easily made it out of their own parts they created themselves. or received from the LFL archives. but from what was said they didn't.
that would be very nice if they did this with the Vader as well. but what i find intriguing the most is LFL allowing them use the fan made stuff.

that's pretty cool. :as2 :headbang

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:48 pm 

DynamicMenace wrote:
interesting,
they could have easily made it out of their own parts they created themselves. or received from the LFL archives. but from what was said they didn't.
that would be very nice if they did this with the Vader as well. but what i find intriguing the most is LFL allowing them use the fan made stuff.

For LFL it might not be too different than letting Sideshow go with their "artistic interpretation" and own sculpts

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:33 pm 

jkno wrote:
DynamicMenace wrote:
interesting,

For LFL it might not be too different than letting Sideshow go with their "artistic interpretation" and own sculpts

yeah that's true, good point. but LFL would have more control over SS on how they go about making the item if they had SS do it them selves. to where the fan made stuff is already made and has no control. but i guess if LFL didn't want SS to use them they could have SS make their own to where they would have the control to have it made. thats all iwas pointing out..because we all know how LFL like to have total control over everything that is being produced under license. lol

so its very cool of LFL to let SS use fan made items.. thank you LFL .. :toothy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Gino on RS wrote:
I was fortunate enough to develop the 1:1 Darth Vader ROTJ for Sideshow Collectibles.
I sculpted the custom mannequin with my friend Erik Gaadt, and the talented Kristina Leigh made all the fabric based items.
Sideshow's goal for this piece was not necessarily to create a rough prop accurate statue down to the last booger, but rather an idealized representation of what we feel captured the overall essence of Vader.
The mannequin was based on the physique of David Prowse and was strategically partitioned out into sections to make shipping less expensive and assembly easier.
The costume components are non-wearable and non-removable.
In the pics/videos, the gloves are only stand-ins as they were not ready for SDCC.
The final gloves will be much more accurate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:38 am 

I do not see how the SS is on par with the Rubies...Even tho I wasnt invovled in this project I still feel abit insalted. Compare the Armors!!! The SS has much better chest armor, with bells that actually line up properly. It also has ACTUAL soft parts. The dome looks tons better. Cape looks better. The Body shape is MUCH better with a better pose. The robe has freakin pleats for crying out loud,, impressive detail comming from a licensed pount of view!! I honestly dont see anything wrong with the chest box. It looks spot on to ROTJ. Only thing innaccurte here are the gloves as they were barrowed.

This is not Gino's personal lifesize. Its an actual proto for SS. The helmet and the armor was sculpted for this life size.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:26 pm 

DynamicMenace wrote:
so its very cool of LFL to let SS use fan made items.. thank you LFL .. :toothy

I showed a photo comparison of the striking similarities between the Sideshow Vader bust and Portumac's ROTJ. Porty later on confirmed he had been recast.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )