It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: The New RSProps/SiMan Helmet
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:41 pm 

Ah, I see. The title of the RPF thread has "HDPE" in quotes and they don't make any mention of it being polypropylene within the thread. Thank you for the link--I was looking around over at the whitearmorforum but hadn't found anything yet. So it's a similar kind of plastic to HDPE (without getting into the technicalities of the different polymers) and in the correct thickness and color.

Until someone finds a warehouse full of new old stock HDPE in the correct color, or hitches a ride in the TARDIS back to 1976, this is the closest we have ever gotten or are likely to get for now. Also the fact that it is made of PP gives it a built-in tell that doesn't interfere with general accuracy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:43 am 

I think you will find alot of people believe the original is PP now after some research.It will never get any better than this.99,9% of people wouldn`t know the difference of PP to HDPE anyway. :cool:

ben

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:44 am 
Random avatar

I don't think it's set in stone that the originals were made from HDPE. IIRC it was just an assumption back in the TE days, based on the general feeling of the plastic and how similar it was to HDPE milk cartons. From there it spread like fact. PP and HDPE are part of the same plastic 'family' so to speak, and are pretty much the same to touch and work with. Whats exciting (and lends great credence to the PP theory) is that it's a plastic that was (still is?) AVAILABLE in the correct thickness and colour. HDPE would have to be custom made.

In the past there has been a few discussions regarding the HDPE theory, by people who have handled this original. Including Troopermaster. The consensus now is that PP is the more realistic original material.

Sorry for the OT guys :cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:45 am 
Random avatar

Oops.. Beaten to the punch by a fellow Aussie :blah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:04 am 

Interesting, I hadn't been keeping up with research on the Trooper front. I was under the impression that HDPE had been established--like you say the danger of repeating an assumption until it is accepted as fact.

Thankfully, I was able to snag one of these and hope I'll be able to grab the armor at some point too.

Cheers,

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:14 am 

fon wrote:
Oops.. Beaten to the punch by a fellow Aussie :blah

:blah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:19 am 

dcarty wrote:
Interesting, I hadn't been keeping up with research on the Trooper front. I was under the impression that HDPE had been established--like you say the danger of repeating an assumption until it is accepted as fact.

Thankfully, I was able to snag one of these and hope I'll be able to grab the armor at some point too.

Cheers,

Dave

These guys have really brought alot to the table when it concerns ANH Stormys.Their willingness to share everything is just unprecedented.
Definetly grab their armor,you`ll not be dissapointed.Comparing it to ROTJ based ANH armor is like comparing apples and oranges.

By the way I love your vader helmet. :thumbsup

Ben