It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Stone's new studio (Basic Braging Thread)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:14 pm 

What does 9 hours of cleaning do to a filthy work place? Clogs your sinuses with dust, thats what. :thumbsup

This is just mostly me boasting and showing off a bit. But this photo heavy posting should give you an idea of just how usable the studio now is. I even hung up the dart board. :cool:

But it has been 5 months in the making since we bought this place last September. The paint booth still does not have doors on it yet. And the bulk of the shop still is not even half finished, but it is usable non the less and I have no room to complain.

We have had to replace the furnace and only have less than half the lights hung up and working. Hired an electrician to come in and re-wire the place for 200 amp service. It has been a general money pit to say the least. But operating my now full time hobby as a sole income has been very rewarding so far.

Post subject: Re: Stone's new studio (Basic Braging Thread)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:17 pm 

NICE!! That's a great paint booth..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:02 pm 

Now that is impressive!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:52 am 

Hey, where is the paint shaker?

Nice setup!

Doug

Post subject: Re: Stone's new studio (Basic Bragging Thread)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:49 am 

wannab wrote:
Hey, where is the paint shaker?

Nice setup!

Doug

So far just a shoe shaker type of thing. Haven't gotten around to bolting it down with a stand just yet. :cool:

And thanks, very kind of you all to say.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Nice! :cool: Thanks for the peek inside your workplace! :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:25 pm 

Somebody asked me yesterday. "So where are the pix of all of your molds, you do have molds, don't you?" Yes, and sorry but they were intentionally kept out of camera frame. Just as material labels and other things that I had to stack personal items in front of to hide.

I thought that this would be the ideal time to show off the place. Before the real work benches are set up, and full with projects. There are some questions that I just don't want to have to answer. :cheers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Good luck with that place. Looks great. Envy the space and professional look to the whole thing! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:05 am 
Site Admin

Very cool! :thumbsup All I have is a very messy table in a poorly lighted basement. :eek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:36 pm 

Darth Fetty wrote:
Very cool! :thumbsup All I have is a very messy table in a poorly lighted basement. :eek

Think yourself lucky. All I have is a Black and Decker work bench outside the back door !!! :toothy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:55 pm 

There is an old saying. "If you are going to the races, and all that you have is a donkey? Ride the donkey." Having any sort of a work place puts you ahead of when you didn't.

I started out with an un insulated, 8' X 8' garden shed that I had to share space with stored Holiday decorations, stand up air compressor, and a lawn mower. Latter, I added a 12' X 12' expansion onto it and I felt like I was in hog heaven because of all the extra space. Latter still, I added an extra 12' X 20" that caught the attention of my neighbors.

Somebody complained to the city about the fumes and that I was to close to the house and property lines for a building of such a size and I was made to tear it down after my building permit was revoked due in large to some red tape from zoning laws. There is a very lengthy and detailed story behind that time in my life. But to say that it gave me resolve to move to a place in which I can do what I like without anyone having legal issues with me or with what I am doing. Life is never always an easy road. But you must pick a direction and stay with it or you will never get to where you want.

And thanks, Carsten. I like that someone thinks it all looks professional. All that I was trying to do was to create an environment for myself that felt like it belonged to someone else and that proper respect be paid to the space keeping it clean and productive. For some reason little messes bother me more than big piles of trash. Some day soon, I hope to have a near spotless work environment. That is so hard to do right now as sawdust is my main decor in most areas. :cheers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:15 pm 

Darth Stone wrote:
Somebody complained to the city about the fumes and that I was to close to the house and property lines for a building of such a size and I was made to tear it down after my building permit was revoked due in large to some red tape from zoning laws. There is a very lengthy and detailed story behind that time in my life. But to say that it gave me resolve to move to a place in which I can do what I like without anyone having legal issues with me or with what I am doing. Life is never always an easy road. But you must pick a direction and stay with it or you will never get to where you want.

So are the photos in Post #1 new place you moved to and the new shop you built after you were made to tear down your building?

Or are they photos if your old building which now has to be torn down? Sorry, confused about the sequence of events.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:54 am 

Hey, Mac

The first pix are of the new, and quite permanent work shop. The latter ones are of the shop I had to tear down last year.

I am currently legal, and to the letter correct for my zoning and insurance purposes. Heck, I even have a tax license and permit these days.

My point is, I ain't going nowhere any time soon. :cheers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:48 pm 

I'm very envious Kent, I am moving to a new home in the next couple of weeks and except for a fridge and a tumble dryer, I shall have a garage all to myself. And once there i get to play.

Loz

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:49 pm 

SL1933 wrote:
I'm very envious Kent, I am moving to a new home in the next couple of weeks and except for a fridge and a tumble dryer, I shall have a garage all to myself. And once there i get to play.

Loz

Right on, and congrats! :cheers